Drain and refill or Cooler line flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Tacoma with a 4 speed Automatic trans and has 116k miles on the ODO, ive always done and pan drain and refill every 30k miles but never a full flush out. ive ordered 12 quarts of genuine Toyota t-IV fluid should I just continue on with 4 quart pan drains at 30k and spread out those 12 quarts or is it time to get it all out with a full flush. the trucks a daily driver no towing and the ATF visually looks very good. it takes exactly 4 quarts to pan drain the whole system takes 11 quarts.

Drain and fill. Even if you did the "flush" you wouldn't run it dry, and you'd mix old and new.

I wouldn't mess with the cooler lines. Less risk of breaking the fitting, etc.

Toyota makes it too easy with the drain plug on these things to do it any other way.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
WS is the fluid of preference, no?

not this one it takes the T-IV

Originally Posted by cos
Yep, continue doing the drain 'n fills.
that's what am thinking

Originally Posted by JustinH

Toyota makes it too easy with the drain plug on these things to do it any other way.
true it all looks easy on YOUTUBE with my luck i'll break something getting of the AT return line

Is it a 2013 or 2003 Tacoma? No way a 2013 Tacoma would take T-IV ATF.

And you don't need to cooler line flush if you've been doing pan drains every 30K.

Originally Posted by jrvn

true it all looks easy on YOUTUBE with my luck i'll break something getting of the AT return line

Dunno about your personal luck but with me it seems if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Ugh......

KISS...keep it simple stupid..I often have to remind myself of this....‚

30k draiin and fills, I would say you have one of the freshest transmission fluids around. Most never touch their transmission until it breaks and some only when they hit 100k. That thing will last a long time.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Is it a 2013 or 2003 Tacoma? No way a 2013 Tacoma would take T-IV ATF.

And you don't need to cooler line flush if you've been doing pan drains every 30K.
2013, 4 speed automatic with a dipstick

Originally Posted by ZZman
Since u know the maintenance and have done it regularly why change a good process?
jup I agree, I just wanted a little more input from more experienced mechanics/DIYs about it, the concensus is if im doing regular pans drains at 30k miles the existing ATF should be in relatively good condition and not dirty to the point of needing the whole system evacuated of fluid.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by jrvn

Dunno about your personal luck but with me it seems if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Ugh......

KISS...keep it simple stupid..I often have to remind myself of this....‚
ha ha ha I totally with you brother, story of my life

I'd continue exactly what you're doing.

Like said above, when they're designed to and have an easy means to drain and fill, it's a no brainer IMO.

Doing D & F's like you've done every 30k... there's just not much to "flush" out. You're doing everything right to get the most out of that tranny...ðŸ‘

I have a 2006 Tacoma with 4-speed automatic. At 120,000 miles I dropped the transmission pan and replaced the filter and pan gasket. It didn't take much more fluid than a regular drain & fill. I think the pan & filter service should be done at least once in a vehicle's lifetime if you plan on keeping it long-term. From here forward I'm only doing 30,000 mile drain & fills using the drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back