Mortality stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it a fascinating subject. Especially as I age and issues crop up. There are other charts and interactive lists that may be of interest.

"Many states and municipalities have filed lawsuits against opioid drug makers that they blame for a national addiction crisis."

This is becoming the new norm. People are killing themselves left and right because they are misusing the product. And right away we have to blame the manufacturer. It's happening with firearms. Now it's with pain killers. It's completely insane. Oxycodone has existed since 1916. It was first introduced to America in 1939. Percodan came on the market in 1950.

Most all of these opiate pain killers have all been around in one form or another for close to a century. Now, all of a sudden, we have a big problem with people dropping dead to the tune of over 40,000 a year because they either can't, or won't follow the instructions that are printed on the bottle of every one of them that is prescribed.

What has changed? Obviously not the medication. So it's the attitude and behavior of the consumer who is taking it. When I had major knee, inner ear, as well as 2 hernia surgeries, I was prescribed narcotic pain killers for all of them. I followed the directions precisely. I never had a single issue. I quit taking them after the pain subsided enough to where I could go without them. With my first major knee surgery back in 1972, that was for over 4 months because I had complications.

It didn't matter because I never became addicted. Again, I followed the directions on the prescription bottle. "Every 4 hours, with no more than 4 pills in a 24 hour period", does not mean take 15 a day, and you'll get a great buzz on. This is what is happening.

Doctors are now forced to change how they prescribe this medication. Even to elderly patients who have never had an issue with it. And who many have been on for months. Even years on end because they live in constant pain. They now have to suffer, or else have to go through some B.S. "Pain Management" class, before their doctor can even write a refillable prescription for them.

Even then they have strict limitations they did not have to deal with before. As a result they now have to live in pain, when before they did not. They use the drugs properly, and without issues. But are now forced to suffer because others do not.

None of this nonsense is going to change anything. Any more than including these stupid "gun locks" will prevent firearm accidents. The easy way out never solves the problem. All of this falls under the, "Well, we have to do something!" pretext. Much like gun control, "Something" is rarely if ever the right thing.

Spot on billt460. These drugs have their place for certain patients. The time release tablets are a godsend to cancer patients and others with crippling pain.

Then of course there is the black market of these opioids that is pervasive. In many cases you have no idea what you are getting or taking. Lead, fentanyl, and other chemicals have all been detected.

I say the above having been in the pharmacy field for many years.

Unfortunately some terrible doctors prescribe pain meds as if they are harmless candy.

DEA had to shut down multiple ‘Pill Mills' throughout the nation due to the greed of many....

Plenty of people abuse drugs but not all that do are responsible for it.

Just like not everyone who shoots and kills someone is responsible for it.

If some old grandpa leaves his gun(s) out and his 4 year old granddaughter finds it and shoots her brother... .

My 6'2" younger sister was injured playing college basketball at an NCAA division 1 school. She was fed pain pills by the team DR.
If you think that didn't happen in sports, your a fool.

I don't want more laws. We have laws on the book for these things already.

If billt460 lets a grandkid find one of his guns and kills someone with it, billt460 should spend time in prison.

If my younger sister starts using again and steals to support her addiction, she needs jail time.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Unfortunately some terrible doctors prescribe pain meds as if they are harmless can.

My father found that opiates had zero effect on his pain level but made him sick.

My grandmother would actually see spiders and go nuts after a small dose and was found to have an allergy and actually was killed by the care facility when they gave her another patients opiates.

The problem here is that people who have lifelong chronic pain don't have good options and optiates (when they even work) become ineffective when prescribed for anything other than a short duration.

Many doctors prescribe them to shut up people with pain instead of having the man up alternative pain management speech with the patient

Originally Posted by skyactiv
If billt460 lets a grandkid find one of his guns and kills someone with it, billt460 should spend time in prison.

billt460 doesn't have any grandkids.

I am 66 years old . I know I have use up probably 7 of my 9 lives . My motor cycle Tom foolery and a neighbor owned a Robinson R44 [R$$?] . and I went on some wild rides that I guess were safe but then I though my M/C riding and drag boat usage was safe. I do realize something will kill me. I hope it will be quick and painless but the numbers seem to be the opposite. There are so many things I think about doing and I know they are dangerous but I do them any way.

