10K Mile Oil Change - 1.8L TSI Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil early in Dec. 2018 with Castrol Edge 0W-40 and drove 10,000 miles in 9 months. My driving consists of an ordinary mix of short-tripping (between home and gym), commuting (14 miles each way) and highway driving (3 day-long trips). VW recommends a 10K OCI with a VW502 spec oil. I wondered how suitable this interval was for my situation and sent a sample to Blackstone Lab. The results are unremarkable and show that the 10K mile OCI was reasonable - at least for my driving style.

A few observations:
1. The 1.8L engine holds 6.7 quarts of oil, so there is plenty of additive reserve and capacity to hold contaminants in suspension over the full interval. This probably explains why adequate TBN (3.3) remained at the end, and the insoluble contamination was modest (0.8%). However, if my engine held only 4 quarts, I'm not so sure the results would be as good.

2. The viscosity at 100C declined to 10.7 cSt, which is in the middle of the SAE 30 range (9.3-12.5). Per the Castrol spec the viscosity of new Edge 0W-40 oil is 13.2 cSt. Clearly this version of Edge is not as robust to viscosity breakdown as Edge 5W-30, which Castrol claims is "3x stronger than the leading full synthetic against viscosity breakdown". Nevertheless, SAE 30 is certainly acceptable, and xW-30 oils are marketed which meet the VW502 spec. So, for my ordinary driving the partial loss viscosity is not too concerning.

3. I don't have a sense for the significance of the iron level at 27 ppm. As the lab commented, iron increases as the drain interval is extended. Is there another oil out there that produces a lower iron level for the same OCI?

15 JETTA SEL.png

Clearly this version of Edge is not as robust to viscosity breakdown as Edge 5W-30, which Castrol claims is "3x stronger than the leading full synthetic against viscosity breakdown". Nevertheless, SAE 30 is certainly acceptable, and xW-30 oils are marketed which meet the VW502 spec. So, for my ordinary driving the partial loss viscosity is not too concerning.

I agree. You'll find most 0w40's are going to drop into the 30cSt range, especially if there is any fuel dilution. Generally speaking (and I think this oil is no exception), a larger spread has more VII's therefore the percentage viscosity loss will be higher due to more VIIs. The results would likely be the same with M1/Pennzoil 0w40 as well. The oil did have life left in it and there was no sign of any oxidation. I think the wear metals are good.

Originally Posted by buster
Clearly this version of Edge is not as robust to viscosity breakdown as Edge 5W-30, which Castrol claims is "3x stronger than the leading full synthetic against viscosity breakdown". Nevertheless, SAE 30 is certainly acceptable, and xW-30 oils are marketed which meet the VW502 spec. So, for my ordinary driving the partial loss viscosity is not too concerning.

I agree. You'll find most 0w40's are going to drop into the 30cSt range, especially if there is any fuel dilution. Generally speaking (and I think this oil is no exception), a larger spread has more VII's therefore the percentage viscosity loss will be higher due to more VIIs. The results would likely be the same with M1/Pennzoil 0w40 as well. The oil did have life left in it and there was no sign of any oxidation. I think the wear metals are good.

0W-40s are ( usually ) just barely 40 grades, i.e on the very thin end of 40, and usually drop down to a thick 30 even without any fuel dilution happening.

I'd give Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 a try, if you're so inclined. Two runs would be best doing a UOA on the second run to be certain all of the Castrol is out and the results are more accurate.

It looks like the oil did it's job. We have a 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI and run Castrol 0w40 for 5,000 mile intervals. We both live less than a mile from work and use the car for running errands, so it sees a lot of short tripping.

2017 Golf AllTrack...same engine, 1.8 L GDI. I use the same oil (Castrol 0W-40) and change every 5000 miles.

I would strongly recommend a 5000 miles interval if you plan on having the vehicle for more than 150,000 miles.

There was a time when most motor oils could easily handle 10,000 mile OCIs on modern engines. .In fact, I wrote a lot of articles about this just a few years ago.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bp/the-g...-oil-change-works-for-you-134321080.html

A lot of today's engines, especially those that have direct injection or turbo chargers matched to a high compression engine, are incredibly hard on the oil. There are also engine designs that have timing chains which have lubricating issues if an oil is consistently left over a very long period of time.

