Curious question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your engine calls for 0w-20 oil but you use 5w-30, do you have a oil analysis that you can post?

Good TBN number, thanks...

Looked up virgin TBN at 8.1

Last edited:
my last car called for 5w20, and i regularly ran 0w20...but didn't grab a UOA...but the ol' "Butt Dyno" said it really liked the 0w20...

this car calls for 5w20, but judging by the writing in the owner's manual, it looks like the old couple who owned it previously ran 5w30. (in shaky handwriting it says "Best Oil, Castrol 5-30")
oops. the ford dealer changed it when i bought it, so, in theory MC 5w20, and this last(current) change is Havoline syn 5w20...

the model year after mine this same car & engine called for 0w20... take from that what you will...

I've collected a handful of UOAs from various cars here running thicker than the specced 0w20 or 5w20, all of which have stellar (as in low) wear metal results.

The engine in both of my cars has been back specced to 5w20 & 0w20 (originally specified 5w30), which is not the same thing as what you asked, but some thick oils did very well in a UOA that had my engine--including a straight 30 weight.

Originally Posted by paulri
I've collected a handful of UOAs from various cars here running thicker than the specced 0w20 or 5w20, all of which have stellar (as in low) wear metal results.

Cuzz oil film thickness.....

Originally Posted by JLTD
Here is a UOA from my 2013 F150, specified 5w-20, with Schaeffer 9000 5w-30. As you can see, a great report.

https://imgur.com/Br5oUON

And I bet the vehicles owner never noticed a drop in fuel economy. I'd take the thicker oil film over the miniscule hit to F/E (if any) any day.

Nope, no noticeable change in economy or performance. I even ran 0w-40 after that and again no differences noted.

Right.. and correct me if I'm wrong but the mfgs F/E numbers are run on a new engine, on a dyno and in a lab - no? So the reproducibility of those numbers in real world applications are dubious at best.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Nope, no noticeable change in economy or performance. I even ran 0w-40 after that and again no differences noted.

Right.. and correct me if I'm wrong but the mfgs F/E numbers are run on a new engine, on a dyno and in a lab - no? So the reproducibility of those numbers in real world applications are dubious at best.

Bet for a selling point the consumer looks at HP with the oil run on a dyno. As my link above shows on a 120 hp engine, 8 hp and 11 fp increase.

Are you sure that link tests 0W20 vs 5W20? Or does it test Idemitsu Zepro Eco Medalist vs lowest-priced Valvoline? From what they wrote, it _might_ be a test of either, since it's a test of both.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Are you sure that link tests 0W20 vs 5W20? Or does it test Idemitsu Zepro Eco Medalist vs lowest-priced Valvoline? From what they wrote, it _might_ be a test of either, since it's a test of both.

Somewhat not apples to apples since they used Dino 5w-20 to the Idemitsu 0w-20 synthetic.

Here is another test from another angle 5w-20 Dino to 5w-20 Royal Purple synthetic and got a couple of hp out of the switch.

https://motoiq.com/project-ep3-civic-si-can-an-oil-change-affect-horsepower/

So subtracting the difference is 5 hp to the 0w-20 Idemitsu difference.

Last edited:
The difference is zero until it's 0w20 vs 5w20 from the same product line within Idemitsu's portfolio (or RP's, etc.).

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
The difference is zero until it's 0w20 vs 5w20 from the same product line within Idemitsu's portfolio (or RP's, etc.).

Long time ago (2005) this question came up in this post. Saw your name but contents was deleted. Still it seems the focus is to me from a 5w-30 vs a 0w-20 there is a hp increase. Granted not a lot from a 20 to a 30 oil.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/149410/2

Being a 2019 made engine is designed for 0w-20 oil the question in my post is why would someone go to a 5w-30 oil?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back