We all have an expiration date. Choices have consequences! Thanks for posting Courierdriver.

Some people do not understand addiction just because they are not addicts.
No offense, but that is a completely self centered opinion, based in ignorance certainly not in fact.
To this day, many people tell me I could have "just 1 beer".
They are not bad people; they just do not understand my disease.

No offense, but that is a completely self centered opinion, based in ignorance certainly not in fact.
[/quote]
I have several alky / druggie friends and there is the desire. Self control is the cause and the cure for the so called disease. You found out the problem and you know the cure " To this day, many people tell me I could have "just 1 beer"

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Some people do not understand addiction just because they are not addicts.

All of us (there are exceptions) have some addiction. Like Bitog for example!

On a serious note: There are usually underlying issues that cause addiction. We live in a very complex/stressful world.

"Moderation is key."

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-mortality-risk

Just more proof that it pays not to do any sort of dope, drugs or booze, and to take care of yourself both mentally and physically.

Calling addiction a disease is one of the reasons that personal responsibility has been eroded and many people don't have a concept of personal blame for bad choices. It de-stigmatizes addiction and absolves the individual of their responsibility in becoming an addict. Addiction is self-acquired and is not transmissible, contagious, autoimmune, hereditary, or degenerative. Treatment consists of nothing more than stopping a behavior.

Just like the comedian Flip Wilson used to say-"The devil made me do it", calling addiction a disease shifts the blame from where it belongs-the addict.

In alcoholism or drug addiction there is no moderation.
Im my case there is no choice; no control. Otherwise I could have "just 1 beer".
Sobriety is a gift.

If you disagree, I suggest you talk to a Doctor. We are talking about a disease.

Anyone, if they really want to can go cold turkey on just about anything other than air, water or food. Unpleasant things may happen while the process get the body used to the absence of the addicting substance, but eventually that goes away.

One exception to this rule that I know of is with someone who is very, very serverly & badly addicted to alcohol (i.e. the shakes start within an hour or three of the last series of the few drinks that these folks need to "get right"). Cold turkey in this circumstance can be deadly, it needs to be done with a doctor.

If there are other substances that can be deadly for someone kicking a cold turkey, I'd be interested in hearing of them. Otherwise, it just takes someone that really wants to do it and be done with the addiction.

My 6'2" younger sister was injured playing college basketball at an NCAA division 1 school. She was fed pain pills by the team DR.

Idiot reckless doctors like that need to be in jail.

If you disagree, I suggest you talk to a Doctor. We are talking about a disease.

I would fire a doctor who thought addiction was a disease.

I would suggest you read "The Biology of Desire: Why Addiction Is Not a Disease" by Dr. Marc Lewis (a neuroscientist and former drug addict).

Dr Gene Heyman, a Harvard psychologist also wrote a good book-"Addiction: A Disorder of Choice".

CMAJ published a paper in 2012 by Tim Holden that also clearly showed that addiction is not a disease. The conclusion was that at best, addiction is a maladaptive response to an underlying condition, such as a nonspecific inability to cope with daily life and stress.

Both dispel the disease nonsense by using reasoned, intelligent arguments and facts.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Idiot reckless doctors like that need to be in jail.

The main selling point for the opioids was that they were not addictive. But now we know that the manufacturers did not have the scientific facts behind that claim.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

I would fire a doctor who thought addiction was a disease.

I would suggest you read "The Biology of Desire: Why Addiction Is Not a Disease" by Dr. Marc Lewis (a neuroscientist and former drug addict).

Dr Gene Heyman, a Harvard psychologist also wrote a good book-"Addiction: A Disorder of Choice".

CMAJ published a paper in 2012 by Tim Holden that also clearly showed that addiction is not a disease. The conclusion was that at best, addiction is a maladaptive response to an underlying condition, such as a nonspecific inability to cope with daily life and stress.

Both dispel the disease nonsense by using reasoned, intelligent arguments and facts.

Addiction is a disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back