Castrol EDGE EP 5W30 In Mixed Driving ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most OM the regular duty OCI is 7500 miles ... For my Elantra PFI and Sedona PFI engines (both in good shape using Fram Ultra Filters + D1 / G2 5W30 syntheric oil) - for mixed , normal suburban driving in Georgia would you consider to run the EDGE EP out to 10K to 12K miles OR one year (which ever comes first ?) ... Previously I was using M1 or PP 5W30 for 6K mile / 6 month OCI's but thinking I could go longer on the EDGE EP oil. ...Your thoughts and experiences ?

I've used the EDGE EP in my Toyota which is a sever service vehicle 80 % of the time it did 7156 miles the UOA came back pretty good.
The TBN was a 2.9. So what I'd do is pull a sample at say 6500 and send it in to be tested and run the car until the UOA came back then
make my decision.

It's my opinion the issue with extended drains is on engines with timing chain(s). The other internal engine components might do just fine, but from my experience, the timing chain and it's related parts wear out quicker with long
OCI's. It might make a difference if you want to put 200K on a vehicle you bought new and have always done long long OCI's.

UOA's mean nothing in this regard.

The Sedona has a timing chain while the Elantra has a timing belt ... I may have to pull the mileage back to a 8K - 9K OCI which still offers an extended drain over regular EDGE .

Originally Posted by skyactiv
It's my opinion the issue with extended drains is on engines with timing chain(s). The other internal engine components might do just fine, but from my experience, the timing chain and it's related parts wear out quicker with long
OCI's. It might make a difference if you want to put 200K on a vehicle you bought new and have always done long long OCI's.

UOA's mean nothing in this regard.

Agree. I wouldn't extend too far with an engine with a timing chain. However, 10-12k isn't that long but it really depends on the engine and driving conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back