Angry at Walmart service center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Eddie
Sometimes I wonder if BITOG name should be changed to the WHINING GROUP. Ed

I guess rant threads on BITOG is the equivalent of holding hands and singing "Kumbaya" or something.......

The best one recently was on the "tire forum section" about the guy who ranted about Discount Tires" mistake on his TPMS-4 pages of posts later he takes his can back to them and they make it right.

The point of his post was????????

My point is to share my experience. I'm not ranting about anything in particular, and while the experience took longer than it should have it also wasn't done properly. The oil is black less than one day after the change, and this isn't a sludged up engine. People make mistakes and that's okay. I get that it's okay to use the vacuum pump, but they left at least a quart of old oil in the system. That's my best guess. It should be fine to run it a short 2-3k oci. The moderators can lock this if they want because this thread is becoming something I certainly didn't want it to become.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Eddie
Sometimes I wonder if BITOG name should be changed to the WHINING GROUP. Ed

I guess rant threads on BITOG is the equivalent of holding hands and singing "Kumbaya" or something.......

The best one recently was on the "tire forum section" about the guy who ranted about Discount Tires" mistake on his TPMS-4 pages of posts later he takes his can back to them and they make it right.

The point of his post was????????

My point is to share my experience. I'm not ranting about anything in particular, and while the experience took longer than it should have it also wasn't done properly. The oil is black less than one day after the change, and this isn't a sludged up engine. People make mistakes and that's okay. I get that it's okay to use the vacuum pump, but they left at least a quart of old oil in the system. That's my best guess. It should be fine to run it a short 2-3k oci. The moderators can lock this if they want because this thread is becoming something I certainly didn't want it to become.

Did you call the ACCM today?

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
With a top mount filter using a vacuum extractor is the greatest thing ever.

Great now you have me spending more money on a extractor. My Tacoma has a top mount filter.

Originally Posted by ARB1977

Great now you have me spending more money on a extractor. My Tacoma has a top mount filter.

Make sure you get the 7300 so you can use shop air instead of hand pumping.

lol... Sorry?

You'll thank me after the next oil change
wink.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Make sure you get the 7300 so you can use shop air instead of hand pumping.

They have pretty inexpensive 12v pumps you can run off the battery or spring for a fancier 120v one with better suction pressure. Just make sure you warm up the oil.. it'll go a lot faster.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I'm not saying an independent wouldn't do something like for you, but I'd venture to guess most wouldn't unless they knew you. I've heard customers call an independent and ask if they can bring in their own parts/fluids, and the answer is usually...do you bring your own food into a restaurant and stand back there and watch the chef cook it? And this is said in a friendly manner. However if it's a regular customer, I can see them accommodating you...but even then, allowing them in the shop, allowing them under the vehicle, having them ask questions, watching what you're doing?? It'd take a lot more than $30 bucks for me to allow that, insurance restrictions alone make that not worth it.

Must be lucky then, the local shop lets me bring my own oil and filter and charges me $20 for the oil change and tops up fluids with a tire rotation. The service writer doesn't seem to mind, every time I see him he says it's a nice Mercedes. My oil filter is about $7 and it uses about 7.5 quarts of synthetic oil at $2/quart so a tad over $40 for an oil change.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm not saying an independent wouldn't do something like for you, but I'd venture to guess most wouldn't unless they knew you. I've heard customers call an independent and ask if they can bring in their own parts/fluids, and the answer is usually...do you bring your own food into a restaurant and stand back there and watch the chef cook it? And this is said in a friendly manner. However if it's a regular customer, I can see them accommodating you...but even then, allowing them in the shop, allowing them under the vehicle, having them ask questions, watching what you're doing?? It'd take a lot more than $30 bucks for me to allow that, insurance restrictions alone make that not worth it.

Must be lucky then, the local shop lets me bring my own oil and filter and charges me $20 for the oil change and tops up fluids with a tire rotation. The service writer doesn't seem to mind, every time I see him he says it's a nice Mercedes. My oil filter is about $7 and it uses about 7.5 quarts of synthetic oil at $2/quart so a tad over $40 for an oil change.

