Ravenol SSL 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SlavaB
I think I'm missing smth, why there is so much attention around this oil? Is it really that better than M1, Castrol 0w40?

It has more PAO than either of them; it is entirely PAO-based, and can be procured for an extremely attractive price. On top of that, unlike either of those two oils, it is approved for use in my SRT, which really isn't a huge concern, but a nice touch. The specs on it are REALLY good; very low Noack, wicked cold temp performance....etc.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Got my 20L today:

No thought of first doing a UOA before buying more?

Nope, I don't think I need to.

LOLMAO! I was bout to say same thing!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Got my 20L today:

No thought of first doing a UOA before buying more?

Nope, I don't think I need to.

LOLMAO! I was bout to say same thing!

So there is no reason to UOA this current run of Ravenol
21.gif

I think I'm missing smth, why there is so much attention around this oil? Is it really that better than M1, Castrol 0w40?

It has more PAO than either of them; it is entirely PAO-based, and can be procured for an extremely attractive price. On top of that, unlike either of those two oils, it is approved for use in my SRT, which really isn't a huge concern, but a nice touch. The specs on it are REALLY good; very low Noack, wicked cold temp performance....etc.

Signed up for blauparts specials.
I know I don't need more oil (have enough of 0w40 for the next 3 OCI) but I'm sure now I'm gonna buy it if the price is right
smile.gif

So there is no reason to UOA this current run of Ravenol
21.gif

No no, I'm certainly going to UOA it, but i expect that what I can glean from the UOA will be that it was suitable for continued use with reasonable levels of contamination.

Signed up for blauparts specials.
I know I don't need more oil (have enough of 0w40 for the next 3 OCI) but I'm sure now I'm gonna buy it if the price is right
smile.gif

Excellent
grin.gif

My Lord... give me strength...
HEY OK, inversely question: In which universe Castrol 0W-40 is comparable with M1 0W-40? I think, I missing something
wink.gif
Castrol 0W-40 is since few years a average oil. Now its completely another formulation as at the beginning of his fist PR campaigns. Grasp it (finally).

SSL is valent. Addpack is valent and base oils are fortiori valent.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
HEY OK, inversely question: In which universe Castrol 0W-40 is comparable with M1 0W-40? I think, I missing something
wink.gif
Castrol 0W-40 is since few years a average oil. Now its completely another formulation as at the beginning of his fist PR campaigns. Grasp it (finally).

M1 0W40 was always OK oil, but never better than Castrol 0W40 or any oil of that class. Both oils are of superb quality.
However, based on my several UOA's of M1 0W40 (old VISOM version) they have serious problem in TBN retention. I found that also in last UOA of M1 5W30 EP in my port injected engine in Toyota Sienna.
On other hand, Castrol 0W40 and 0W30 always had very strong stay in grade performance (M1 has this too), but also very strong TBN retention.
In this universe, I choose Castrol 0W40 and 0W30 over M1 0W40 for my VW Tiguan.

Last edited:
TBN? TBN is ok, when its ok. How poor was it?
I self don't know better or worse TBN. TBN is "reserve". If you have reserve, you have reserve. 4, 3 or 1.68... its reserve
wink.gif
Its furthemore all good, if you have fruthemore reserve. For me the oil shall not "retention" TBN. TBN have to work (imho)

Wear more or less ok, but stay in grade for 40?
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22545925
In my buddies BMW Alpina B3 S Biturbo (N54B30) it was after 9.400 miles a 0W-30 (11.70). NewLife was 9.200 miles later, on 13.15.

Now M1 0W-40 is no more NewLife and primarily, no more Venom
cry.gif
I also don't like it, not anymore. I had love Venom.
Castrol 0W-30 is one of a better 0W-30. For 0W-40 its no longer applicable.

Do it. Its ok
02.gif
This oil will be not take blow up the engine. Its not the best, but also not catastrophic decision.

