E15 usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here regularly use E15? I went ahead and tried it in the hybrid since it was 5 cents cheaper per gallon. The car is not running as well and sounds like it is strained in comparison. Gas mileage has dropped significantly as well (~5%). Not bad enough to worry me or set off a CEL, but still noticeable. Wondering if any of you guys have used it with similar or different results since it is fairly new in our area.

I have been using it for about a year. Fuel economy has not changed significantly. Performance in hot weather seems improved, but real measurements would have to be taken to confirm anything.

What car are you running it in?
Something 1960's?

If your gas tank is crudded up extra ethanol will suck the crud and water out of your tank.

I've run e15 on and off since 2001 when it first came out. Lately it's around $2.30 a gallon as compared to e10 at $2.50+

My cars all love octane and I seem to get smoother running but otherwise no difference in economy.

I will agree it works best in warm to hot weather though.

Last edited:
there are only a couple stations in the are that carry it (Casey's), and I've not had the opportunity to put in more than a couple gallons at a time...
and putting 2 gal in at a time doesn't do much to the total 15...
Casey's is building a new station right along my daily commute... once it's open I'll probably try a Full tank or 2 and see what happens..

when I added a 1/4 tank(3.75gal) of e85 to the 3/4 tank (11.25gal) regular(87) E10, it seemed pretty happy...( if I did the math properly, that thank should have had an effective octane of 91... or the internet lied...also assuming of course that the "e85" was actually 85% and not something like e70.. )

I found in my last car, that anything more than a 1/4 tank of E85 and it threw lean codes...( to be fair it did have the big NO E85 warning on the filler cap...)

Last edited:
2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost
2018 Wrangler 2.0T
2014 Durango 3.6

All get e-15 only. Only exception is when we are out of town and the stations dont have e-15.
All 3 run perfect, no noticeable mpg change.

I use it because its cheaper and nothing changes with vehicles. No other reasons.

2016 F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost.

I'e tried E15 a few times. I regularly draw my 36 gallon tank down to around 5 gallons, and then fill. Majority of the tank is whatever I just filled with.

-I've noted no noticeable increase in power, changes in how the vehicle runs, etc... Since I am not scientifically logging anything in this arena, its all feelings.

-E15 is typically 5 cents per gallon cheaper than 87 E10 here. However, I have noted a 2% Fuel Mileage loss in my records across all fillups using E15 versus E10. That means the E15 must be at least 2% cheaper than 87 E10 to beak even. Current Pricing is $2.60 for E10, and 2.55 for E15 or essentially break even - or in other words not cheaper or more expensive at current pricing. This can change.

-My truck does adjust for higher octane fuels and reports how it adjusts using the Octane Adjustment Ration (OAR). The E15 fuels in our area are sold as Super 88 or 88 octane, etc... The truck does report a higher OAR using it, meaning it is sensing the extra ethanol and advancing the timing more. SInce the Ecoboosts are not flexfuel, I cannot report the ethanol content directly as it is not sensing that - only the engine percieved numbers.

Long story short, I don't use E15 in my truck even though it is allowed and the engine does perceive the higher octane. It doesn't help (or hurt) my pocketbook on its current pricing, but I prefer to get the slightly higher fuel mileage of E10. I don't use E0 Premium in my truck because I don't come out ahead on cost, even though I get better fuel mileage.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Something 1960's?

If your gas tank is crudded up extra ethanol will suck the crud and water out of your tank.

I've run e15 on and off since 2001 when it first came out. Lately it's around $2.30 a gallon as compared to e10 at $2.50+

My cars all love octane and I seem to get smoother running but otherwise no difference in economy.

My car is nothing special or exotic. It's a 2012 Mazda3 w/Skyactiv. With E15 it is just a little less dead off the line when it's really hot and the AC is on. The car has plenty of power, but the launch is not great in the summer. E15 is five cents a gallon less than regular E10 at the Q10 station where I buy it. Not all QTs have it and I haven't noticed it anywhere else.

I've been running E15 since May 2018 in a VW GTI and my current TourX, with the ok from the OEM. A small drop(0.1g/100mi.) in consumption vs. premium but much cheaper by $0.40+/gal. No measurable difference from E10 87.

Knock retard in my current car can reach 4 degrees, which is just fine with no audible knock.

Something 1960's?

Wow. Not only can you not read the OP's post (What car are you running it in? Something 1960's?), you've also been running E15 for a full decade before it even was approved by the EPA to be sold! You'll always be my first source of information from never on. It's amazing that your cars all love octane and they run smoother, even though the pump octane is identical.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Something 1960's?

Wow. Not only can you not read the OP's post (What car are you running it in? Something 1960's?), you've also been running E15 for a full decade before it even was approved by the EPA to be sold! You'll always be my first source of information from never on. It's amazing that your cars all love octane and they run smoother, even though the pump octane is identical.
confused2.gif

Lol, I see your point but with the right hat you could cover it.

I only have to guess you have never seen an ethanol blender pump or e85 is not sold in your area so you figure it didn't exist?

Anyway I live in Wisconsin, I have been able to get higher gasohol blends since 2001, (like e20 & e30)
e85 blender stations in 2004. I am told the first e85 station opened in 1996 but not near me.

Believe it or not there are fewer ethanol options today than there were up through 2009, when blender pumps were common out in the country.

If it "wasn't approved " it certainly didn't stop Utica fuels and others from selling it as an option.

E15 has always been 88 or 90 octane
e20 89 or 91 octane,
E30 90 or 93 octane
RUG around here is always 87 octane, go west further and it's 86 octane, 88 is higher than 87. Vapor point and cooling is much higher on e15 than RUG as well.

Next, The ops car could be one of over 60 different models, my "hybrid" was made in 1999, maybe his is too?
might as well say it's a diesel that narrows it down.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm running it in the hybrid. From here on out I will be sticking to E10 or E0 for sure.

Originally Posted by Dorian
Yes, I'm running it in the hybrid. From here on out I will be sticking to E10 or E0 for sure.

Something to think about is the source of your fuel, everyone has gotten bad gas at one point.

I filled up with e0 mid grade at a local mom and pop station and had rough running.

I later dumped in a bottle of heat gas dryer and the car ran fine.

When I checked the station was not top tier and apparently did not get much traffic.

It's possible that e15 at your station is not a quick seller and you just got bad gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back