Battery insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my battery replaced this morning at BATTERIES PLUS and as they were installing the battery, I requested that the outer case (insulator) be replaced. I was informed that in Hot FL weather, I would extend batty life by leaving it off. I had them install it as original. I think the side insulation keeps extra engine heat from the battery and it should remain on. YES or NO. Ed

Who told you the life would be extended by leaving it off?...the Batteries Plus worker?

Heat kills more batteries than cold weather...I'd put it on.

Ed

Insulation works both ways. It can keep heat out and it can keep heat in. Since the battery is not a heat source, then it is appropriate to keep the heat OUT of the battery. The idiot that told you that was just being lazy. It's easier to replace a battery when you don't have to put all the insulation and covers back on.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Insulation works both ways. It can keep heat out and it can keep heat in.

+1
Depends on how much stop and go driving you do and how much heat it's exposed to while under the hood.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
my vote would be that it might reduce radiant heat hitting the battery, from the engine.

If it were silver or white, it might reduce radiant heat. However, most are black or dark gray, so they would actually soak up radiant heat.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Insulation works both ways. It can keep heat out and it can keep heat in.

+1
Depends on how much stop and go driving you do and how much heat it's exposed to while under the hood.
Anything under the hood is going to get heat soaked eventually . I think the insulation is to keep the battery warm in cold locales. If it was insulated against engine bay heat, the battery would be in a sealed compartment with radiant insulation on the outside instead of batt-type insulation on the inside.

I think the dude had a point, but it was mired in convenience and lack of craftsmanship. No battery cover looks hack, nicely done OP!

I had the battery insulation replaced as it came from the factory because, I do believe that the radiant heat plus the hot air from the radiator & AC condenser is stopped by the 1/2 inch or so gap between the battery case and the actual battery. I only had one course in thermodynamics in college but, believe my decision was correct. Ed

I live in a potentially hot and cold climate -40C to +40C (-40F to 104F) from dead winter to blazing summer. I have never had any type of insulation on any of my batteries in any car I have owned. My batteries typically last 10 years. None of my cars have the battery directly behind the radiator, they are all off to the side of the engine bay..(or under the rear passenger seat (LeSabre only)

If it is really cold and the truck or car will sit for more than a couple of days, I will put a battery charger on the battery (My CTEK smart charger has a cold weather function that I use for precisely this purpose.) The engine fires up every time even at -40C (or F) Charging the battery keeps it at the optimum temperature due to the electrical energy being applied and keeps the cold cranking amperes at their peak.

I think the average temp in Alberta is much lower than where I live. Cooler climate = long battery life. My battery is also off to the side but, the fans blow forcefully over the complete engine bay and the radiators is at >200F. I agree that charging to keep the battery at optimal is the way to go. Ed

Guy from Canada talks about his battery lasting ten years. LMAO. We are LUCKY to get 2.5 years out of a non-factory battery down here in Florida. Year round heat kills batteries.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Who told you the life would be extended by leaving it off?...the Batteries Plus worker?

Heat kills more batteries than cold weather...I'd put it on.

Ed

Agree and bottom line is the car manufacturer spent an extra 25 cents (maybe more) or so when building the vehicle to put it there, so there is a reason or they would not have.
I have one in my Durango and keep it there, we live where it is 90 to 100 degrees for 3 to 4 months a year, including this week at the end of Sept right through next week!

They use the air gap between the battery and overcase for insulation. I agree that reflective tape would help radiant heat but, you still have hot air blowing on the battery. . Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back