Pennzoil Launches Four New Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by zuluplus30
I'm confused from a retailer standpoint. Are retailers supposed to make 4 times as much room on the shelves for this now? It will end up cannibalizing sales of PP/PUP and will also lead to decreased availability of all products across the board at any given retailer. My current Walmart already has problems keeping PP stocked on the shelves in all the available weights. This will only exasperate the problem IMHO by multiplying the product lines.

It will exasperate the problem for a while, until they realize certain products in the Pennzoil lineup a going to be duds, then they blow it out at closeout prices and free up space again for the stuff that does sell. We knew AP would be a dud, and the price would drop, it seems XOM still hasn't learned from that flop, and judging from this Pennzoil might have made an even bigger mistake.

But AP seems to still be selling, at least around me. The price settled to 35 bucks. The rebates made it better. It still has plenty of shelf space at the three Walmarts close to me and product seems to be turning over. Not like regular Mobil 1, but they seem to be selling enough to keep it viable and justify the business case. If not, it will disappear.

Based on specifications met, compared to Pennzoil Platinum, I am not impressed by these new oils. I didn't see Dexos 1 Gen 2 approvals in the PDSs for any of the the couple oils I looked at. PP also says it is GF-6 ready while the ones I looked at didn't say that. There are too many flavors of toothpaste going on with Pennzoil for my taste.

*Do I want Extended Care 5W30 or Stop / Start 5W30 for typical suburban mixed driving ? ... Or maybe Maximum Power ? ... I'm confused .

ugh...I will use several 5 qt jugs of QSGB 5w-20 & PYB 5w-20 leftover from previous vehicle; new vehicle calls for same grade & same chrysler spec; my leftover filters are spec'd for the new vehicle also; now I gotta invest in ramps, wheel chocks, and jack stands for oil changes & getting to the battery thru the wheel well (the one thing I hate about some MOPAR vehicles!)

I don't use Pennzoil but this sure got my attention, pretty rediculous if you ask me 🤣

Originally Posted by walterjay
More time awake in the middle of the night trying to figure out if I used the right stuff in my car.

lol.gif
i'll stick with this.

PZ-Platinum-API-950x1000.jpeg

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
The PDS of Pennzoil Platinum 0W16 is identical to the PDS of Pennzoil Hybrid 0W16.

I know it's a bit of a revival but...

...Start/Stop 5w30 is identical to PP 5w30, and Extended Care is identical to PPHM 5w30.

"Oddly" (if you want to call it that) enough, Extended Care receives the MS-13340 spec while PPHM does not. While Start/Stop shed a few specs that PP holds.

When Pennzoil comes out with their Pennzoil Astatine oils, then you know you really got something...err...maybe Ultra Astatine. It will come in an all black bottle with red stitching.

Originally Posted by Olas
so the same oils now have different labels on them to sell to a wider audience.

Pretty much. It creates some good opportunities to grab some on the cheap later this year when it will probably get blown out on closeouts.

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
When Pennzoil comes out with their Pennzoil Astatine oils, then you know you really got something...err...maybe Ultra Astatine. It will come in an all black bottle with red stitching.

So you can't see all the additive fall-out ðŸ§

Pretty much. It creates some good opportunities to grab some on the cheap later this year when it will probably get blown out on closeouts.

This. With the current Advance Auto sale and $25 rebate, I got a case for $1.82 per quart. Considering my usual PP Euro LX is $10 per quart, I had to stock up.

Originally Posted by RamFan

This. With the current Advance Auto sale and $25 rebate, I got a case for $1.82 per quart. Considering my usual PP Euro LX is $10 per quart, I had to stock up.

The key is patience. LOL Which you already knew. I could see these oils at $2/quart or less w/o rebates in a few months. Then we might be hearing stories of members making money buying oil.
wink.gif

Pennzoil missed the boat....should have done what Driven Oil did and release a GDI oil with a .7-.8 SA oil for GDI engines.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back