Oil Recommendation Mercedes AMG C63 (M156)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, have read a number of the oil threads for the c63 engine - flat tappet engines, bleed down issues etc etc..

The two top oils people seem to recommend are M1 5w/40 or 5w/40 Shell Rotella T6

Curious what you guys reckon is the best oil for the M156 engines? Is it worthwhile using a ZDDP additive?

Thanks

Last edited:
What year? Assuming the MB oil specification for your year is 229.5, and based upon average temperatures in Singapore, I would stay with one of the approved 5W-40 oils. I would not recommend the Shell Rotella T6. It is not approved to 229.5.

M1 Formula M 5W-40 is a great motor oil. So is Motul 6100 SYN-Nergy. Shell Full Synthetic 5W-40 is approved. So is Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Another approved Shell product is Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40.

Not knowing what is available in Singapore, I would recommend you use the Mercedes Bevo site to see what is approved, and compare that to what is available to you. You really can't go wrong with any of the Mercedes approved motor oils. To get an approved status, a motor oil has to be tested to MB specifications. Don't use an oil that simply says "MB229.5", but rather, one that says "MB-Approval 229.5" on the label.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevo...&blatt=229.5&content_action=show

Originally Posted by Debe
Curious what you guys reckon is the best oil for the M156 engines? Is it worthwhile using a ZDDP additive?

Petronas 7000 + 1oz Redline break-in additive.

Done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer

Done.

Castrol 0W-40 from Walmart for $20.98 for five quarts. Or, Mobil 1 0W-40 with a decent rebate.

Actually has Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval unlike the goofy Petronas product. Requires no goofy additive.

Done.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Done.

Castrol 0W-40 from Walmart for $20.98 for five quarts. Or, Mobil 1 0W-40 with a decent rebate.

Actually has Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval unlike the goofy Petronas product. Requires no goofy additive.

Done.

Petronas 7000 does have 229.5 approval. Did you see OP's location?

Don't use any oil that's not approved by MB, as it was said previously MB 229.5 spec is out there on the web.
For your location, is it easy to buy oil? Expensive? What's available in stores? Is the market full of fakes? Make sure you know the answers first before you pour anything in that c63.
Have you checked with a local dealer? Who knows maybe it's easier and cheaper just go there

Originally Posted by kschachn

Done.

Oh sorry. The only what I have found to Walmart and Singapur, was a book from the series "explore countries".
I thought Walmart doesn't exist in Singapur. My fault.

Syntium 7000... have a good classic addpack with 229.5 approval, base oil is 90% PAO and 10% HC, include AN and is good available in Asia.
I hope your budget to spews nonsense about goofys is for this week already depleted.

And, no idea what to do with all of the price informations in recommendations. Is here a cluster of bazaar emissaries or other goofy bargain hunters? Or forum with specific, technical knowledge?
If a bloke with AMG C63 ask for... anything, you can assume, calm, +- $15 are not his biggest issue. Thanks for your understanding.

If a guy come up and ask for oil, because he believes (ok, another question) that his engine is a littlebit problematic, I dont look for first, for best offers. I am technician, not a marketer...
If you are always against me, as marketer, simply with it is I, you must more exert yourself. For sure.

Adios.

Last edited:
Hi Gents - thanks for all the replies.

I have no problems buying an oil from Amazon so all the suggestions are available - I just wanted the best oil for this engine which I know is problematic and prone to premature valve train wear (design flaws).

Curious - why do people like Castrol 0w/40 so much? I read this quite a lot - I always thought M1>Castrol - maybe I am mistaken?

I have no further (better) recommendations.

Without Redline break-in, it be complicated and without approvals. Its Rowe Hightec Synth RS 5W-40 (NOT Synt RSi) and I have no idea about availability in Singapore. I think this looks bad.

People likes Castrol 0W-40, because their lives in the past... Since Castrols 0W-30 & Co., 5W-40 and 0W-40 have markedly weak base oils. And thus, $20.98 for five quarts, is ok. But you are looking for very good/best oils. This is no more Castrol 0W-40.

edit:
LOL. Sorry. Singapur == Singapore (awkward
blush.gif
)

Last edited:
I use Castrol Edge 0w/40 in my C63 (M156). The same oil as I've been using in my Ford G6E turbo for the last 10 years. I also considered some of the Penrite oils with MB approval for their higher ZDDP.

Last edited:
Castrol 0W-40 is not the same oil for the last 10 years. Its like talking to a brick wall...

Penrite is cool
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:

Done.

Check your owner's manual before using any additive. If your owner's manual is like mine, it specifically states to never use an oil additive. I found it. Here it is. "The use of any oil additives is not recommended by Mercedes-Benz USA and may result in damage to the engine which is not covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty." I realize you aren't in the USA, and also that you don't have to be concerned about not being covered by warranty. But the advice is still well founded. Caveat emptor.

Again, considering your climate, I would avoid any 0W motor oil.

Originally Posted by BHopkins

Done.

Check your owner's manual before using any additive. If your owner's manual is like mine, it specifically states to never use an oil additive. I found it. Here it is. "The use of any oil additives is not recommended by Mercedes-Benz USA and may result in damage to the engine which is not covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty." I realize you aren't in the USA, and also that you don't have to be concerned about not being covered by warranty. But the advice is still well founded. Caveat emptor.

Again, considering your climate, I would avoid any 0W motor oil.

^This!

The thing about listening to the "manufacturer recommendation" is manufacturers base this on the average time THEY want the engine to last and not wear out during the warranty period. So they are not going to give you advice to make your engine last 200k b/c from a cost benefit perspective they want you buying a new car not prolonging the life of your existing engine.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - a close friend owns a dealership and this is pretty much straight from the horses mouth - all manufacturers are thinking about their profit margins on the used parts side of the business.

That said some additives are good for certain types of engines (Zinc for flat tappet + a friction modifier) and its best to speak to an engine builder about those issues and not the manufacturer.

Just my opinion by the way and what I pick up talking to a lot in the trade

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BHopkins
Check your owner's manual before using any additive. If your owner's manual is like mine, it specifically states to never use an oil additive.
EACH manual says this. That nothing new.

@Debe
Splendid
thumbsup2.gif

And hey, your transmission and diff oil is "lifetime". How long is that? Well... manufacturer says... well... Its living all the time, up to, first malfunction. Ensuing, the time of life, expire. Its dead.
Truly. Check your manual and manufacturer recommendations. Best you can do (sarcasm off)

Manufacturer. One that best knows. Without doubt. But many truly important things, remains hidden. Unnarrated.
18.gif

Last edited:
The thing about listening to the "manufacturer recommendation" is manufacturers base this on the average time THEY want the engine to last and not wear out during the warranty period. So they are not going to give you advice to make your engine last 200k b/c from a cost benefit perspective they want you buying a new car not prolonging the life of your existing engine.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - a close friend owns a dealership and this is pretty much straight from the horses mouth - all manufacturers are thinking about their profit margins on the used parts side of the business.

That said some additives are good for certain types of engines (Zinc for flat tappet + a friction modifier) and its best to speak to an engine builder about those issues and not the manufacturer.

Just my opinion by the way and what I pick up talking to a lot in the trade

That's true, that's why I change oil 2-3 times a year and not once as MB suggest. But I don't honestly think you'll benefit from any kind of extra additive. Modern engine oils have their formulation with all additives in them. So change twice as often with quality oil and you're good to go my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back