2011 GMC Acadia Shock/Strut Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question for the good folks of BITOG:

I have a friend who owns this vehicle and is on a limited budget. I have the mechanical ability to do the job but am torn on part brands. I could go with ACDELCO but the only issue there is that everyone only sells the strut, so I would have to transfer the spring, etc to the new one. I can do it, but would prefer an all in one. The cost of these is 90/each.

Are there any other brands of struts for this application that would be considered good quality or should I just make the ACDelcos work? The aftermarket options are reasonably priced but I don't want her to have crummy parts either. So far options i've seen are Monroe, Gabriel, TRQ, and 1A Auto. Thanks for any input

I do not like quick struts. Many people don't realize vehicles manufactures often have different springs for different models.
As an example, the vehicle manufacture might use front and rear springs that are .75 MM larger in diameter for a higher trim model that has a sunroof and leather seats vs
a lower trim model. The one size fits all approach on spring rates used on quick struts doesn't fly.

Rock Auto shows no quick struts for your application.
That being said, I'd choose KYB for a good balance between quality and cost.
KYB is also offering a rebate at this time.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I do not like quick struts. Many people don't realize vehicles manufactures often have different springs for different models.
As an example, the vehicle manufacture might use front and rear springs that are .75 MM larger in diameter for a higher trim model that has a sunroof and leather seats vs
a lower trim model. The one size fits all approach on spring rates used on quick struts doesn't fly.

Thanks for the heads up, I did not know that. I may just get the spring compression tool if that's the case and go ACDELCO all around.

31.gif

Cheap quick struts are no good and rarely last beyond 10k.

Get Monroe or KYB quick struts. They're awesome
smile.gif

KYB has a rebate promo going on right now, $50 off the set of 4, the 2 front quick struts and the 2 rear shocks. The KYB Gas-A-Just shocks for the rear and the quick struts up front will make your Acadia ride like new
happy2.gif

If you don't use quick struts, get Bilstein shocks and struts. Using Bilstein is the only reason to not use quick struts. That is, Bilstein B6 (listed under the red section on Rock Auto "Increased Handling/Performance). Not the B4.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Rock Auto shows no quick struts for your application.
That being said, I'd choose KYB for a good balance between quality and cost.
KYB is also offering a rebate at this time.

Rock Auto does indeed show quick struts for the OP's 2011 GMC Acadia
smile.gif

Oh dang they have acdelco's to, missed that one! For the $40/each difference, should she just go with the acs?

Originally Posted by panthermike
Oh dang they have acdelco's to, missed that one! For the $40/each difference, should she just go with the acs?

The ACDelco quick struts are not OEM parts. They are reboxed Gabriel
mad.gif

However, the OE strut itself (NOT the quick strut) is available on Rockauto. You have to be careful when shopping ACDelco parts. It has to say "GM Original Equipment" in order to actually be the OE parts. They have a few other lines including "Professional" which is reboxed mid-grade aftermarket parts, and Advantage (Disadvantage) which is usually bottom-rung scrap metal. The only times where "Professional" is the same as OEM is pars such as filters and spark plugs.

As an aside, Ford *does* offer Motorcraft quick struts that actually are OEM parts.

So, either get the KYB quick struts + Gas-a-just shocks, or get Bilstein struts and shocks if you're willing to use a spring compressor.

Originally Posted by panthermike

They are probably NOT OE.....AC Delco has different tiers of part quality!

The OE Sachs struts.....Toyota OE Springs, Mounts, & Isolators for the front of my Avalon cost almost $1000 in parts alone.....Just the front! GM vehicles are usually cheaper but still way more than the "Economy" offerings.

Bilsteins may cause a harsh ride......I love the Bilsteins on my 2500HD & Camaro, But never had much liking for them on a CUV or Sedan.

Did the job this morning; wasn't terrible at all just time consuming three and a half hours or so including a tool run haha. Plus it saved her around $600.

Ended up going with the KYB quick struts and the KYB gas adjust for the rear. Took it for a test drive and all seems good rode nice, she took it for an alignment immediately after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back