Why does my engine feel so much smoother on mineral than it does on synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kira
Year, make, model, engine...please.

I believe you Dunkaroo, I believe you.

Ditto..
[Linked Image]

Dunky didn't mention the grade of oil he was running. Penrite has a 20w60 if I'm not mistaken. Any engine would run quiet on that.

I've used many different brands of oil over the past 30 years, some synthetic and some conventional. I do sometimes notice one oil is quieter than the other and I would have to say the quietest oils have been conventional and the noisiest synthetic. I have no reason to blame one type over the other, just an observation.

Best thing to have done was not ask the question. If you feel that it's smoother, then leave it at that and enjoy the smoothness !
grin.gif

Disregarding all the self proclaimed pundits on your vehicle, I've noticed the same using different oils. I'd speculate that the uniform molecules in synthetic might transmit vibration a bit better than the various sized molecules found in conventional oil. I'm sure there's been no testing in that regard, maybe I can get some money from the government to test my theory.

FWIW I've also noticed a difference in smoothness between 20 and 30 grades, in more than one engine. Also between 20, 30 and 40 grades in the (snif) 2013 F150 5.0 I used to have.

All kidding aside:

Years ago Costco had a big sale on Formula Shell. Perhaps Shell was changing their packaging....that always results in big sale prices.
I bought 8 12 qt. cases and made it available to my friends at cost whenever they wanted it.

I thought it made my sister's Jeep (4.0l I6) quieter. Friends put it into vehicles and several OPE applications.

They both said their machines liked the oil and cited quietness as their metric.

Placebo effect from a good price? Not my jaded friends.

I've never used Shell oil but I noticed a quieter, smoother engine with a few Castrol oils I've used.

All kidding aside:

Years ago Costco had a big sale on Formula Shell. Perhaps Shell was changing their packaging....that always results in big sale prices.
I bought 8 12 qt. cases and made it available to my friends at cost whenever they wanted it.

I thought it made my sister's Jeep (4.0l I6) quieter. Friends put it into vehicles and several OPE applications.

They both said their machines liked the oil and cited quietness as their metric.

Placebo effect from a good price? Not my jaded friends.

I used Formula Shell in my old-beat-up 95 Cherokee Sport for years. She liked it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Year, make, model, engine...please.

I believe you Dunkaroo, I believe you.

Ditto..
[Linked Image]

34FEDC26-E498-4F2A-98F3-128C84C2AC96.jpeg

"I wouldn'have saw it if I hadn't believed it" You believe syn is smoother so it feels smoother. Confirmation bias, in other words.

After an oil change from dino to a top brand syn, I could hear some grinding noise when idling with the hood up. I wasn't worried about it but after a week or two, the noise was gone and it sounded smoother. Maybe like someone mentioned the new additives in the syn oil needed time to unpack ... or there was a tribofilm war for a while and it finally settled, or syn doesn't block the noise or Bigfoot is messing with your engine when using syn since he likes a more natural oil ...
shocked2.gif

OP,
Walk down the street and knock on Shannow's door. He may know the answer
grin2.gif

I've tried quite a few brands over the years. I could never really tell that much of a difference. Some engines are prone to certain inherent noises, like valve ticking or timing chain etc. In those engines, and on cold start ups, some oils can quiet down the noises. Whether that translates to better wear protection or not is questionable.

OP, your opinion is just as valid as anu on here who say one oil is smoother than others they've tried. It's your car and money. Buy what meets spec and makes you feel better.

Originally Posted by jbutch
I think KV100 will impact more the "smoothness" of the engine than mineral vs synthetic.

Moly content could also quiet down an engine.

So much more factors that could effect that than just mineral vs synth.

HTHS is a better spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back