Could you live on a Sailboat/Boat or tiny off grid home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I have been fixated on watching Youtube videos of people that sold everything and buy a sailboat and sail the world (mostly tropical). It looks amazing.

Also the simple off grid life of a tiny home looks interesting.

I think I could do either. The wife says not!

What do you guys think? Sound interesting? Think you could?

I know a family that live off the grid and the Mrs would like power lines for electricity.

I've seen plenty of videos about folks who live in off-grid communal "eco-villages" as well as folks who live in vehicles and tiny homes. It looks interesting!

If I didn't have a family I would be all over this kind of lifestyle.

Originally Posted by CT8
I know a family that live off the grid and the Mrs would like power lines for electricity.

Do they run a solar system? I would think a 10,000 kw with lots of battery storage would be a minimum.

Last edited:
I think the appeal of this stuff hits home for people deeply entrenched in the rat race. The grass is greener mentality. It is extremely difficult to live off the grid and I bet most people do it as an adventure, then return to regular life after a short time, aka Henry David Thoreau and Walden Pond experience.

Even the off-the-grid cabin building shows are a hoot. Using gasoline powered generators and battery powered tools is hardly living off the grid. Even living a country life style with fewer ties to the rat race is a huge amount of work. Growing, killing, processing and preserving your food is no easy task. There is a huge difference between a hobby garden and one that provides most of your food. Suddenly, the past-time becomes work, and the romanticism disappears real quick. Doing by choice and for fun is much different than doing it for subsistence and necessity.

My 2 cents, having dabbled in stoking the wood stove every night at 3am during bitter cold February winters. Country living in moderation is the happy medium.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I think the appeal of this stuff hits home for people deeply entrenched in the rat race. The grass is greener mentality. It is extremely difficult to live off the grid and I bet most people do it as an adventure, then return to regular life after a short time, aka Henry David Thoreau and Walden Pond experience.

Even the off-the-grid cabin building shows are a hoot. Using gasoline powered generators and battery powered tools is hardly living off the grid. Even living a country life style with fewer ties to the rat race is a huge amount of work. Growing, killing, processing and preserving your food is no easy task. There is a huge difference between a hobby garden and one that provides most of your food. Suddenly, the past-time becomes work, and the romanticism disappears real quick. Doing by choice and for fun is much different than doing it for subsistence and necessity.

My 2 cents, having dabbled in stoking the wood stove every night at 3am during bitter cold February winters. Country living in moderation is the happy medium.

Excellent post. Thank you for articulating it better than I could have.

Yes. Not now, but when I am older it would be easy.
I actually plan on retiring and building a house that is in the middle of nowhere, built with thick cement walls, and is slightly underground. It will have solar panels galore, geothermal HVAC, well, septic, and more goodies so that I don't have to require paying numerous bills when I am old. This won't be off the grid, but as close as possible.

It's more appealing to watch, than it is to live. A bit like that show, "Life Below Zero", or "Alaska Bush People". People who watch those programs and say, "Boy would I like to live like that!", wouldn't last a month at it. It's the same with island living. Look at the people who move to Hawaii.... Only to move out within 5 years or less. They begin to feel trapped on that rock.

Desert living is much the same. You either love it and never leave. Or else you can't get out of there fast enough. For most it's the latter. Which is good. It would royally suck if we all wanted the same thing out of life.

I've lived in various locales around the world. Everything and every place has their own pluses and minuses.

Living on a sailboat would get old for me after awhile. A tiny home wouldn't suit my wants, either.

After doing years of homework on this subject, we've determined we absolutely could live in a tiny home (definitely NOT a sailboat), and plan to do so in the future.

Off grid is NOT an option though. Solar is a complete waste here. 3"+ hailstones don't play nice with them. I'd like to try wind, but it just seems too unreliable and costly.

That said, based on some very interesting first-hand experiments, we can't live in a typical tiny home. 4" plywood on the roof, >R100 under the roof (or spray-in)... that kind of excessive. This allows you to save money elsewhere, such as HVAC. You won't need a 3.5 ton unit in that home, unlike my current house, which is actually undersized and struggles in the peak of summer. I'm seriously considering not even using a central system. One or two "window units" should be plenty... but I'd build themninto a wall. In the window is stupid... You'll also save on electrical costs. You won't need 25 different circuits and 5000 feet of 12-2. This also saves on windows (fewer of them), roof materials (won't need a whole pallet of shingles)...you get the idea. If everything goes according to plan, or even allowing a 15% margin of error, this should be
Considering I'm currently in a 1,775 square foot house that was entirely made by a carpenter (stellar framing, but a carpenter isn't an electrician, plumber, etc. and doesn't even remotely consider efficiency), yeah, all the other departments are horrible. My windows are original to the house. 1961. The best things about this house (aside from the framing) are things I've upgraded. I've converted 98% of lights to LED to de-stress this ancient, dangerous electrical system, added [a little] extra insulation, etc. So not much. That said, my electric bill last month in the peak of summer was $92. Yeah, less than $100. And I keep my thermostat at 73°. So if done correctly, I fully expect
I'd love to live out in the middle of nowhere, but I'm realistic. I'm not getting younger, and will probably need to be somewhat close to a hospital in my later years, so location is the last remaining question. I refuse to live somewhere where I can't pee off my porch, haha. Still haven't figured it out.

