Stick with OEM or try aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I've just recently started doing my own oil changes and have used the OEM oil filter. The car has a bit of age now and has a lot of miles (258,000+) on it as well. It has used only OEM oil filters, also including prior to me changing the oil.

I'm just curious if it's worth it to try aftermarket oil filters or just stick with what has been working so far. I really don't have a reason to use aftermarket; I guess I'm just a bit curious too see how they would perform. On the other hand, one could say that since OEM is working, why go through the hassle to see if other filters do as good of a job? I don't have any preferences but have bought a few aftermarket oil filters to try out. Guess I'm bored or w/e but is it worth trying out new filters or stick with what has been working?

You guys have more experience than I so just wondering.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Who is the OEM?

Heh, should've mentioned it. Car is a 2008 Mazda 3. Thanks.

Does yours use the LF05-14-302B spin on or the L321-14-302A-9U cartridge filter? They cross over to Motorcraft FL-910S and FL-2017B respectively.

Those are nice cars, I always like the 3's in those years.

Hi bdcardinal, it uses the LF05-14-302B filter. I am with you on that one - I really like the car and glad it has done so well. That is my favorite Mazda 3 generation by far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nav45
I'm just a bit curious too see how they would perform.

Not being snarky, but how would you know?

Originally Posted by chainblu

I would guess by the way the car performs and if it does or does not exhibit any strange behaviors out of the "norm."

Originally Posted by chainblu

I would guess by the way the car performs and if it does or does not exhibit any strange behaviors out of the "norm."

I'm willing to bet that if you simply removed the filter, you would not perceive any performance change, nor strange behaviors.

So, I think your criteria for filter performance is specious, at best.

Honestly, most filters will be good enough. OEM will be fine.

There is nothing wrong at all with Mazda OEM oil filters. Most all OEM filters perform well. You won't go wrong by continuing to use the OEM filter.

But if you would like to try something else, the Fram Ultra XG3614 is a great filter. The Wix 51348 is also a good choice. Both are readily available. You won't have to search for them or special order them from an exclusive salesperson.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I'm willing to bet that if you simply removed the filter, you would not perceive any performance change, nor strange behaviors.

At least not until all the oil puked out the filter mount.
laugh.gif

Toyo-roki was the OEM supplier for most of the Mazda oil filters at least up until 2015ish. If they still are I would keep with them, they are good filters.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Astro14

At least not until all the oil puked out the filter mount.
laugh.gif

Sorry, thought this one was a cartridge.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If you have gone 258,000 miles using oem filters, why would you try anything else now?

He's done it without knowing about bitog. Poor guy, he's going down the rabbit hole of "no more oil changes for the next 7500 miles" and the next day he's changing the oil and filter to try smth new

OP, before it's too late - delete your account on bitog and return to your normal life. I've been buying oil and filters nonstop since I've joined the bitog. Trust me, you won't stop after trying some aftermarket filter. One day you'll wake up with a stash of oil, filter and other parts (just like I did)
You've been warned

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
If you have gone 258,000 miles using oem filters, why would you try anything else now?

He's done it without knowing about bitog. Poor guy, he's going down the rabbit hole of "no more oil changes for the next 7500 miles" and the next day he's changing the oil and filter to try smth new

OP, before it's too late - delete your account on bitog and return to your normal life. I've been buying oil and filters nonstop since I've joined the bitog. Trust me, you won't stop after trying some aftermarket filter. One day you'll wake up with a stash of oil, filter and other parts (just like I did)
You've been warned

This^

I have 8 filters stashed. 40 some odd quarts. And always look for deals still. Lol

Originally Posted by SlavaB

You've been warned

lol.gif

For real though... before I found this site, I ran Valvoline oil in a viscosity my vehicle called for with Mobil 1 or Bosch filters. And now I've gone down the rabbit hole, running Castrol 0w40 (just because) oil in cars calling for 5w20 with Fram Ultra filters
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
The last 3 OEM Mazda oil filters I bought were made in Japan. Are yours made in Japan? If so, I'd stick with them as I doubt that you would get any better filters.

I wish I could get oil filters for my Toyota's that were made in Japan.
grin2.gif

There's something intoxicating about manufacturer specific Japanese oil filters.

Seriously, my sister bought a 2012 Mazda3. 'Twas the first year for the Skyaktiv features.

The engine, a 1998cc, had a different bypass pressure than the previous engines. Two good companies, WIX and Hastings, didn't have a listing for 6 months.

Other filter companies used their old filters in the new application.

In the name of simplicity, you've been doing the right thing. Just for giggles the next time you're picking up your filter, ask 'em if the number for a 2014 Skyaktiv engine is the same.

This IS the welcome sign on the rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back