Delo 5W40 CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a gallon today at Walmart and it's still CJ-4. Good thing as their CK-4 is not Ford PSD approved. I would have thought the CJ-4 would have been gone off the Walmart shelves a year or two ago. I bought all I could find at Walmart when CK-4 came out.

Originally Posted by Donald
I picked up a gallon today at Walmart and it's still CJ-4. Good thing as their CK-4 is not Ford PSD approved.

Sorry, I believe that's an outdated internet piece of information. As far as I know the spec for PS diesels is WSSM2C171F1 as described by BlakeB above. Here is a CK-4 that meets that spec.

EBFA618B-A323-4210-9709-39B45218DF8B.jpeg

1D1E8785-5C16-4D7F-93E0-991DBED4A75B.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I picked up a gallon today at Walmart and it's still CJ-4. Good thing as their CK-4 is not Ford PSD approved.

Sorry, I believe that's an outdated internet piece of information. As far as I know the spec for PS diesels is WSSM2C171F1 as described by BlakeB above. Here is a CK-4 that meets that spec.

I was referring to Chevron Delo 5W40 syntheic not Rotella. I do not see any Chevron Delo 5W40 on the Ford approved list.

I was referring to Chevron Delo 5W40 syntheic not Rotella. I do not see any Chevron Delo 5W40 on the Ford approved list.
For the 2011-2016 PSD (and any later models before the release of the F1 Ford spec), CJ-4 was the ruling specification. Chevron Delo is "more oil than a Powerstroke needs".

Delo 5w40 could run half the stuff on rubber worldwide (and most of the stuff on steel tracks)
Interesting to see Delvac 1 0w40 at the top of the list … did not see the 5w40
My buddy carries Delvac 1 5w40 to the Ford dealer and they put it in while the service manager rolls his eyes.

To my surprise, I looked at 3 places yesterday, all 3 had CJ mixed in with CK:

Publix Grocery store- probably makes the most sense due to slow or no sales of HDEO. Quart bottles of Delo 400, total of eight, half CJ-4

Walmart- had a couple gallon jugs of Castrol GTX diesel left in CJ-4.

Tractor Supply- had several gallon jugs of their Traveller house brand in CJ-4.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

For the 2011-2016 PSD (and any later models before the release of the F1 Ford spec), CJ-4 was the ruling specification. Chevron Delo is "more oil than a Powerstroke needs".

I typically run the Delo two clicks of the OLM, with a full flow filter change at each OLM. The bypass filter gets changed every other oil change.

I typically run the Delo two clicks of the OLM, with a full flow filter change at each OLM. The bypass filter gets changed every other oil change.
If you are running a bypass filtering system it sounds like you are changing your oil too frequently. A UOA would pay out in spades in your application.

If you are running a bypass filtering system it sounds like you are changing your oil too frequently. A UOA would pay out in spades in your application.

I do UOAs and post them. I am going a few thousand more miles with each oil change. At 17K prev. Maybe this one at 19K or 20K.

I do UOAs and post them. I am going a few thousand more miles with each oil change. At 17K prev. Maybe this one at 19K or 20K.

I looked for them, but did not find any. What are they telling you?

I looked for them, but did not find any. What are they telling you?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...esel-delo-400-le-15460-miles#Post4912236

30K is possible; wear metals are good and TBN is at 5.9 (not that diesels need a lot of TBN versus gasoline engines). I would look for a wire backed media full flow filter though. I would not trust an MC filter to go that far.

I have been changing the full flow filter at each OLM, about 8K miles. I now have a supply of NAPA Platinum to use.

30K is possible; wear metals are good and TBN is at 5.9 (not that diesels need a lot of TBN versus gasoline engines). I would look for a wire backed media full flow filter though. I would not trust an MC filter to go that far.

I have been changing the full flow filter at each OLM, about 8K miles. I now have a supply of NAPA Platinum to use.

I have 24 CarQuest Blue (Wix and Baldwin) that I will let go cheap.

Does anyone find that Delo XSP 5w-40 foams more then other oils. I am using it in a Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T and a Hyundai forum member said he had problem with foaming really bad with a street corner racer and I checked mine after a mile of cool down time and I found some foam bubbles on the dipstick that I have never seen before. Anyone see this or is there a foam test I can run on use oil to see it's anti-foam value??

I just bought 2 X 5 gal pails of it yesterday. $144 Canadian $$ each X 76% = $109.44 USD

That will be my December to April oil this year.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
I just bought 2 X 5 gal pails of it yesterday. $144 Canadian $$ each X 76% = $109.44 USD

That will be my December to April oil this year.

Please let us know how it works for you.
I assume it will perform.

It will go in a 2018 L5P 3500 highcountry, 2011 2500 6.6L (see uoa results in post your last oil change, SAE40) and a 2013 5.3L 1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back