Difinitive Answer for SCA, Silicates, and Diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, and before I ask, I'll give the disclaimer that i've done a bunch of searching without finding a clear answer.

My truck is a diesel. I just drained my coolant and put in some O'reilly's plain green with HyperLube Super Coolant for Diesels. Pretty sure the coolant is full of Silicates, since it says "protects aluminum". That being said, am I safe to leave this coolant in for a year or so? How long before the gelling or the precipitates start falling out? It was implied on one of these threads that it takes a couple years for problems to show up.

Any good answers? Thanks.

1993 Ford F-250
7.3 idi turbo

Screenshot_20190920-211046_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
I personally use green low silicate coolant, DCA2 (NAPA Cool liquid), and a coolant filter containing DCA-2 to protect my 7.3 IDI. I have read that the gaskets & seals in the older 6.9/7.3 IDI are not compatible with newer OAT coolants, nor DCA4 SCAs. People have used them, but I didn't want to risk it. I tend to be a little suspicious of one-size-fits-all marketing claims for diesel ungines-the old ones were not built to use the newer stuff.

Originally Posted by ErikLeifson
New here, and before I ask, I'll give the disclaimer that i've done a bunch of searching without finding a clear answer.

My truck is a diesel. I just drained my coolant and put in some O'reilly's plain green with HyperLube Super Coolant for Diesels. Pretty sure the coolant is full of Silicates, since it says "protects aluminum". That being said, am I safe to leave this coolant in for a year or so? How long before the gelling or the precipitates start falling out? It was implied on one of these threads that it takes a couple years for problems to show up.

Any good answers? Thanks.

1993 Ford F-250
7.3 idi turbo

On that sheet i don't see Sodium Silicate being mentioned anywhere, looks like a pretty standard conventional Diesel coolant with Nitries, Nitrates, Borate and Benzotriazole.
Protects Aluminum doesn't mean it has Silicates, although Silicates are well known to be excellent at protecting Alu.

When you look at a product like Zerex green conventional fluid, they state the specifications as meeting ASTM D4985 - low silicate coolant suitable for use in heavy duty diesel engines with a compatible SCA.

You go to the O'Reilly site and their conventional green coolant specs. says it's a universal coolant that contains OAT inhibitors. If it is really a conventional IAT coolant, then their site is incorrect. But, it does give me pause to use their product if they cannot get the description correct.

Sorry, that data sheet is for the coolant additive. It has cavitation protection. The green stuff from oreilly's says on the label "protects aluminum from corrosion" (palm slaps forehead). Granted, I bought the jugs about a year ago without giving it much thought. But I can't seem to figure out if it will react badly with my non low-silicate green coolant. It claims it will work with "all diesel coolants". I keep reading about precipitates and gels forming that clog things up, but do those things only occur after a couple years? I plan on just draining the thing every year or so.

Hyper Lube stuff: https://www.hyperlube.com/product/diesel-super-coolant/

Last edited:
*Hand slaps forehead again...* Gosh, I feel like an idiot...

Sorry for the trouble. I just found the low silicate statement on the bottle... In my defense, it was in fine print where I never expected it to be. Here are some pictures. So you can probably buy green coolant from o'reilly auto parts with confidence. I bet it's the same stuff as Napa. At least we know one more supplier of the good stuff now! I guess I have nothing to worry about. What a relief. Thanks for the help!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back