Considering Solar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy and you get the tax credits, not the solar company installing. Take a loan and the monthly savings and tax credits will pay the loan off.

Originally Posted by walterjay
If you are staying in the home long term solar may very well be the way to go. If selling in a few years don't do it. I have had realtors tell me that a solar array is a turn off to more people than you think.

I am curious as to what the turn off is...
I thought solar was considered an improvement.

Turn off is the 20 years of payments. It is much cheaper for me to just pay the power company. They have huge solar arrays in the desert. That is the future. Solar panels on your roof are going to be the next giant TV antenna. Everyone had one, now none does. The solar removal business will be booming in 10 years or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Turn off is the 20 years of payments. It is much cheaper for me to just pay the power company. They have huge solar arrays in the desert. That is the future. Solar panels on your roof are going to be the next giant TV antenna. Everyone had one, now none does. The solar removal business will be booming in 10 years or so.

It's cheaper for me to pay the note on my own solar. It's also more price-stable (I won't charge myself more as the years go by...). It sounds like you're getting gouged on the loan, or the solar install, or both.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm going solar. 12.95kW ground mount system.

ed some part replacement every 10-15 years or so. That's about it, unless you have no rain + dust storms, etc. and then you will need to keep the panels clean somewhat.

Also, here is a website that I used to calculate my power production vs usage. I should have a $0 bill for 9 months, and a 50% bill for 3 months. .

12.95KW...rated power, not daily production....how much electricity do you use ?

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by Ws6

ed some part replacement every 10-15 years or so. That's about it, unless you have no rain + dust storms, etc. and then you will need to keep the panels clean somewhat.

Also, here is a website that I used to calculate my power production vs usage. I should have a $0 bill for 9 months, and a 50% bill for 3 months. .

12.95KW...rated power, not daily production....how much electricity do you use ?

I'm gonna guess he's pushing 2,500+kWh a month, based on what we use and how much our solar panels bring in, our solar array is ~10kW.

I could be way off though, if his electricity is significantly more expensive or something. We are also on a feed in tariff where they buy our electricity for more than it costs to buy it from the utility.

Last edited:
83kWh a day ???
Are you guys running arc smelters in the loungeroom ? ... that's $25/day in electricty alone here

13-15 kWh/day here.

83kWh a day ???
Are you guys running arc smelters in the loungeroom ? ... that's $25/day in electricty alone here

13-15 kWh/day here.

I have kind of a weird living arrangement right now... ~5,000sq ft house, 2 families. 1st floor where we live has its own central air and heating system. Then there are 2 more units that heat and cool the ground and 3rd floor. Our floor is roughly 1800 sq ft. At our old house we'd use between 800-1500kWh depending on season and whatnot.

83kWh is about $9 here
crazy2.gif

My solar has about 6 year break even point; likely less than that if electricity goes up and if I use more (which I am).
Then my cost is $15 per month to be on the PGE grid. Plus I got a really high quality roof for 30% off which makes the deal that much better.
I charge the Tesla for free.

I am not sure how your math works out.
If simply paying the power company was more cost effective, why would anyone go solar?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

My solar has about 6 year break even point; likely less than that if electricity goes up and if I use more (which I am).
Then my cost is $15 per month to be on the PGE grid. Plus I got a really high quality roof for 30% off which makes the deal that much better.
I charge the Tesla for free.

I am not sure how your math works out.
If simply paying the power company was more cost effective, why would anyone go solar?

That's good in your situation though. Where I'm at, it would take me a minimum of 20 years to break even for how little energy I use, probably closer to 30-40 years actually and the sun doesn't always shine here.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I use 1200-2100kwh per month. I ram the numbers on the panels on a per month basis, and the equation is good. It will overproduce for 8mo, the overage will cover the 9th mo, and 2 to 3 mo will result in under production due to it being winter and my highest usage. Hence the calculator I linked ealier...

I didn't know personal residences used as much power as some of these posts. Shocking.

I live where it may be 0f or below at night for a whole month. I dont have petroleum heating. All electric.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
I didn't know personal residences used as much power as some of these posts. Shocking.

I live where it may be 0f or below at night for a whole month. I dont have petroleum heating. All electric.

Yup, that'd do it, heating with electric is a real power consumer. I heat with gas; I couldn't imagine heating this place with electric. I average ~850kWh/month, which is just over $100.00 with water/sewer on top of that as well as gas, which averages around $1,750/year, which includes my hot water heater use and rental fees.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Ws6

Yup, that'd do it, heating with electric is a real power consumer. I heat with gas; I couldn't imagine heating this place with electric. I average ~850kWh/month, which is just over $100.00 with water/sewer on top of that as well as gas, which averages around $1,750/year, which includes my hot water heater use and rental fees.

I have well water. Septic. Once solar goes in, my only real utility bill will be internet.

Glad to be down in Texas. We have a new built home, have been consuming right around 1000kwh all summer long. 1450 sq foot home.

Electric and Gas are with one company, and my monthly bill has been right around $100 per month.

Solar doesn't make sense at my rates.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Glad to be down in Texas. We have a new built home, have been consuming right around 1000kwh all summer long. 1450 sq foot home.

Electric and Gas are with one company, and my monthly bill has been right around $100 per month.

That's kindof a lot for only 1450sf AND gas. Friend of mine burns less, and has 2000sf in San Antonio, no gas. Hes going solar. It makes sense financially.

Originally Posted by Ws6

That's kindof a lot for only 1450sf AND gas. Friend of mine burns less, and has 2000sf in San Antonio, no gas. Hes going solar. It makes sense financially.

That's about what we used at in our 1100sq ft home... though my wife is always home with the kids. Never really had any times we were all gone to lower/raise the thermostat and shut everything off.

Last bill we got we used 769kWh, which cost me $114.25, taxes and customer charge included. 31 therms of gas was another $35.73, all charges and tax included. When it was frigidly cold here last year and my furnace ran almost non-stop for 2 days, that bill was $233
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6

That's about what we used at in our 1100sq ft home... though my wife is always home with the kids. Never really had any times we were all gone to lower/raise the thermostat and shut everything off.

Last bill we got we used 769kWh, which cost me $114.25, taxes and customer charge included. 31 therms of gas was another $35.73, all charges and tax included. When it was frigidly cold here last year and my furnace ran almost non-stop for 2 days, that bill was $233
shocked2.gif

Yeah, but he said new construction and in TX. Friends house is in San Antonio and is early 2000s.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yeah, but he said new construction and in TX. Friends house is in San Antonio and is early 2000s.

I missed that, good point... mine was clearly built by the lowest bidder in 1971. I don't know how you screw up the squareness of a room by over 4", but they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back