Checking Oil Level 2016 CRF250L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you've had your quota of dumb questions, but something is bugging me. I just changed the oil on my bike. When I look at the inspection window should I see an oil level if the bike is running? I know...probably a dumb question. It registers fine when not running, but shows nothing when it is running. Sorry...actual OCD here, and it's bugging me. Probably the oil is in and around the top end when running.

Wonderful! Thank you! When I saw the empty window when it was running, I kind of lost my mind. Shows full when engine off and bike is upright.

Originally Posted by yeehaw1960
Wonderful! Thank you! When I saw the empty window when it was running, I kind of lost my mind. Shows full when engine off and bike is upright.

What'd you use in the bike? I just did my 600mi change on my 250L and went with Rotella T6. Figuring on doing once a year/3k mile changes on mine.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Check oil level when bike is off and held upright (not on the kick stand).

which, if the OP had looked at the owners guide (not even a manual) it would say this

sight windows can be a pain in the a$%! sometimes a 2nd person is needed to get a proper view on heavier bikes (eg: yamaha v star 650...sight glass is at the bottom of the engine - transmission case on left side down near the footpeg -foot plate) where one person mounts bike & holds level and other person looks at sight glass

Last edited:
It is good that you don't see any oil in the window when the engine is running. This means (as you suspected) that much of the oil is now circulating through the engine as designed. Enjoy the bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back