04 5.4 triton oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has recently fallen upon hard times and checked into rehab, while gone I have been tasked with taking care of his 04 ford f150 5.4 triton. When I got it there was a jiffy lube sticker that was 1k past the recommended service interval and I felt as thought the engine was louder/rougher sounding than most of the other 5.4s I have been around. After changing the p/s fluid and flushing the brake system, I changed the oil with some 5w30 Castrol Magnatec and the sound/smoothness of the engine has drastically improved. The truck technically specs 5w20 but it also has 200k miles on it and I know he hasnt been particular with the maintenance with it. I have seen some debate on using a thicker oil but in this case it has seemed to help. What do you guys think? The last thing I would want to happen is for his truck to start having trouble once he gets back.

A lot of people use 5w-30 in these motors.
My brother in laws '04 5.4 is actually louder with 5w-30, his is quieter with 5w-20, so I use that.
But his motor is also dying, every filter I have cut open on his has a lot of metal in it.

Have the plugs ever been changed on this truck? I would think with 200,000 they should have, but if not, the original plugs are 2 piece and have a history of breaking.
Luckily when I did the one's in my BiL, all 8 came out intact @ 150,000 miles.

My fathers 2008 has been on a diet of ST 10w30 full synthetic since new, at 280k its still running with the original phasers. It does have some timing chain rattel upon start up but that is all noise it makes.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
That is great to hear. Any other 5.4 Ford owners running a xxW30?

My son owns an 04 Lariat, 5.4 3 valve, 60K miles. He runs ST 5W30 synthetic with a MC FL-820S oil filter.

I run Syn 5-30 HM in my 01 4.6 with 160k. Engine is smooth and quiet. I wouldn't worry. Best of lucj to your Dad.

Just had a new longblock put in my 2010. After the initial 1K break in, I will be running 5w30 in it. Totally ok for this motor, some even use 0w40 w/out issue.

I'm running 5w-30 in my 2001 F350 5.4 . But it's from a 1997 F150 that originally spec'd for 5w-30.

With that said, this engine definitely has noise that gets quieter on thinner oil or if it's run really hard.

Not what you asked, but I have a 2008 with the 5.4 and still use 5W-20 per the manual. IF it started using oil, I'd try 5W-30.

When I had my 2005 with the 5.4 I used the 5w20 but went to 5w30 later on. Could tell no difference.

Originally Posted by Miller88

I'm running 5w-30 in my 2001 F350 5.4 . But it's from a 1997 F150 that originally spec'd for 5w-30.

With that said, this engine definitely has noise that gets quieter on thinner oil or if it's run really hard.

That is interesting since the 97 & 98 5.4s were NPI head motors. Are you running that motor with your original ECU?

Originally Posted by thastinger
Originally Posted by Miller88

That is interesting since the 97 & 98 5.4s were NPI head motors. Are you running that motor with your original ECU?

There's some really weird stuff going on with it. Date code on the driver's side valve cover is 8 of 1997 but it has the rectangular intake ports, so it definitely has PI heads.

Or someone took a PI engine and put it in an older truck and it ended up in the junkyard that way.

5W30 in my brother's '08 Navigator with 215k miles. Last oil change though he had a free oil change at the Ford dealer and they put in 5W20...couldn't really tell a difference to be completely honest. Next oil change, 5W30 will be used.

Last edited:
2007 5.4 3V motor...I've only had it for about 4500 miles so far and am at 123K miles but at the last oil change I put in 5w30 full synthetic and it has quieted down a bit...

when I got it the crank case had 5w20 synthetic blend (OEM spec) with a cheap filter believed to have been done at Firestone...original owner used higher than I am comfortable with oil change intervals... and it was noisy and has the usual 5.4 3V issues...I had it changed to 5w20 full synthetic with a proper Motorcraft filter and it seemed the same...after 3K miles in my care (which much like you required a lot of filter and fluid changes, etc.) I had 5w30 full synthetic and it seems to be much happier and a bit quieter...especially upon start up...

I plane to continue using full synthetic 5w30 and the next change will be at an additional 3K miles with Shell Rotella Gas Truck full synthetic and the Motorcraft FL820 filter...

YMMV

Bill

Last edited:
It seems like the general census is that a _W30 is working fairly well. After a week I can definitively say that the engine runs a great deal quieter, power is delivered smoother and there hasn't been an effect on the gas mileage of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back