Did/Do you work more than 40 hrs on a regular basis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Out of curiosity, what is it with one particular poster wanting to know about peoples' savings, retirement, living and working habits, and a bunch of other somewhat personal information?

It comes across weirdly personal, and almost fishing for identity information to me...

If someone with enough of a CONUS footprint to be posting on this forum wants to mess with my identity, they're welcome to play.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Out of curiosity, what is it with one particular poster wanting to know about peoples' savings, retirement, living and working habits, and a bunch of other somewhat personal information?

It comes across weirdly personal, and almost fishing for identity information to me...

It is called getting people to talk about topics they have knowledge about. Forums are about talking and sharing. If you are uncomfortable sharing than don't.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by madRiver
I actually get physically and mentally ill working more then 9 hrs in a day.

Same.
I've tried several times when younger (20's etc) to work longer than 8 hours.
Started to get a fever, eye sight diminished, stomach problems, lashing out on GF needlessly etc.
That's all it took for me to realize it's not worth my sanity and health!
crazy2.gif

In western society it's seen as abnormal NOT to work yourself into the grave early.
I'm sorry, but there's nobody in my life that I feel I need to impress through my suffering.
coffee2.gif

Meh. I prefer my 12 to 16 hour work blocks in exchange for having the rest of the week off. I suffer none of your illness, though.

Diminishing returns as the day extends for people in the job I do works requires intense thinking, I don't do the monkey work anymore, I just plan, break it out and down so the monkeys can work it out.

I know when reviewing my reports work when they hit hour 7(normal) of their day and beyond. It is evident. It varies amongst professions.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Diminishing returns as the day extends for people in the job I do works requires intense thinking, I don't do the monkey work anymore, I just plan, break it out and down so the monkeys can work it out.

I know when reviewing my reports work when they hit hour 7(normal) of their day and beyond. It is evident. It varies amongst professions.

Yes, I do "critical work", too. It is what it is. Somehow I manage to be very effective.

When I was younger and in the Navy we worked lots of free overtime, weird shifts, weekends and Holidays.

Working at the my last job I would average 5 to 10 hours of overtime a month so not too much.

I just started a new job with the government I suspect 20 hours a year at most. I am good with that.

Same job for 36 years now. First 20 years or so was constant 50-60 hours a week. 1.5 after 40 so a lot of money, last 10-15 years it's pretty much 40 a week and now that i'm older I am fine with that.

Mechanical/Aerospace Engineer here. I work 38-40hrs each week. OT is rare, but can really do it whenever we want based on project demand. Any OT is paid beyond 40hr at our hourly rate when we do which is nice. At most, a few hours here and there.

In at 7am and out at 3:15 nearly every day. A good work/life balance is mandatory for me. I don't want to be here any longer than I need to be!

Last edited:
I try not to. Being salary it means free work for the company--or that I'm now making less per hour. However I want to look at it. At times I will put in more, after all, that is how you justify a raise. But as I get older I'm starting to think I'd rather have more time than money. Both would be nice but I'm not getting any younger.

Originally Posted by bradepb
Same job for 36 years now. First 20 years or so was constant 50-60 hours a week. 1.5 after 40 so a lot of money, last 10-15 years it's pretty much 40 a week and now that i'm older I am fine with that.

When I did field service the clock started when I left my house. I worked 40 hours Mon - Thurs..... Fri was doing admin and paperwork at home for 10 hours OT that boss preapproved.

Loved that schedule cause I didn't punch a clock and I worked alone, just needed to keep my accounts and boss happy. Company metrics were very easy to meet.

Field Technician
I clock on, in my driveway. We need to reach 40 hours and take care of our customers. I typically have 2 hours OT a week, 6 hours max. We have guys pushing 70-80 a week. Usually whatever you want to get.

TO THE YOUNGER FOLKS HERE: Don't work your life away! All things in moderation.

Please do not do what I did and don't make the mistakes I made (work way too much for too long, no free time) . I've been very successful, saved money, own an airplane, and I've had fun (at work) , taken risks and survived. But what I did not count on was rapidly deteriorating health. I can't do anything anymore. I'm tired beyond belief, and nothing works. All that work and savings, for what? So I can suffer with a full bank account? I can't do any of the things I like.

1) Have children. I did not, boss recognized that I could work anytime, anywhere (to his advantage) . If you are childless, your boss will take advantage of your time too. Note: you will be insufficiently compensated, as it will be expected.
2) Limit your hours. If you are competent and implement good practices, and regularly can't finish a task in time, it's up to management to provide support. The same applies to self employment. MANAGE YOUR TIME and get help when you need it.
3) Time is the whole of your capital. Recognize the extreme value (cost) of your free time.
4) Take your vacation time and sick time, as soon as you can. It has a magical way of evaporating.
5) Don't be afraid to change jobs (appropriately of course) . Always keep feelers out.
6) Go home on time and come in a touch early. You need no excuse to do so. Don't stay an extra minute unless absolutely necessary.

