Colt Ceases Civilian AR-15 Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
I am sure it was a business rather than a moral decision.

Similar to Walmart's decision

I bought the Colt 11.5 inch upper I always wanted. Was planning on buying it eventually, but this news sped up my purchase.

Colt makes a fine AR15. When I was LEO, I was allowed to purchase any AR15 for duty use. A Colt 6720 pencil barrel carbine is perfection for duty use. You won't find a better patrol rifle anywhere.

I hope this is temporary, but the writing is on the wall and these guns are walking the plank.

Old Colt SP6920 shot a 0.42 group today. Not bad for the old girl - we won't mention the other groups . . . .

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
War is ending, the "ban all guns" party is in chaos. I see low priced guns/ammo and companies going down, since we are not fighting real wars, just wars on Twitter.

Really, Vern? War is ending? Tell that to families in Austin, Englewood, and Garfield Park neighborhoods in Chicago, which already have some of the most restrictive laws in the country. Everything you want to know about violence in Chicago.

Colt is making a business decision, just like several companies in my industry have in the past couple years. They are "right-sizing" their overhead vs. capacity, nothing more or less.

X 10,000
Well said ðŸ‘

I'm not a Colt fanboy but there are some major differences between the civ rifles that really are not that good compared to the LE/Mil models that are a very well built M16.

Colt has been a hot mess for many years and multiple bankruptcies show some of the mess. Pistols? Pistols of long ago sure; their new stuff is horrendous.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I'm not a Colt fanboy but there are some major differences between the civ rifles that really are not that good compared to the LE/Mil models that are a very well built M16.

Could you provide more detail on these differences? I'd like to know more, especially as it relates to model 6920 versus an LE/Gov rifle. Obviously the fire control group is different, but what else are you seeing?

Originally Posted by Oliveoil2
Good for Colt!!!

Four posts since joining.

Two anti-gun.

Did you intend to troll BITOG and flout the rules on religion, sex, and politics, or do you have something worthwhile to add?

On one hand, this doesn't affect me directly since I'm NOT an AR-15 guy, and if I were going to buy one(I've considered it plenty of times just for the sake of having one, as I have enjoyed the ones I've shot, but a bolt gun in 22-250 is more my speed for a hot 22 caliber
smile.gif
) Colt is pretty far down on the list of the ones I'd consider.

With that said, it's hard to tell if this is truly a "not enough capacity" decision or a political statement.

I've owned plenty of Colt revolvers over the years and still have a few. I love old V spring stuff, but Colt as a company has been a hot mess for the last 20 years or better. I don't currently own a snub and need to fix that, and I've at least looked at the new Cobra. Still, though, at the end of the day I'd rather buy another old V-spring Detective Special like the one I had and stupidly sold...the V spring action is a thing of beauty despite it being a bit cantankerous, and I have a hard time paying Colt money for a new coil spring gun(if I'm going to buy that, I'd rather have a less expensive and more comfortable Chief's Special even if it means losing a shot).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back