Winter tires for BMW X5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

My recently acquired 2018 BMW X5 seem to have summer tires on it as I don't see M+S label.

The tires right now are 20" and I am wondering if I could buy a new set of 19" rims and put on 19" winter tires. The 19" appears to be the standard tire size.

Will this be OK ? Thx.

Originally Posted by iExcel
Hi folks,
My recently acquired 2018 BMW X5 seem to have summer tires on it as I don't see M+S label.
The tires right now are 20" and I am wondering if I could buy a new set of 19" rims and put on 19" winter tires. The 19" appears to be the standard tire size.
Will this be OK ? Thx.

As long as the overall diameter (wheel+tire) is the same, no problem.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Yes, 19" will fit. Check tirerack.com for fitment details.

If it's the 35i, even 18" should fit.

Yes. it's a 35i.

For winter driving, I care more about safety than appearance/performance. Would a 18" be safer than a 19" ?

Would a 18" be safer than a 19" ?

I can't think of why one would be safer over the other.

I think the primary difference is that 18" winter tires will typically be less expensive with more options available. Going to 18" will give you slightly more tire sidewall as well - may or may not be important depending on how bad your local roads are.

Type of tire matching your road conditions is more important than size but smaller rims (and larger sidewall) provide cheaper solution to winter driving.

If you can go 20" => 18" than you may find that savings in tires pay for extra rims (which can be reused).

tirerack.com is good starting place.

Krzys

The other big advantage of going with a smaller rim diameter is that you can get a narrower tire (which is generally preferred for winter) and still maintain the same load rating on your tires.

Hi folks,

Will this be OK ? Thx.

Is it square set up?
F15 X5 35i ca fit fallowing tires:
255/50 R19
255/55 R18
235/60 R18

235/60 R18 will be best option in deep snow. But car will be seriously "undertire." I had 255/55 R18 option on my X5 and proved for snowto be optimal option. In summer I used 255/50 R19. It is cheaper, a lot, and gives you more sidewall in case of slide, touching sidewalk etc.
Make sure you choose right tire. Suspension on X5 easily overwhelms tire so not all will do good. I had Bridgestone DM V-2 and proved mediocre in most situation (and pretty bad in lateral handling in ice). But, in dry and wet suspension proved to be more capable than tire. Michelin Xi2 I put later was far better option.

Use 18" and tickest tire you can(xx/60+/R18)on the car and avoid m+s tyres if you have serious winters. Use real winter tires insted. Studded winter tires are the safest tires to use in winter time.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Use 18" and tickest tire you can(xx/60+/R18)on the car and avoid m+s tyres if you have serious winters. Use real winter tires insted. Studded winter tires are the safest tires to use in winter time.

Again, 235/60 R18 has some serious dynamic limitations on that vehicle. Yes, narrowest tires are best in winter, but, there is a limit to that before other aspects are compromised.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Again, 235/60 R18 has some serious dynamic limitations on that vehicle. Yes, narrowest tires are best in winter, but, there is a limit to that before other aspects are compromised.

ok, didn't know that

Originally Posted by edyvw

ok, didn't know that

I was contemplating that size on my X5 until I tried it on friends X5. It seriously limits capabilities in any environment except deep snow.

We used Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow runflats in the stock sizes on our X6 M last winter, even in the wide stock sizes (285/35R21 front and 325/30R21 rear) they did very well.

Originally Posted by 02SE
We used Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow runflats in the stock sizes on our X6 M last winter, even in the wide stock sizes (285/35R21 front and 325/30R21 rear) they did very well.

Pirelli always knew how to make winter tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back