Atlanta Airport - Excellent History

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.sunshineskies.com/atl-history.html

No affiliation, but came across this site the other day and ended up reading his Atlanta write-up start to finish. Some really interesting information about the development of Atlanta going back all the way to when it was a racetrack in the middle of nothing and through the 4 major reconstructions of it into what it is today.

There are a handful of other airports on that site, but the Atl write-up is by far the most detailed and long-reaching.

Last edited:
At one point Delta wanted to move Hub to Birmingham due to various factors.
I think it was 50's. They had talks with Mayor of BHM, and everything seemed to work until Delta requested for a city to pick up tab on building pass under rail. Mayor told them that no one tells him what he will do in BHM.
Road to the airport is still cut by rail and ATL is busiest airport in the world.

Last edited:
I have flown in and out of ATL many, many times. Love the way it is set up. Very easy to get around in.

Originally Posted by Bud
I have flown in and out of ATL many, many times. Love the way it is set up. Very easy to get around in.

Same here.
If there's a better airport to connect through anywhere I've yet to see it.
Easy movement between terminals and a terminal change is not a deal-breaker on a tight connection as it would be at many other airports.
Plenty of drinking/dining options in every terminal if you have a longish layover as well.
Love flying through ATL, hate many of the alternatives.

I flew into Atlanta the morning the *new* airport (midfield) opened in 1980. And literally hundreds of time since. For it's size it was always fairly easy to use. Tampa and Orlando were the easiest until they got big enough to need lots of remote parking and that brought the trams and buses. It used to take me about 5-6 minutes from getting out of the car in the garage on top of the terminal, get down to the lobby, get on the tram to the airside and reach the gate, 20-30 minutes total from my office door to boarding the plane. It was amazing! Singapore was similar in physical layout that way. As an old [censored] I am so very glad not to do that anymore.

As an Atlanta resident a humble "You're Welcome" to you all.
wink.gif

I had a co-worker who's grandmother had property right next to the airport and he said that sometimes the drag "drogue" chute would blow into his grandmothers yard. IIRC that was in the late 1950's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back