School me on Kohler Verticals 17 HP OHV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine Is a CV 491 spec 27501. Built in 2000. Been outside for 2yrs on a 2000 Craftsman LT 1750. Model :917.272220 Price is right. Zero. Ive got it firing on carb cleaner. enough to invest some time into. This will be my first Kohler and my largest vertical to date..917. means it is a Husqavarna . Thats better than MTD but thats all I know. all input welcomed. TIA
grin2.gif

These engines are built solid, like mini "small block chevys"

don't let the barb get gummed or gunked up and it should last 1000+ hours easily.

Command series = excellent
Courage = garbage

Originally Posted by Linctex

don't let the barb get gummed or gunked up and it should last 1000+ hours easily.

Courage = garbage

This.

Glad to hear that you guys have had good luck with your Kohlers. I have a Command Pro 27 (CV 740) on my zero-turn, and it has been nothing but trouble, even with routine maintenance. Only 450 hrs on it and have replaced fuel shut off solenoid, both coils, and the stator. For being a 27hp as well, I expected it to have more grunt. The Kawasaki powered machines I have run cut circles around mine. I really wanted to like this one, after the service a K-series Kohler delivered for my family, but this one falls short.

Can confirm, the Courage series is to be avoided.

Hope you guys have better luck with your machines!

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by Linctex

Courage = garbage

This.

That.

That's a cool find being an actual Kohler CV command series single cyl 17hp!

That's an expensive engine, but so they all are.

What transaxle and cutting deck with the rider?

I had good luck with a Kohler Magnum, but my neighbor has had three Courage engines that were nothing but trouble. I couldn't imagine why he bought the last two after so much trouble with the first one. Sad to see such a good company go the route of making troublesome engines. I won't buy a new one now, no matter which series. My other neighbor just bought a new Cub zero turn and had a choice of Kawa or Kohler, and he told me he thought the Kohler would be a much better engine, so he bought it. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he had probably picked the wrong one. I don't know which one, Command or Courage, but I still wouldn't pick any Kohler over a Kawasaki. From everything I've seen and what I have owned, the Kawa is a great engine, as long as it doesn't have a plastic cam. I used to have an old WH tractor that had a bullet proof K series Kohler, wow! now those were engines to die for!

Kohler Courage V-twins aren't bad engines. They're very much like a standard Chonda, with manual valve lash adjustment, etc. I owned a 20hp Courage V-twin on a ZTR I had. The engine was fine. It's the large single cyl Kohler Courage engines that tend to be the problem child.

andyd, sounds like you got yourself a deal on that whole machine. You can't beat the cut quality and reliability of the husqvarna group 42" deck. Decent hydrogear drive on it too.

SIL found the key. Greatly eased the process of starting. Removed dead sulfur stinking battery and jumped from car. Sat in the seat and turned the key. Started easily and idles pretty good.
All the tinware is off so I didn't run it very long. I'm glad I didn't order a carb. SIL said it was his grandfathers, was little used and stored inside. 2 tires dont hold air and it needs a new battery. And just for grins a 100hr service using the better than average service manual as a guide. It is a fixer-upper worth fixing
grin2.gif

To echo what others have said, the command is an excellent engine. My 17.5 in my Deere L110 has 620 hours and has never missed a single beat, except for the 2 times the needle stuck on the carb. Never uses a single drop of oil in 40ish hour service intervals - in fact, the okl never seems to darken on the stick. Also pretty easy on fuel.

If it's the pressure lubed one with hyd lifters, stick with 5 or 10w 30 oil and enjoy.

Changed oil R+R'ed valve stem on LF. greased the front end and rack+ pinion. Bought a new battery. Slow but steady progress.

I've got the 16HP Command - 19 years old probably approaching 1,000 hours - runs great.
Always changed oil/filter every season -- Rotella T4 15W-40.

Change all the fuel line. Install a new fuel filter. Replace the grommet on the bottom of the fuel tank of it has one. Start engine. If it won't stay running then clean out the carb. Inspect air filter too. Next oil change use 30wt or 15w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back