Update on my sister's oil burning Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have been using an extractor to make darn sure it consumed more than 1lt every 1000km.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Driz
I've been warning guys on here for years now to stay far away from anything Hyundai Kia with any Theta2 engine! They all come complete with an unfixable engine flaw. Those things have been dying Ike flies since 2011 and as far as I know they're still making the things. As bad as it is in the US market Canadians get raked over the coals due to weak consumer protection laws. In the Hyundai forums there's a separate long running thread on Canadian engine failure issues and it's filled with ugly stories. There's no recall so no 120k miles 10 yr new engine warranty like the US has so Canadians are pretty much SOL if a day out of warranty.

Thanks for the warning
cool.gif

You keep up this false narrative that all Thetta's are doomed. Simply not true. Along with a couple bad ones, that could and does happen to all makes, I can tell you of countless very high mileage Thetta 2.0T and 2.4. Our Santa Fe for example, will hit 200k miles before years end. I owned a 2.4 Sonata for 188k miles when I sold it. Our neighbor is past 200k miles on his Optima, running quick lube conventional oils and jobber filters. It's unfortunate that your partner's was a bad one too, but the vast majority are running well into hundreds of thousands of miles.

And every single auto forum has a section just like the one you mention. All of them.

+1

53' Stude did a C&P on a Sonata with over 300k (I believe it was) on the clock. The oil and filter were great after a 4k run. The cars still going. So that engine is very capable. The problem with forums is it gives a platform for the vocal minority. Few satisfied owners are BITOG'ers who take to forums to praise the virtues of their car. They just quietly keep driving them into oblivion. ...

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
A year ago I posted that my sister's 2017 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 L was burning 1 liter per 1000 kms. She was told that it had to be worse than that for Hyundai to replace the engine. ....

Thoroughly fed up, she traded it for a 2018 Ford Edge yesterday at her local Ford dealer. Her husband did the negotiating, says their happy with the deal. ....

..... she was unlucky to get a lemon. That Hyundai dealer though, terrible service. Customer satisfaction sure isn't a priority to them, and they didn't do any favors for Hyundai's reputation either.

No lemon law arbitration up there? A nice sit down with the Service manager and the Owner will usually fix this.
I would have just continued to drive it until it exceeded the consumption or killed the cat given the warranty. But I understand the frustration. We traded the last Subaru Forester due to a consumption uptick.
My SIL lost the engine on her Sportage also. Took two months to get a replacement, meanwhile they gave her a new Sorento to drive.

Now about that Ford Edge Decision .....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I would have been using an extractor to make darn sure it consumed more than 1lt every 1000km.

So you would perpetuate fraud to get what's yours? Besides, they seal up the dipstick and drain plug so you can't tamper with it.

Hyundai is widely notorious for denying valid warranty claims. They were hostile about my repeated visits for transmission issues on my new Elantra. I worked two jobs (59 hours a week) while going to night classes to buy my Hyundai. Hyundai service departments all went out of their way to make me as uncomfortable as possible each time I mentioned warranty coverage.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

So you would perpetuate fraud to get what's yours? Besides, they seal up the dipstick and drain plug so you can't tamper with it.

Yep.. that's me, the Alfonse Capone of warranty claims!...‚..if the dealers gonna deek me around on a lemon, than sure.. I'm gonna do what I gotta do to get made whole... I'll be darned if I'm gonna get stuck with a brand new POS.

And so much for the fuel economy savings if you're having to buy a qt of oil every thousand miles....‚

Last edited:
My family has three Hyundai with the Theta 11 engines and absolutely no issues as each has over 50,000 miles so far. Oil usage is a few oz per a 5K oil change.

Just out of curiosity, how did you break-in the engine?

I'm glad she ended up getting something else. I would not want a new car to be consuming that amount of oil. I would have done the same.

Everyone here says you don't need to break in an engine these days. Used to be, keep it under 60 the first 500 miles and take it easy the next 500, change the oil at 1,000 miles and again at 3,000.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Everyone here says you don't need to break in an engine these days. Used to be, keep it under 60 the first 500 miles and take it easy the next 500, change the oil at 1,000 miles and again at 3,000.

Every vehicle we've had has gone the recommended oci on factory fill and has never had an issue.

Last edited:
So, she traded a 2017 Hyundai on a Ford at a Ford dealership?

She was probably still making payments on the Hyundai, and I guarantee you the Ford dealership didn't give her as much as she owed on it.

So she would have added a HUGE amount of negative equity to her new loan. I've worked at a dealership in car sales, seen it so many times.

Must be nice to be well-off enough to throw away this kind of money!

I would have stuck with working with Hyundai to get the problem on a 2-year old vehicle fixed.

I was disappointed too that she gave up. A couple things I didn't mention in the original post for this thread; The dealer basically said sorry nothing we can do after the second test. She said fine, let's start a third oil consumption test, and they refused. At her final dealer visit (this is the straw that broke the...), they told her she had to pay for the 1 litre of oil they added
mad.gif
. Unreal.

So I understand her decision. She works full time at a demanding job (lots of overtime), so getting to the dealer all those times during business hours was a real hassle for her. She's just relieved now that it's over.

BTW, her husband went to the Hyundai dealer after that last incident, saw the manager and service manager together and gave them supreme ****.

Last edited:
The 2017 Tucson does not have a Theta2 engine. The 2.0 is a Nu engine.
One thing I've done for many years when buying a used car (have never bought new) is inspect the tail pipe for oily deposits.
I've been fortunate to not buy an oil burner.
The pipe on my Tucson when I got it had some dry soot, expected with GDI.
Looking at other cars when walking around I see many newish Euro luxury makes I would reject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back