CONVENTIONAL FOR 2010 NISSAN MURANO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! My sister in law has a 2010 Nissan Murano with 130,000 miles. She's paying $50.00 for an oil change at the dealers in Casper, Wy. I think she can save money and still get a quality oil change. I don't know if the Murano needs synthetic oil and the owner's manual is no help. I doubt that this car needs synthetic oil. So, can we use conventional oil in a 2010 Nissan Murano?.

Thanks in advance for the help!

You could easily grab a jug of Supertech Synthetic and a Fram Extra Guard oil filter and have an oil change for under $20.

Walmart Pit Stop oil change using Quaker State syn-blend oil and a Fram oil filter for $20. Although I'd stand by the work area and watch them. They check the oil level before doing the oil change. I've had good luck with them doing oil changes in the past along with installing new batteries. The two times they've replaced tires I wasn't impressed and wouldn't go back for tire services. I'd also go first thing in the morning to avoid the wait. They open early.

Synthetic oil is not a requirement. OM states 5w30 API Service SM. We're now at API SN/SN+, and conventional will be fine. Actually though ~$50 for synthetic oil change from a dealer, not terrible, relatively speaking. Linked below is 2010 Owner Manual, see page 393 (Sect 9-5) for oil requirements.

2010 Murano Owners Manual.

Frankly I don't think it's bad. I don't see anyone worth his money put the car up on hoist and change oil & filter for less than 1/2 hr labour charge and if they do I'd watch them like a hawk.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Synthetic oil is not a requirement. OM states 5w30 API Service SM. We're now at API SN/SN+, and conventional will be fine. Actually though ~$50 for synthetic oil change from a dealer, not terrible, relatively speaking. Linked below is 2010 Owner Manual, see page 393 (Sect 9-5) for oil requirements.

Right here ^^^^^^^

Conventional oil is fine. Though most everything is now a mix of group 2 and a bit of group 3 now.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Sayjac

Right here ^^^^^^^

Conventional oil is fine. Though most everything is now a mix of group 2 and a bit of group 3 now.

Roughly half group 3 if it's 5w20 or 5w30.

How long are her oil change intervals? If she's not doing more than say 6k miles between changes, than most any conventional will do, even house brands. Is she/you/someone else planning on changing the oil? If not, $50 for a full syn service isn't cheap but it also isn't exactly outrageous. But if you/she plan ahead you can often find deals at a Valvoline oic change ctr (I regularly get a mailer offering a $29.99 conventional service)... or a Firestone. Right now Firestone is running a $24.99 special using QS Advanced Durability.

Sometimes dealership's offer oil change pkgs, maybe her dealership does??? Also I've seen oil change ctrs near to dealerships undercut the dealer price, so there's that too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back