Odd situation. What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by tomcat27

... put the best tires on the rear.

Everyone says that ... except on a FWD car the front wheels power the car, steer the car and stop the car.

Exactly why you put the best tires on the rear. At least you have some control of the front wheels even with worn tires. You have no direct control of the rears.

Ditto. Bad tires on the front means you will notice that you're losing control of the front and will slow down. Good tires in front means you won't notice it til the rear tires are ahead of your front tires (fishtail, exaggeration of course).

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by tomcat27

... put the best tires on the rear.

Everyone says that ... except on a FWD car the front wheels power the car, steer the car and stop the car.

Exactly why you put the best tires on the rear. At least you have some control of the front wheels even with worn tires. You have no direct control of the rears.

Unless you have 4 wheel steering.

While sidewall bulges are often the result of impact, the cause of the bulge is nearly always cord failure. The large differences in quality between tires of differing brands will make a significant difference in how well any given tire holds up to impact.

That tire brand is not for you and your driving conditions.

I keep my vehicles to the bitter end. Not once have I had a Michelin tire experience a sidewall bulge. I did have all 4 chinese made Hankook Ventus tires bulge and become miserably shaky.

A tire of that size has a real sidewall! And you hit a pothole hard enough to bulge that?
crazy2.gif

Anyway, you should consider 3-peak all-season tires. Vredesitn Quatrac 5, Nokian WRG4, Toyo Celsius, etc

I'm in the "wife is never driving sketchy garbage" camp. I'd either replace now, or look for a set of winter tires/wheels on Craigslist to get her through the winter.

I do have CS3s on the ratty, old minivan that I use for dump runs and winter beater duty. We get a lot of snow, often over a foot at a time. The CS3s were actually great the first winter, and I was able to drive on unplowed roads until the snow was deep enough to lift the front end. Winter #2 was a different story, and this year I will opt to telecommute/leave work early when a storm is inbound. The CS3s are inexpensive for a reason.

My take is that this thing is too new to be on beater grade tires and that one's wife should never drive on such tires anyway.
Suck it up and put your spouse on good matching rubber.
The very fact that you posted your concerns here indicates that you have some reservations about the tires now on the car and your comments about your experience with these tires bears this out.
If cost is a serious concern, Black Friday is but two unlikely to be snowy months away.

I have the General Altimax RT43 on my Acura TL and the tires do well in wet and snow. The ride is good. I too hit a pothole and took it to tire discounters where they replaced the tire with their road hazard warranty. So I would recommend doing that. It has saved me more than once over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back