Changing fluid VW 09G, Do I need a new pan gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Passat 2.5 with the 09G transmission. This transmission only has 40,000 miles and I would like to clean out the initial wear debris from the bottom of the pan. It has a rubber gasket with metal spacers that some call torque limiters. Can that gasket and the bolts be reused? Also what is the torque spec for the bolts? I am doing this as preventative maintenance since the 09G is known for having some problems. I know the early ones were sometimes troublesome anyhow. I had one of the early ones and in those days the dealer was saying you never have to change it. Now for my car the interval the dealer recommends is 60,000 miles. That sounds like a big stretch for most transmission fluids really. I would be more comfortable with 30,000 mile intervals and changing it at the first sign of trouble if any. Sometimes all these need is the pan removed and cleaned. I can only imagine that the magnets would have some metal on them since the pan has never been off it before. I got it with 30,000 miles and would like to keep it feeling like it has 30,000 miles.

Do you know how to drain and refill this trans? In order to change the fluid there are several specialty tools that you need besides the fluid, filter and gasket. I very highly recommend that you get the kit. You also need a [VAG specific scan tool. In order to properly fill the trans you must have a scan tool that read the trans temp and you must have a perfectly level surface. The 09G trans has no fill port, you must fill it via the drain plug using a special adapter. These transmissions are VERY finicky to fluid, you cannot use Maxlife irregardless of what people say on this forum, get the spec'd and approved fluid only. If you want I can send you a list of the stuff I used to change the fluid. I made my own "VAS6262-2" tool and bought a specific scanner in order to do this. DO NOT buy just any scanner VW has very specific codes and a generic OBDII scanner will NOT work. Unfortunately the 09G is not an easy drop the pan and refill.

Last edited:
Filter will be fine at the OP's mileage.
Also - - I used Maxlife in a 2009 Audi A4 for 100,000 kms with zero issues, expect better shifting compared to OEM.

Here we go again folks saying Maxlife is fine for all types of transmissions and that Aisin or ZF don't know what they are doing so using a fluid that is specifically designed and spec'd for those specific fluids is not needed is foolish. Suitable is not the same thing as spec'd.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
Here we go again folks saying Maxlife is fine for all types of transmissions and that Aisin or ZF don't know what they are doing so using a fluid that is specifically designed and spec'd for those specific fluids is not needed is foolish. Suitable is not the same thing as spec'd.

It's a [censored] Aisin. What is special about T-WS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back