2019 Mazda3 Hatchback AWD Premium Second Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you can unplug or deactivate the cylinder deactivation that would be great.....?

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by PimTac
What are you referring to that tells you the cylinder deactivation has kicked in? As far as I know there is nothing that tells the driver this.

On the Mazda3 it was in the fuel monitor screen. I don't know if 2018's have this. I was test driving 2019's.

Is this the screen that gives you a instant mpg reading via a gauge readout in the info screen?

If so, there is a explanation. I have that same app in my info screen. It will be reading something like 30mpg or so and suddenly go to 40mpg. That is the engine going into a Miller type cycle. This is what was explained to me. You will see this once you get up to speed and are set for a while.

What are you referring to that tells you the cylinder deactivation has kicked in? As far as I know there is nothing that tells the driver this.

On the Mazda3 it was in the fuel monitor screen. I don't know if 2018's have this. I was test driving 2019's.

Is this the screen that gives you a instant mpg reading via a gauge readout in the info screen?

If so, there is a explanation. I have that same app in my info screen. It will be reading something like 30mpg or so and suddenly go to 40mpg. That is the engine going into a Miller type cycle. This is what was explained to me. You will see this once you get up to speed and are set for a while.

That's what I recall on the Mazda6 but on the Mazda3, there was an image with 4 circles with either just 2 or all 4 lit up. I didn't drive the CX5. From what I understand, each model and trim-level has a slightly different display format.

@PimTac: Can you feel when your engine switches mode?

@buster: As far as I know, it cannot be user-disabled.

Honestly, if I were in the market for a car now, that would not be a deal-breaker for me. The vehicles were in test markets for a couple years before going mainstream. I know several people with 2018 CX5's and they really like them. The dealers could not keep them in stock and same is true for the 2019. They've sold 300,000+ units with cylinder deactivation in North America. The actual number of incidents is (from what I understand) basically insignificant. Yes, there's a recall but, it's being fixed with a software update. There are units out there racking-up a lot of miles and if a disaster was going to happen, we'd know by now.

I feel or sense nothing. Only that visual indication.

The ring thing I'm not familiar with.

I do recall a thread here when Mazda first came out with this. They are one of the first to deactivate two cylinders on a four cylinder engine. Most others just cancel out one. Other automakers have adopted the two cylinder model now.

That's what I recall on the Mazda6 but on the Mazda3, there was an image with 4 circles with either just 2 or all 4 lit up. I didn't drive the CX5. From what I understand, each model and trim-level has a slightly different display format.

@PimTac: Can you feel when your engine switches mode?

@buster: As far as I know, it cannot be user-disabled.

Honestly, if I were in the market for a car now, that would not be a deal-breaker for me. The vehicles were in test markets for a couple years before going mainstream. I know several people with 2018 CX5's and they really like them. The dealers could not keep them in stock and same is true for the 2019. They've sold 300,000+ units with cylinder deactivation in North America. The actual number of incidents is (from what I understand) basically insignificant. Yes, there's a recall but, it's being fixed with a software update. There are units out there racking-up a lot of miles and if a disaster was going to happen, we'd know by now.

Good point. I like the CX5 and CX3. I'd prefer it to not have the CD though if possible. Mazda quality has been very good the last several years IMO. Our 3's never gave me any problems.

I wonder if Mazda tweaked the software settings along the way? As I recall the initial scuttlebutt was that the CD didn't kick in until one was at a steady cruising speed, 35mph for example. Now I have read comments of stumbling at lower speeds. The responsiveness is supposed to be lightning quick and seamless to the driver. As with other Mazda systems the inputs are many and take in things we don't think of.

I wonder if Mazda tweaked the software settings along the way? As I recall the initial scuttlebutt was that the CD didn't kick in until one was at a steady cruising speed, 35mph for example. Now I have read comments of stumbling at lower speeds. The responsiveness is supposed to be lightning quick and seamless to the driver. As with other Mazda systems the inputs are many and take in things we don't think of.

The initial reports were that CD only kicked-in between 27 and 55 mph (44 and 88 kph) during steady-state (non-accelerating) driving conditions. Once a passenger car gets rolling, it only takes about 15-30 HP to keep it rolling at those speeds. That's a trivial task for these engines. CD won't kick-in while the trans is in sport mode. Also, the engine must be at operating temperature. I don't know if they've modified that or not. I'm sure you're aware that sport mode really pulls-down the fuel economy. I only use sport mode when merging into fast traffic etc.

When I test drove the cars, it kicked in once while on a short strip of highway. Didn't feel a thing. The second test drive, I was on a mile-long strip of bumpy road adjacent to an old cemetery. Could not feel any transitions there either.

Last edited:
That jives with what I have heard. Yes the sports mode does affect the fuel economy. I only use it on some long hills I encounter. It really helps especially when slower traffic is in front.

Yep, my work here is done. It's not like the car stops faster with a collision avoidance system than it can if I slammed on the brakes.

If a car is hit from behind, odds are, the driver behind that rear ended the leading car is at fault for failing to keep sufficient distance to stop should the car in front stop suddenly.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
^^^^

I agree no need for added technologies that cause more problems. The collision avoidance braking system caused this new Mazda 3 owner to get hit in the rear.

A few reports on the internet of the automatic braking system not working correctly. Unfortunately owners of the new Mazda 3 can NOT turn this crap system off.
frown.gif

The problem is not the system but the person behind you following too close or not paying attention.

I tried to watch. I didn't see anything other than a car in a garage. No footage of what happened so we could judge for ourselves.

I did hear someone droning on. Maybe there is a transcript I could look at to see if there was anything more than a subjective view. Perhaps some engineering analysis and proof that the system could cause a driving following at a safe distance to fail to stop in time should this car stop suddenly, for whatever reason that is attributable solely to the smart braking system.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Did you watch the video ?

Mazda 3 owners reporting problems with their radar cruise control. Maybe the sensor is tied into the 'smart' braking system...?

I guess they have major HVAC issue, bad evaporators and fans, coworker dumped his, fan took a crap and dealer wanted 1K to take dash apart to install new fan, the rest of the car was falling apart too and he was tired of dumping money into it, spent about a grand having the compressor replaced the prior summer, black 2013 Mazda 3.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by maxdustington
My buddy also has a 2010, oil sprayed every year. Weird rust spots on the hatch from bad prep at the factory I think. I'm not an automotive engineer or chemist though. It doesn't have the typical rustbelt corrosion around the wheels. Driven a lot on the highway for the first 150k kms then mostly city since, so it didn't get a true city commuter salt thrash as we both live in Toronto.

EDIT: Jury is still out on 2014+ corrosion resistance for another five years or so. They have been known rust buckets since the 90s and the fact that they are just e-coating them 2014+ is ridiculous.

I'm glad that Mazda addressed that problem; I've always liked Mazda's.

I don't see that as Mazda addressed anything: just that if you pay a rust tax of $150-200 every year to get your car undercoated, the annual treatments will keep just about anything from rusting — even a Mazda.

My take on Mazda3 AWD is it is directly competing with Subaru Impreza hatchback but has 4 MPG less than the Subaru across the board city/highway/combined; less driver and passenger headroom shoulder room legroom, less cargo space than the Impreza. Not nearly as nice looking as the new Impreza. Impreza has the best resale value of any compact on the market.

Then factor in why people buy AWD in the first place. Snow needs AWD, snow means salt, salt means rust, and Mazda are perceived to be rustbuckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back