Best wheel cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

I currently use Meguiars "Hot Rims" Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It's OK but it does NOT really dissolve brake dust on my clear coated mag wheels as advertised. I still find my self using a brush to get the brake film off and this is with weekly cleaning. Is there a better product out there that is safe for all clear coated wheels?

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

After using Megs Hot Rims I followed advice here and elsewhere, to apply car wax. Even when I see a decent amount of black grime on the wheels, it makes it very easy to clean off with a basic mesh net sponge, as long as I have that wax layer between the grime and the wheels.

Originally Posted by 007
I currently use Meguiars "Hot Rims" Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It's OK but it does NOT really dissolve brake dust on my clear coated mag wheels as advertised. I still find my self using a brush to get the brake film off and this is with weekly cleaning. Is there a better product out there that is safe for all clear coated wheels?

I have never let my rims get that dirty where the brake dust did not come off super easy with a sponge or brush. Was just wondering if there something out there than is better than what I am currently using for hands off cleaning. The Meguiars product does seem to work better than anything else you can spray on to clean wheels safely.

The more aggressive you go the more damaging the cleaner is. Might want to keep that in mind. Spray and rinse cleaners can be very harmful to clear coated wheels. So just stick to hand washing or use a pressure washer to blast the dirt off.

Meguiars Wheel brightener is a bit more aggressive and better if your trying to be lazy but is still won't remove everything without brushing. I have a commercial highly acid wheel cleaner that is spray and rinse, no brushing, but it will etch, stain and corrode wheels. I use it on wheels that are already damaged.

I've had good experiences with Sonax wheel cleaners. Even so, if the contamination is bad you will need a brush.

Yesterday I used P&S Brake Buster diluted 1:4-ish on my '17 Accord's wheels and it seemed to work pretty well. First time I used a dedicated wheel/tire cleaner on it, too. I do have some Meguiar's D140 acid-based wheel brightener but I bought it primarily for water spot removal on paint and so I haven't tried it on my wheels (probably never a need to, either). And I need to get some rubber gloves before I use it as I certainly don't need anything to rob my body of calcium!!

In sum, I found the P&S Brake Buster to be inexpensive and effective. Also, a +1 WRT using a brush where contamination is substantial.

Last edited:
Michelin makes/made a wheel and tire cleaner that was very good. Had to order it as I never saw product at retail store. Now I use the purple stuff from Walmart.

clear coats go away with time + miles on the road + weekly cleaning from new is best. that said high quality $$$$ uncoated aluminum will clean to a chromelike look like the Budnicks i bought long ago at a fair price i had on my 72 olds, i was asked if they were chrome, but today wheels like that cost 1 G each plus or minus!! NO cleaners today will fix an older coated rim + the alum under the coating is likely not good enough to strip + polish although stripping = polishing + recoating would work again $$$$ unless you have the right equipment + are willing to DIY it.

Originally Posted by 007

If you are using it weekly you are more than likely stripping any wax or any type of protectant right off the wheels?

Imo, it is a product to get old built up brake dust/dirt off and once removed with some agitation/scrubbing and getting them clean it really shouldn't be needed/used again after a decent wax/sealant has been applied.

I've used the product with great results on some used rims my son got and once waxed with some Collinite 845, any brake dust/dirt washed off easily with just a wash mitt and car soap.

Imo, you are doing more harm than good by using this product weekly as it simply shouldn't be required if you are maintaining your wheels peoperly.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by 007

If you are using it weekly you are more than likely stripping any wax or any type of protectant right off the wheels?

Imo, it is a product to get old built up brake dust/dirt off and once removed with some agitation/scrubbing and getting them clean it really shouldn't be needed/used again after a decent wax/sealant has been applied.

I've used the product with great results on some used rims my son got and once waxed with some Collinite 845, any brake dust/dirt washed off easily with just a wash mitt and car soap.

Imo, you are doing more harm than good by using this product weekly as it simply shouldn't be required if you are maintaining your wheels peoperly.

Spot on irv. Weekly use is overdoing it. You may not notice the damage now or next month but give it a couple of years and it will be visible.

Consider using a good sealant or coating on those wheels. That will go a long ways to keep contamination from building up on them in the first place.

Originally Posted by Dadillac
https://flashautodetailproducts.com/products/brown-royal-non-acid-wheel-tire-cleaner

Enough said.

Don

I have been using Brown Royal for a few years and very happy with the results.
The Winters in Upstate New York are a little long and can be Nasty......
I have Hot Water outside and when it gets a little warm and the wind dies down I wash the car and do the wheels with Brown Royal.
Does a great job of cleaning the wheels, I do use a brush if the dirt and salt build up is heavy.

When we go to Florida I pick up products at their store in Largo, FL

They will take car of you and explain many things about their products if you stop at their store.

I will be stopping to see them in 3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back