If you are a highway runner who doesn't rev your vehicle that much, you may be perfectly fine. But even then, if you want to keep this vehicle beyond the 200k mark I would simply invest in a 5,000 mile OCI. If you have a filter designed for longer intervals you could possibly change that every other time you change the oil. But if it were me and I was eliminating another car expenditure until EVs become a viable alternative, I would look at making it a 5,000 mile OCI all the way around.

All the best!

Steve

This topic should bring out the "you better change it more frequently than the owner's manual says to do it or you will be very sorry as your engine will not last long" crowd.

10K mile oil changes with that oil looks good
Spend your time and money on something else besides changing the oil

unless using a real group IV +or V synthetic 5000 or 6 mo is a good interval for your driving habits. fake synthetics as most are with wider spreads REQUIRE more viscosity improvers that break down + todays DI engines are hard on oil. unless you trade often 5000 - 6 month oil changes are cheap insurance. in your area a 10-30 synthetic in summer + 5-30 synthetic in winters may do better. 200 thou on my traded 2001 jetta 1.8 T with about 275 TQ + HP using 10-30 real synthetic redline year around in Pa 10 thou intervals, but only port injected! a good thing in my book until VW brings both to USA as in Europe!

So here we have a very good UOA on the manufacturer recommended interval and immediately three or four people recommending changing the oil twice as often
confused.gif

The 1.8L engine holds 6.7 quarts of oil

I think you mean 5.7. I hope so at least. It's 5.7 quarts or 5.5 Liters (I like 5.5 liters because it's easier to measure if you buy oil in liters).

Good results though. I'm nearing 10000 miles on my OCI with Valvoline MST 5w40. No issues with burning oil or anything.

Originally Posted by BurntMusic

I think you mean 5.7. I hope so at least. It's 5.7 quarts or 5.5 Liters (I like 5.5 liters because it's easier to measure if you buy oil in liters).

Its gotta be 5.7 as the sump for the 2.0 L EA888 is 6.0 quarts.

Shocker. 10K OCI shown to be just fine by UOA.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
So here we have a very good UOA on the manufacturer recommended interval and immediately three or four people recommending changing the oil twice as often
confused.gif

You must have forgotten that this is BITOG- where most everyone knows more than the OEMs and the oil companies.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
confused.gif

You must have forgotten that this is BITOG- where most everyone knows more than the OEMs and the oil companies.

lol.gif

Good results though. I'm nearing 10000 miles on my OCI with Valvoline MST 5w40. No issues with burning oil or anything.

The owner's manual says the capacity is 5.7 quarts, but back in 2015 the VW.com site listed the capacity as 6.7 qts. Five model years later the oil capacity for the 2019 Golf SportWagen 1.8T shown on VW.com is even larger -- 6.97 quarts! I suspect that the larger numbers represent the dry capacity, not the drain and refill capacity. In my experience when the filter is replaced, 6 quarts is needed to bring the oil level to the full mark. So it's plausible that another 0.7 quart remains inside.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SandCastle

The owner's manual says the capacity is 5.7 quarts, but back in 2015 the VW.com site listed the capacity as 6.7 qts. Five model years later the oil capacity for the 2019 Golf SportWagen 1.8T shown on VW.com is even larger -- 6.97 quarts! I suspect that the larger numbers represent the dry capacity, not the drain and refill capacity. In my experience when the filter is replaced, 6 quarts is needed to bring the oil level to the full mark. So it's plausible that another 0.7 quart remains inside.
[Linked Image]

The Jetta 1.8TSI has different engine codes than the MQB 1.8TSI.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

Its gotta be 5.7 as the sump for the 2.0 L EA888 is 6.0 quarts.

My 2016 Passat 1.8t uses 6.7 quarts also.

I've been changing its oil since new and it takes ~6.5 quarts to get up to top line of dipstick after I change filter and vacuum extract the oil through the dipstick tube. The owner's manual says 6.7 and based on my actual experience I'd say it's correct, 6.7 qts.

Also, surprisingly, after 7000 to 8000 miles I extract a little more than 6 quarts. I add no oil between oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back