Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the HTHS of PP 10w30 SN+? My local Meijer has been had it on clearance for a while @ $6.42 per 5 qt jug. Needless to say I have 6 jugs on hand.

I'm just curious what the HTHS of the oil is. It's irrelevant for my applications, however I would like to know. Pennzoil PDS doesn't list HTHS ratings. I know it's above 2.9cp and likely below 3.4cp

PP 10w30 PDS

Last edited:
Awesome deal .
smile.gif

My meijer had the same deal. I bought all they had, around 17 jugs. My cars call for 5-30 but close enough for a dollar something a quart.

Originally Posted by D1dad
My meijer had the same deal. I bought all they had, around 17 jugs. My cars call for 5-30 but close enough for a dollar something a quart.

I'm in the same boat. Going to run it in my 5.3L

I'm hoping to find out the HTHS of the oil just because I'm curious. If I had to guess I'd say 3.1

Originally Posted by donnyj08
I'm hoping to find out the HTHS of the oil just because I'm curious. If I had to guess I'd say 3.1

I'll go out on a limb, and propose 3.2.
grin.gif

manufacturers are showing less specs as a 10-30 synthetic will make an XXw20 look as bad as it really is!! unless in real cold a 10-30 synthetic is a better choice over 5-30 because most are fake group III base oils + 10-30 needs LESS viscosity index improvers.

just changed to motul 8100 eco lite 5w30,hths of3.3.
its also sn,gf5 and d1g2.
this company makes some tough oils and i can get the30%cheaper then castrol,valvoline ex so tought why not.

My guess is 2.9
most likely not more than 3.1

$6.xx for 5qt. You should buy all. It's about 4x that price in our area! That's what I recall paying for the PP 5Wx30 $22-$24. I recall one time it was $27.xx or $26.xx and almost same price as M1 EP so I bought M1 that time.

Is the store not going to carry oil anymore? It's a grocery store. No?

Originally Posted by OilUzer
My guess is 2.9

$6.xx for 5qt. You should buy all. It's about 4x that price in our area! That's what I recall paying for the PP 5Wx30 $22-$24. I recall one time it was $27.xx or $26.xx and almost same price as M1 EP so I bought M1 that time.

They carry a very large selection of Valvoline including hard to find euro oils as well as a full line of Mobil products. The QS and Pennzoil shelves have been being thinned out due to lower sales I assume considering very minimal shelf space.

Meijer is basically identical to Walmart without the Ghetto atmosphere.

Last edited:
My guess is 2.9

They carry a very large selection of Valvoline including hard to find euro oils as well as a full line of Mobil products. The QS and Pennzoil shelves have been being thinned out due to lower sales I assume considering very minimal shelf space.

The avg home price in my zip code is probably around $400k and we have a Walmart here, are we what you would call "ghetto"?.. what's the cutoff point for you?🤔

Pretty ignorant statement IMO...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
My guess is 2.9

The avg home price in my zip code is probably around $400k and we have a Walmart here, are we what you would call "ghetto"?.. what's the cutoff point for you?🤔

Pretty ignorant statement IMO...

Easy man, don't get so offensive. I'm a Walmart shopper, but yes Meijer stores are cleaner and much better kept than "most" Walmart's. Not sure why you are making this into an attack on you? I never said "ghetto people" or "ghetto neighborhood". I said Ghetto atmosphere as in stained floors, store racks in shambles, generally unhelpful employees etc,

Perhaps I should have said Meijer is like Walmart with better kept and maintained stores.

There is a Walmart in almost every zip code regardless of average home price.

Last edited:

Easy man, don't get so offensive. I'm a Walmart shopper, but yes Meijer stores are cleaner and much better kept than "most" Walmart's. Not sure why you are making this into an attack on you? I never said "ghetto people" or "ghetto neighborhood". I said Ghetto atmosphere as in stained floors, store racks in shambles, generally unhelpful employees etc,

Perhaps I should have said Meijer is like Walmart with better kept and maintained stores.

I get it.. no intention on your part. Just poor choice of words. The Walmart in my area is actually well maintained. I don't like going in only because I hate lines and stupid people that won't get out of the way but by in large I don't have a problem with the store itself. Ironically the auto dept seems to consistently be the worse of any deot.. They rarely have more than one person writing up services and ringing up orders. Ugh... hence why I mostly do ship to home/store.

In my area we have Freddy's which is a Walmart like store. And yes, it's well maintained inside and probably you could say "nicer" but not as cheap in prices (and not quite the selection) compared to Wally's. Wally's seems to take the minimalist approach to store design and layout.

Last edited:

I get it.. no intention on your part. Just poor choice of words. The Walmart in my area is actually well maintained. I don't like going in only because I hate lines and stupid people that won't get out of the way but by in large I don't have a problem with the store itself. Ironically the auto dept seems to consistently be the worse of any deot.. They rarely have more than one person writing up services and ringing up orders. Ugh... hence why I mostly do ship to home/store.