You are lucky and it sounds like you're a regular customer. And $20 to do the oil change, top off fluids and rotate tires? That's a steal.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

That is quite a deal. .

It probably helps that you are nice about it.

Your shop your rules of course and I understand why but I travel so I'm not a regular customer at any and never had trouble finding a place. I bring the supplies, ask if they would mind and pay what they ask plus a tip. The last place only asked for $20, I gave them $30 cause of the extra lift time and the fascinating conversation about Cali's new exhaust law and unequal length headers.

Originally Posted by tiger862
At the Goodyear in town you bring your own oil and filter then stand outside the chain and watch them. When I had surgery they were only one that agreed.

My regular (since 2002) independent has no problem with my bringing the oil and filter. I get to his shop fairly early, so the whole process takes on about 15 minutes -- he doesn't have to send out for the filter or the oil -- and I pay him for his labor (ca. $20) and drive on to work. Now I don't do that with other repairs or maintenance, so I am not cutting him out on those.

I still have the Castrol Edge 0W-40 and the two Mann filters I bought for the late BMW 3 Series, so he's agreed to take those in trade for the oil and GM filter when I bring the LaCrosse in for its first oil change.

I started using an extractor on the '86 MB 420SEL after the plastic drain pan with plug I'd been using sprung a bad leak during a change. The Topsider, a manual pump, worked fine: You got the vacuum built up, then unclipped the hose and the oil flowed easily into the tank. Then the old oil was right in the container, the tank itself, to take to recycling. As for getting all the old oil out, well, the W126 took 8 quarts, and I almost filled the ~8-quart Topsider each time.

I used it also on the next MB. But the two Buicks weren't designed for the extraction method; I tried. And the BMW didn't have a dipstick.

If you buy a metal unit like the Topsider, be sure to put some anti-seize or lube on the screw-on caps. Mine froze up after not being used for a long while, and I had no tool to wrench them off.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
There are probably around 10 times in thousands of oil changes the shop has screwed up a drain plug over thousands of cars. I find the most times people attempt to DIY and when they can't get it they bring it in to have us change it. Especially if they overtightened it last or it has a element filter they hired an ape to put on. They usually end up striping the drain plug or rounding it off, so then we use the vacuum. I know I have confirmed it with customers after I told them to take it to the last shop that did it because they jacked up your plug. Then they respond "My fathers cousins dad's sister's brother did it last." Yet we all knew you did it last as you have grease on your forehead. Some will come out and tell you. But most won't because you can tell they are embarrassed and they are trying to take the cheap way out.

And I'll bet that there's been cases where you guys suck the oil out and never touch the drain plug but the customer accuses you of stripping the plug.

When I owned my POS audi POS, they had 1 free year of oil changes.

Engine was spotless after the 'change'. When I confronted them, they claimed to use a vacuum tube.

I went home, and changed the oil.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by AZjeff
I work for Walmart....... Nothing worse than a guy acting like he knows better yet he brings his car to Walmart.

Huh?
33.gif

I'm just associating past interactions with customers, that end up getting very hostile in tone, tell me they could do the oil change in 10 minutes, yet they bring their cars to Walmart. Some people live to complain. Although OP seems to have a valid reason with the dirty oil. Just because OP thinks its wrong to suck oil out, doesnt make it wrong. They can certainly do it wrong, and they probably did. I know I have, but I also have more than 3 brain cells so I can correct my mistake.
Did you know even Mercedes has factory guides on how to do it?

Good post man...

Yeah some people live to complain... Spot on with that.

I would agree. All the OP's topic does is get the choir all wound up and singing the same VERY OLD song. We all know what the replies will be to a topic like this-or a dealer bash topic. It gets very old.......

Originally Posted by bobdoo
When I owned my POS audi POS, they had 1 free year of oil changes.

Engine was spotless after the 'change'. When I confronted them, they claimed to use a vacuum tube.

I went home, and changed the oil.

And you did it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back