2018 Civic SI, 18,285 on car 4006 on RL 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: FP Plus at usual dose.
Note:
BL is the virgin sample of the oil.
Note: It's hard to compare some of these samples due to the change in driving due to my work situation the past couple of months. The sample prior to this was on extremely short trips during the summer.

Sample 1 was with Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20

Running this now again to check for consistency.
[Linked Image]

Looks fine, other than what appears to be some contamination getting in the intake causing higher silicon? Looks like you've been playing musical oils as well over the life of this engine as well, but that hasn't affected anything other than calcium and magnesium.

Now she is broken in, easy 10k OCI on a good oil.

Curious, if you noticed any "seat of the pants" changes with the RL vs. the Mobil 1?

Last edited:
No musical oils. Last two changes have been Redline 5W-30.

The silicon has actually gone down with regards to the baseline (see BL line)

Notice the oxidation reading (abs/cm) of RL. Showing the presence of POE.

Also look at the viscosity of AFE 0w30 compared to the almost VII free RL.

I dont feel the high calcium oil is suitable for a T-GDI engine being a LSPI promoter.

I'd look for an oil with lower calcium, usually anything dexos 1 gen2.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Now she is broken in, easy 10k OCI on a good oil.

Couldn't disagree more.. a TGDI engine with high fuel dilution easy 10000miles on oil? uh no.

Compared to the VOA, both Si and B are very low _and_ trending down. I think the VOA is off, personally, based on my own samples of Red Line. Maybe not, but I'm skeptical of those VOA figures.

Looks good. I'd go 5500 miles next time. The oil appears to have had quite a bit of life left in it. Boron goes down with miles. I forget what the explanation I once read for that is. Silicon tends to increase from collection of dirt and dissolving some silicon from sealants into the oil, so I am skeptical of the VOA's silicon quite high level.

Originally Posted by buster
Notice the oxidation reading (abs/cm) of RL. Showing the presence of POE.

Also look at the viscosity of AFE 0w30 compared to the almost VII free RL.

Note: The AFE is 0W-20, not 0W-30

Does no one care about the fuel at 3.6 or even 5.0? To me that says a longer interval is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Copper and Tin look OK so any sulfur in the fuel is not finding enough H2O to form acids (oil is buffered) and TBN is excellent.

He is running a grade above preferred, so I don't see an issue with low viscosity.

What does a Honda Service manager say if presented with the data?

If no memo from Honda to do otherwise, Go the full OLM.

If she blows you get a new improved engine from Honda,

I would take a data point at ~ 7000 Miles.

This doos not show an oil ready to be dumped in any way shape or form.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Does no one care about the fuel at 3.6 or even 5.0? To me that says a longer interval is not a good idea.

Fuel was tested using GC so it will be much higher than what Blackstone's inaccurate (underestimating) method based on flash point would have given. We are so accustomed to seeing Blackstone reports that it's easy to falsely conclude than almost no engine gets more than 0.5% fuel, That's especially not true for GDI engines like this engine. I'm not saying that a true 3.6% fuel is just as good as a true 0.1% fuel. I'm saying that for a GDI engine, particularly a Honda, it's not out of the ordinary. Also the OP has increased the oil viscosity so it roughly counteracts the viscosity effect of that amount of fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back