Moral of the story. It can be done. It should be done by the masses. But assessing your needs and living within them isn't a strong suit for 99.999999% of the world. Look at all of the 2,500+ square foot cookie-cutter junk "smart" houses with the super wasteful vaulted ceilings being built six inches apart from each other. It's maddeningly wasteful, and people wilingly dive head first into that side of the spectrum. Why not the small, efficient side? People love the image of living rich. Why not BE rich by NOT being house poor?
21.gif

Guy I work with (and wife) sold lots of things and the last was the house … rented a couple large storage spaces …
They bought a huge motor coach with pop outs … and a Rubicon. So whenever he's heading for work they park it in a regular park close to her family. When he gets home the next adventure (already planned) gets on the road …

I like the TV show "Last Alaskans". Heimo and Edna Korth have lived in the Alaskan bush for 40 years and raised a family there. I wouldn't last 24 hours in the Alaskan bush but these people thrive in it.

Originally Posted by tony1679
After doing years of homework on this subject, we've determined we absolutely could live in a tiny home (definitely NOT a sailboat), and plan to do so in the future.

Off grid is NOT an option though. Solar is a complete waste here. 3"+ hailstones don't play nice with them. I'd like to try wind, but it just seems too unreliable and costly.

That said, based on some very interesting first-hand experiments, we can't live in a typical tiny home. 4" plywood on the roof, >R100 under the roof (or spray-in)... that kind of excessive. This allows you to save money elsewhere, such as HVAC. You won't need a 3.5 ton unit in that home, unlike my current house, which is actually undersized and struggles in the peak of summer. I'm seriously considering not even using a central system. One or two "window units" should be plenty... but I'd build themninto a wall. In the window is stupid... You'll also save on electrical costs. You won't need 25 different circuits and 5000 feet of 12-2. This also saves on windows (fewer of them), roof materials (won't need a whole pallet of shingles)...you get the idea. If everything goes according to plan, or even allowing a 15% margin of error, this should be
Considering I'm currently in a 1,775 square foot house that was entirely made by a carpenter (stellar framing, but a carpenter isn't an electrician, plumber, etc. and doesn't even remotely consider efficiency), yeah, all the other departments are horrible. My windows are original to the house. 1961. The best things about this house (aside from the framing) are things I've upgraded. I've converted 98% of lights to LED to de-stress this ancient, dangerous electrical system, added [a little] extra insulation, etc. So not much. That said, my electric bill last month in the peak of summer was $92. Yeah, less than $100. And I keep my thermostat at 73°. So if done correctly, I fully expect
I'd love to live out in the middle of nowhere, but I'm realistic. I'm not getting younger, and will probably need to be somewhat close to a hospital in my later years, so location is the last remaining question. I refuse to live somewhere where I can't pee off my porch, haha. Still haven't figured it out.

Moral of the story. It can be done. It should be done by the masses. But assessing your needs and living within them isn't a strong suit for 99.999999% of the world. Look at all of the 2,500+ square foot cookie-cutter junk "smart" houses with the super wasteful vaulted ceilings being built six inches apart from each other. It's maddeningly wasteful, and people wilingly dive head first into that side of the spectrum. Why not the small, efficient side? People love the image of living rich. Why not BE rich by NOT being house poor?
21.gif

My wife and I had a custom 2940 square foot home built on 5 acres. We did 6" studs, Rockwool insulation, plywood, cedar, no OSB crap, impact resistant windows... . We keep our thermostat set at 75 in the summer and the highest electric bill we've had was $106. No solar, no wind turbine, just built super efficient.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wife and I had a custom 2940 square foot home built on 5 acres. We did 6" studs, Rockwool insulation, plywood, cedar, no OSB crap, impact resistant windows... . We keep our thermostat set at 75 in the summer and the highest electric bill we've had was $106. No solar, no wind turbine, just built super efficient.
While I do applaud this, completely, 2940 square feet? I'll never understand unless you have 7 kids...

Nope. I need my cultch.

I strive for efficiency, but on a different tack, in that I make manufactured goods last me as long as possible. So I hoard spare parts and manage them, and my expectations, so they don't get too out of hand. I have my own "lumber rack" in case I need stuff later, some wood sheds for my wood stove, a chicken coop for fresh eggs, two driveways and room for project cars. None of this'll fit on a sailboat. It's a nice ex-urban lifestyle. My neighbor owns 270 degrees around me, all but my road frontage, and I never see him. Win!

House is tolerably energy efficient. I inconvenience myself with a ride-share van pool which saves considerable liquid fuel. Burn wood too, but at a hobby level. Still burn a couple tanks of #2 heating oil every year.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back