I came really close to checking out a couple of years ago. I was working away from home both times, and all I could think about was how stupid I was to be working so hard. And how useless all that work was. Nobody on their death bed is glad they worked so much. I missed out on life itself. Don't do that.

Here is NOT ME:

[Linked Image from sequoyahmarina.net]

[Linked Image from travelwyoming.com]

[Linked Image from travelwyoming.com]

[Linked Image from mensjournal.com]

Here I am:

[Linked Image from cujet.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

1) Have children. I did not, boss recognized that I could work anytime, anywhere (to his advantage) . If you are childless, your boss will take advantage of your time too. Note: you will be insufficiently compensated, as it will be expected.
2) Limit your hours. If you are competent and implement good practices, and regularly can't finish a task in time, it's up to management to provide support. The same applies to self employment. MANAGE YOUR TIME and get help when you need it.
3) Time is the whole of your capital. Recognize the extreme value (cost) of your free time.
4) Take your vacation time and sick time, as soon as you can. It has a magical way of evaporating.
5) Don't be afraid to change jobs (appropriately of course) . Always keep feelers out.
6) Go home on time and come in a touch early. You need no excuse to do so. Don't stay an extra minute unless absolutely necessary.

Just to add to the list:

7) Be honest, ethical, and don't burn bridges. Now more than ever with the prevalence of social media, your reputation precedes you.

Last edited:
I agree with everything above.

Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. Too many people stay at a crap job because they are afraid of change and totally new environment / job retraining.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. Too many people stay at a crap job because they are afraid of change and totally new environment / job retraining.

Yup, but in my case I should have left my great job and taken one with 1/3 the pay and 2 days off per week. Instead I worked no less than 70 per week. I missed out on 17 years of vacation time (promises were made and kept, so there is that) but now I can hardly walk. Mixed connective tissue disease is destroying my body. In 2017, I had a total of 20 days off the entire year, and I did that for what?

It's currently 8:15PM, I started at 7:30 this morning and I'm still at work (sitting down for a few) and I'm away from home. No life, no fun, not worth it.

Very good post Cujet.

It is interesting to see the variety of jobs, hours and thoughts about working.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Yup, but in my case I should have left my great job and taken one with 1/3 the pay and 2 days off per week. Instead I worked no less than 70 per week. I missed out on 17 years of vacation time (promises were made and kept, so there is that) but now I can hardly walk. Mixed connective tissue disease is destroying my body. In 2017, I had a total of 20 days off the entire year, and I did that for what?

It's currently 8:15PM, I started at 7:30 this morning and I'm still at work (sitting down for a few) and I'm away from home. No life, no fun, not worth it.

I went from making $90k a year to making less than $50k a year, 5 years ago, when I left the absolute dump of a town that I Iived in and hated (Shreveport, LA) in exchange for a stratospherically higher quality of life. While I have since found a better place of employ, even making barely over half what I used to, I didnt have a single regret about the move.

Live a life you are happy with...whatever that means to YOU.

TO THE YOUNGER FOLKS HERE: Don't work your life away! All things in moderation.

Please do not do what I did and don't make the mistakes I made (work way too much for too long, no free time) . I've been very successful, saved money, own an airplane, and I've had fun (at work) , taken risks and survived. But what I did not count on was rapidly deteriorating health. I can't do anything anymore. I'm tired beyond belief, and nothing works. All that work and savings, for what? So I can suffer with a full bank account? I can't do any of the things I like.

This is basically what one of my older cousins that I revere a lot told me once. We're going to look back and look at all the opportunities that we missed and can't do anymore because we were always in pursuit of money instead of taking the time to enjoy life. We're going to be working 30+ years anyways so why not enjoy life while we still can.

Worked a plethora of 60 hour weeks in my 30s to catch up with all the money I wasted in my 20s on toys, women & booze. I used to see & spend more time with the men & women at my work than with my GF, Family or Friends. Since I put the 20% down on my home when purchased in 2011 at age of 37 -- no more working crazy 60 hr weeks for me or all holidays any longer. Simple is good & contentment is even better if its feasible.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Cujet said:

If you retain nothing else, from Cujet's post, this is the one to remember, especially the second sentence.

One place I worked there were two single people in my group of 6; me and the woman who sat next to me. We were in a department meeting one day and she made an observation that it seemed like there was a disproportionate amount of work being pushed her and my way, and the supervisor flat out said that everyone else in the group had kids so he didn't want them to have to work OT since he knew neither of us had kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back