In my area we have Freddy's which is a Walmart like store. And yes, it's well maintained inside and probably you could say "nicer" but not as cheap in prices (and not quite the selection) compared to Wally's. Wally's seems to take the minimalist approach to store design and layout.

Similarly there is a Walmart about 2 miles from the Meijer I frequent that is well maintained. However, the other Walmart's near me (within 10miles) are horribly kept and the aisles are always in disarray.

When I compare the shopping experience between the Meijer stores and Walmart's, the experience is better at Meijer. Similar to your Freddy's stores, prices are a tad higher at Meijer vs Walmart. Rollback oil at Walmart is usually the best price.

Are your Freddy's locations the Fred Meyer supercenters owned by the Kroger Co?

Last edited:

Similarly there is a Walmart about 2 miles from the Meijer I frequent that is well maintained. However, the other Walmart's near me (within 10miles) are horribly kept and the aisles are always in disarray.

When I compare the shopping experience between the Meijer stores and Walmart's, the experience is better at Meijer. Similar to your Freddy's stores, prices are a tad higher at Meijer vs Walmart. Rollback oil at Walmart is usually the best price.

Yeah, we just call em Freddy's for short (I think they're Krogers in the south, right?). A nice perk of shopping at Freddy's is the help...in just my humble opinion, they seem to be friendlier and more helpful in general. I rarely have a "bad" customer experience there - seriously. Whatever they're doing it's working. Maybe it has something to do with the wages and benefits or it could be a workplace culture thing or better hiring process. dunno.

I'm sure the spartan approach Wally's takes to it's store layout and CS is by product of their prices/margins. Kmart was this way.

Last edited:

Same here, Meijer is a mile or 2 down the road, but the atmosphere is entirely different. I had to go to Walmart Friday night for oil... next time I'll just ship it or buy through Amazon. Meijer has better cookies and produce though IMO.

He's not wrong in his description. My local Walmart typically has 4 people watching the self checkout while they have 1 lane open. Meijer isn't Macy's by any means, but their products are far superior, under armor, adidas and so on. Meijer also offers M perks which is online coupons and you earn cash back. Walmart is typically less on common items but meijer offers unbelievable deal at times. Sadly there's no auto center so if you wanna get an oil change that may or may not involve an oil filter torqued to 100 ft lbs, you'll have to go to Walmart.

If you're going to Wally's looking for Nike, you're gonna be disappointed - that's just not their market. But then again not everybody needs a Nike or UnderArmor, so it is what it is. Freddy's also has a loyalty and carries more name brands than Wally's, like Nike or Adidas and UnderArmor...not much of an auto dept though, maybe 2 aisles and no service dept or tires blah blah blah.

Yeah, we just call em Freddy's for short (I think they're Krogers in the south, right?). A nice perk of shopping at Freddy's is the help...in just my humble opinion, they seem to be friendlier and more helpful in general. I rarely have a "bad" customer experience there - seriously. Whatever they're doing it's working. Maybe it has something to do with the wages and benefits or it could be a workplace culture thing or better hiring process. dunno.

I'm sure the spartan approach Wally's takes to it's store layout and CS is by product of their prices/margins. Kmart was this way.

The Kroger Company is actually based in Cincinnati, OH. I believe they are the largest Grocer in the U.S. Kroger owns 2800 Grocery and "super-grocers" In 35 states. The largest brands are Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith's, King Soopers, City Market, Fry's, QFC, Fred Meyer, and Harris Teeter.

We have "Fred Meyer" Jewlers inside super Kroger stores here so the name was familiar to me.

Kroger Employees are Union and their wages are pretty high for a Grocery/Supercenter chain. Their typical bag boy or cashier is paid quite a bit more than their Walmart counterparts. Kroger stock reflects the high labor costs.

Kroger is very well ran. Most thought Walmart would kill Kroger 20 years ago, but they innovated and built supercenters, focused on customers satisfaction and produce quality, added fuel centers and have thrived dispite higher prices providing the experience you described above.

Many worried when Amazon bought Whole Foods, but Kroger was already winning that war. If they can beat Walmart at the Grocery Game, Whole Foods has their work cut out to steal markets share.

Kroger is one of the companies Jim Collins talks about in the book "Good to Great".

Last edited:
Back on topic lol. I've ran this stuff for several oil changes and will use it in my new to me 08 impala 3.9 and hope it will work even though the car calls for 5-30. My daughters 07 Volvo was totaled last week when she was smashed at 50mph from behind, she walked away thank god, called for 5-30 Dino or 10-30 synthetic for hot and cold extremes which I thought was weird. To single out 10-30 synthetic for cold goes against all that we talk about here but I'm sure the engineers at Volvo thought it through to come to that conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back