Supertech syn 15k mi; 2009 Focus 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since easily posting a Blackstone report is not simple, I just transcribed the report I got for my 2009 Ford Focus 2.0 5-Speed. I used Supertech 5W-30. This is the "new" bottle formula made by whoever. I did changed Supertech 3600 filters at 7,500 miles and topped off.
I drive about 70% interstate/30% city and county roads. My 5 day a week commute on the interstate is 75 miles round trip.

SAMPLE UNIVERSAL AVERAGES

ALUMINUM 3 3
CHROMIUM 0 1
IRON 9 10
ZINC 982 836
BARIUM 0 2

Sample Range
SUS vis 59.7 55-63
cSt vis
Flashpoint 405 >375
TBN 2.9 >1.0

The high silicon comes from me replacing the valve cover gasket and using red RTV sealant in trying to stop the oil from filling the spark
plug sockets. The Mazda 4 cylinders are kinda infamous for this.

Anyway, there it is. Blackstone recommended I go 17K miles next time! Instead I decided to try Rotella 15W-40 T5 SynBlend and a Wix filter.
This is my commuter/beater car and I'm gonna use it as my experimental sled. Nothing but 15K oil changes with a variety of synblend and synthetic oils and we will see what happens!

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome2.gif

How much oil was leaking during the OCI? How much oil did you have to top off
smile.gif

You should consider Wix XP/Napa Platinum or Fram Ultra for a long OCI, so you won't have to replace the filter midway

[censored], I'd keep running the Supertech and throw a Fram XG on there. You can then spare the filter change. You might find you can go 20K with that combo!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Stumpy
Since easily posting a Blackstone report is not simple....

confused2.gif
confused2.gif
People post the PDF that they receive all the time with no issues.

Used ST5w30 syn for my last oil change, stretching things out to a distance divisible by 5000. Then it's using Valvoline 5w30-- I can't change my own (condo) and have a whole deck of $10 VWB oil changes. That's a pretty easy engine on oil but getting that many miles out of ST syn is impressive. When I changed my own, ST (I guess it was Tech 2000 back then) conventional was my go to oil. That and Sears Spectrum which was also Warren PP-- wonder if any of that is around at deep discount as they close stores.

Most of us have little reason to be surprised at this LOL. ST oil is good stuff.

But as long as we can get name brand oils with rebates for less than ST sells for every day, then we'll have some variety on the board.

I didnt think any oil can go 17K miles let alone non-extended oils like ST.
wouldn't you be running oxidized tar in your engine after that many miles
shocked2.gif

I was broke and could only afford 3 quarts of ST and a Dollar supreme filter on my 962. I had some leftover crankcase oil from my ditch witch and made up the deficit. I drove 65000 miles and it never used a drop. I sent a sample in @ 65000 and Blackstone said it was the best sample ever submitted and go another 65000 miles. I plan on buying a whole gallon of ST for my next change and continue using the same filter. I have a quart of STP that I inherited from my grandfathers estate. I'm planning on using it for the complete 5 quart change. My Porsche never sounded better or felt smoother. I will type in the UOA later.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
shocked2.gif

That's why I wanted to see the 100c kv. Oxidation will increase viscosity. TAN would be useful too as acid build up results from oxidation.

The OP mentions having to top off but not how much and with what??...how much of this 15k can be attributed to the original fill and/or to topping off? Topping off is going to add back depleted antioxidants and boost TBN, right? It's possible that by the 15k miles there was little left in the way of the original fill???🤔

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by OilUzer
shocked2.gif

That's why I wanted to see the 100c kv. Oxidation will increase viscosity. TAN would be useful too as acid build up results from oxidation.

The OP mentions having to top off but not how much and with what??...how much of this 15k can be attributed to the original fill and/or to topping off? Topping off is going to add back depleted antioxidants and boost TBN, right? It's possible that by the 15k miles there was little left in the way of the original fill???🤔

Sure, some of the original oil load it gone, but you're grossly overestimating the amount of volatility. He's not likely to have gone through 4.5 qrts in 15k miles; that's almost a quart every 3k miles. Highly unlikely. These little 2.0L engines are good and reliable. Perhaps a bit under powered, but generally good running and last a long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3

Sure, some of the original oil load it gone, but you're grossly overestimating the amount of volatility. He's not likely to have gone through 4.5 qrts in 15k miles; that's almost a quart every 3k miles. Highly unlikely. These little 2.0L engines are good and reliable. Perhaps a bit under powered, but generally good running and last a long time.

For starters i put forth a question, not a fact ..... however, we do know it burned oil because he, the OP, said so and until we hear from the OP as to how much and of what grade/brand, you and I are both speculating. Until then we don't know if there's any there there...

Like I mentioned, knowing what the TAN, insolubles and oxidation/nitration would have given us better visibility into this extraordinary interval on a lube not spec'd for extended drains. (I mean seriously, this is grp4/5 like performance on what..a Grp3 lube? I think it's a valid question)

Last edited:
Stumpy,

I think the 15W40 trial is a mistake.

These engines have light reciprocating components and don't like being severely viscous damped.

But you'll see soon enough. Maybe. Being a stickshift, you'll feel the "stick in the mud" at RPM under 3000.

Curious as to your honest driving impressions after this HD Diesel oil install.
I would love to see if they match up with mine during my "experimental period"
smile.gif

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any difference in driveability or lack of acceleration. I like to drive which is why I bought a hard to find stick.

Nope. Topped of with 3/4 qt. Some from 3 spark plug wells full of oil. But most from the PH3600 sized oil filter replaced at 7500. The thought of me doing a UOA on an engine that leaks so much that none of the original oil is left in the pan is laughable.

Originally Posted by Stumpy
Nope. Topped of with 3/4 qt. Some from 3 spark plug wells full of oil. But most from the PH3600 sized oil filter replaced at 7500. The thought of me doing a UOA on an engine that leaks so much that none of the original oil is left in the pan is laughable.

Leaks aren't the only way oil disappears. But to your last point, never underestimate the power of stupid....

None the less, impressive UOA. Knew ST was a capable lube.. just not 15k capable.ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back