But extol Castrol 0W-40, now, it will be no one oil-nerd understand in the EU. We were quite pis... with Castrol, as we find out (in expensive spectra analyses) that the base oils are worse than before (with equate prices) and Castrol pump their best base oils now mostle to 0W-30 (504 & Co.) and 508 oils.
Not its GropuIII and are also very sensitive for fuel discharge. IMHO (own observations auf UOAs) double sensitive than before.

No, thanks, Use it. Keep it.

edit:
All of this, imho. This is not academic analysis nor of course stand up in court stuff
23.gif

Last edited:
wink.gif

Well, I'm this current universe all 3 oils (M1, Castrol and Ravenol) hold MB 229.5 spec, which is not an average spec that every oil has. More to that, an oil should be able to handle an extended OCI. And while I get that Ravenol seems to have better qualities overall, it doesn't mean that Castrol or M1 is trash. M1 used to be a factory fill for MB for a long time, so I think German engineers know what they're doing

edyvw I hear you. Haven't tried Castrol yet since got enough of M1 on sale and the car seem to love it so far. I'm not pushing it to 10k, only put like 4K a year so works perfectly fine and not concerned about TBN

Slava, I have never wrote, Castrol 0W-40 is "trash". Please a little bit more alertness
wink.gif

229.5 is a quite modest approval. Its good, but nothing demanding in it. Any contemporary A3 should be handle 229.5.

Last edited:
TBN? TBN is ok, when its ok. How poor was it?
I self don't know better or worse TBN. TBN is "reserve". If you have reserve, you have reserve. 4, 3 or 1.68... its reserve
wink.gif
Its furthemore all good, if you have fruthemore reserve. For me the oil shall not "retention" TBN. TBN have to work (imho)

Wear more or less ok, but stay in grade for 40?
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22545925
In my buddies BMW Alpina B3 S Biturbo (N54B30) it was after 9.400 miles a 0W-30 (11.70). NewLife was 9.200 miles later, on 13.15.

Now M1 0W-40 is no more NewLife and primarily, no more Venom
cry.gif
I also don't like it, not anymore. I had love Venom.
Castrol 0W-30 is one of a better 0W-30. For 0W-40 its no longer applicable.

Do it. Its ok
02.gif
This oil will be not take blow up the engine. Its not the best, but also not catastrophic decision.

But extol Castrol 0W-40, now, it will be no one oil-nerd understand in the EU. We were quite pis... with Castrol, as we find out (in expensive spectra analyses) that the base oils are worse than before (with equate prices) and Castrol pump their best base oils now mostle to 0W-30 (504 & Co.) and 508 oils.
Not its GropuIII and are also very sensitive for fuel discharge. IMHO (own observations auf UOAs) double sensitive than before.

No, thanks, Use it. Keep it.

edit:
All of this, imho. This is not academic analysis nor of course stand up in court stuff
23.gif

Keep in mind that until 2018 the US did not have ULSG (Ultra Low-Sulphur Gasoline). The higher sulphur levels might be partly responsible for TBN depletion in US markets when in service for 16k km

Yep. Ok. This is a point.
We have it already for so long, that we have no more extra names for this. Also not "ultra" nor "mega" and nor "hyper"...
wink.gif

Slava, I have never wrote, Castrol 0W-40 is "trash". Please a little bit more alertness
wink.gif

229.5 is a quite modest approval. Its good, but nothing demanding in it. Any contemporary A3 should be handle 229.5.

Well, read your message again.
With all your sighs like "lord give me strength and other", you sound more like acting than making an argument.

wink.gif

With all your sighs like "lord give me strength and other", you sound more like acting than making an argument.

Think he joined the wrong forum... aaahh!.. yodas little friend you seek...

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
wink.gif

IMO english obviously isn't Lowflyers native language so sometimes there's a loss in translation.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
wink.gif

IMO english obviously isn't Lowflyers native language so sometimes there's a loss in translation.

ohh...didn't mean hes english. Google Lowflyers location

wink.gif

This is easy. You must simply read 100%, not only first 30% of messages…

I have already wrote it: What I mostly like on Bitog is, that the focus is never on person. Only on the matter. Excellent forum, excellent folks…

Good job guys. Once again...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back