KENDALL GT-1 HIGH PERFORMANCE SYN BLEND 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. First post. Looong time lurker. Has anybody used this on a Hemi 5.7 and if so, have you had good results with it?

TIA

It's in my crankcase right now. 3.8L PI V6...no unusual VT noise and my engine hasn't grenaded, so it would seem it's working just fine. I've got about 2k on it right now and plan to run it to 5k. (I won't go over 5k on ANY lube.. hence why I don't buy $20 jug's of oil unless they're on rebate)

Titanium power...oh yeah!...‚.. it's actually hard to find around here unless you find a shop using bulk. Kendall/Phillips has a long history of making great lubes.

Last edited:
Appreciate the replies. I can buy it from my local Phillips 66 distributor at a good price.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
It's in my crankcase right now. 3.8L PI V6...no unusual VT noise and my engine hasn't grenaded, so it would seem it's working just fine. I've got about 2k on it right now and plan to run it to 5k. (I won't go over 5k on ANY lube.. hence why I don't buy $20 jug's of oil unless they're on rebate)

Titanium power...oh yeah!...‚.. it's actually hard to find around here unless you find a shop using bulk. Kendall/Phillips has a long history of making great lubes.

What's funny about titanium? It's a proven additive. Valvoline Advanced has titanium as well.

Originally Posted by PimTac

What's funny about titanium? It's a proven additive. Valvoline Advanced has titanium as well.

I was being facetious, flippant, humorous... feel me?

I feel the same way now...I changed my oil change policy...I no longer go over 5,000 miles on any of my cars/trucks, therefore I don't go crazy trying to find the "best oil" anymore. However I'm always on the lookout for the rebate programs and it's been a great year...don't think I've bought a jug of oil for more than $12 bucks the entire year (Pennzoil Platinum earlier this year and now Rotella Gas Truck). 8 jugs so far and I'll need another 2 in November (the Rotella Gas Truck is on rebate until the end of the year). And Mobil 1 has their rebate running until the end of September.

I never thought I'd be able to buy 40 quarts of name brand synthetic oil for under $100 bucks, but thanks to this site I have.

If I do run into a time frame where the rebates run dry I'll probably go with the 0W20 Super Tech or Amazon Basics, unless the Havoline makes a 0w20 Dexos approved synthetic for under $20. I do get that itch to throw Amsoil Signature series in my truck, but even then I don't think I'd leave it in there for over 6,000 miles or so. I just don't feel great about longer drain intervals with direct injected engines anymore.

I have used it in my 2001 Ford Sport Trac 4.0 SOHC. I had chain rattle issues with it so I switched to Kendall High Mileage 10W30.
Both are darn good oil!

Uh , no.

Uh , no.

When was the last time you took a vacation?🤔...‚

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Appreciate the replies. I can buy it from my local Phillips 66 distributor at a good price.

Define "good price"?

I have seen good VOA and UOA in the past with Kendall (conventional, blend and syn), and would use it if I could find it for cheap (and for me, that would be less than $1/qt for a syn blend, $2/qt for synthetic).

As mentioned above, you can find oil for cheap (rebates, clearance, etc), you just can't be a brand loyalist.
Even right now, you can get a jug of Mobil 1 for ~$23 @ Walmart, and has a $12 MIR

Originally Posted by blupupher
OilReport99 said:
Define "good price"?

It takes two to "define" a good price: a buyer and a seller. The good price - or just price - is the one both agree on when the transaction is made. For the oil in my question, $2-2.50/qt would be a good price for me and the other party, depending on how much I buy. For the oil I'm currently running - Redline 5W-30 - I'm Okay paying $11/qt - values are subjective.

Not interested in hunting down rebates and coupons, there's a cost of invested time on it I'm not willing to go through. Just wanted to know more about the Kendall Syn Blend as I can get it cheaper in bulk than most syn blends from Walmart or Amazon without having to go through the rebates gymnastics. After all, most modern oils do the trick.

I'm not a brand loyalist, but I figure it's okay to be one.

Thanks,

OilReport99 said:
Define "good price"?

It takes two to "define" a good price: a buyer and a seller. The good price - or just price - is the one both agree on when the transaction is made. For the oil in my question, $2-2.50/qt would be a good price for me and the other party, depending on how much I buy. For the oil I'm currently running - Redline 5W-30 - I'm Okay paying $11/qt - values are subjective.

Not interested in hunting down rebates and coupons, there's a cost of invested time on it I'm not willing to go through. Just wanted to know more about the Kendall Syn Blend as I can get it cheaper in bulk than most syn blends from Walmart or Amazon without having to go through the rebates gymnastics. After all, most modern oils do the trick.

Thanks,

If you're getting it less than $4~5qt then it's a steal... while Kendall ain't horribly expensive it ain't cheap either.

It's a great lube... check out the TDS for it.

Last edited:
OilReport99 said:
Define "good price"?

Thanks,

If you're getting it less than $4~5qt then it's a steal... while Kendall ain't horribly expensive it ain't cheap either.

It's a great lube... check out the TDS for it.

I can get the GT-1 Max for $3.99/qt, taxes included and that's buying only a bucket ( i have some in my stash). But I want to change my OC policy to 4-4500 miles and I figure blend would be good enough. Plenty of info out there about the good add pack they have.

ty

Thanks,

I can get the GT-1 Max for $3.99/qt, taxes included and that's buying only a bucket ( i have some in my stash). But I want to change my OC policy to 4-4500 miles and I figure blend would be good enough. Plenty of info out there about the good add pack they have.

ty

I agree.
I was defining my idea of a good price, and it will vary person to person.
I don't mind deal hunting, but if I ever get to the point of needing oil I will just buy the cheapest at the time (most likely Supertech or Quaker State).

If you can get the Kendall blend for $2-2.50/qt day in day out, that is a decent price for a good oil. For a 5000 mile interval, would do just fine.
GT-1 for $4 out the door is not too bad either

Thanks,

ty

I agree.
I don't mind deal hunting, but if I ever get to the point of needing oil I will just buy the cheapest at the time (most likely Supertech or Quaker State).

If you can get the Kendall blend for $2-2.50/qt day in day out, that is a decent price for a good oil. For a 5000 mile interval, would do just fine.

Yessir,

Nothing wrong with deal hunting, just at my age, raising kids, I don't have much time to worry about finding coupons. I like to work on my truck myself and having enough of a good oil in my garage for a few OC's takes some weight out of the equation.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree.

Yessir,

Nothing wrong with deal hunting, just at my age, raising kids, I don't have much time to worry about finding coupons. I like to work on my truck myself and having enough of a good oil in my garage for a few OC's takes some weight out of the equation.

Thanks for your reply.[/quote]
I'm in the same boat (2 teenage kids & 50yrs old) albeit I still do the rebate thing. Sometimes those rebates take so long I forget about them. Ugh...

$4qt is a fair price. That lubes a solid performer with a 11.0 100c kv, 3.1 hths and a TBN of 8. I don't believe it uses much in the way of moly but it's got gobs of titanium and boron... and as mentioned, it seems to be doing just fine in my V6. Of course the proof is in the pudding as they say, so you'll just have to run it and see how it does by you...but frankly I'd be shocked if it couldn't handle your 4.5k oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back