Deep Sumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken an interest in Ural motorcycles and have noticed that they offer a deep sump for the oil which of course increases the capacity. But, they do not extend the oil pick up lower, so I wonder how effective it would be. Any insight on this will be appreciated.

Thank,
Richard

Behold a Ural. The deep sump with a high pump inlet might allow metal particles to settle out until it's time to drain it.

E6D7D4B7-CA6C-4A93-902B-7B5BB3A6FAD1.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking rig. I never thought about it from that perspective, but that does make sense. I would like to be able to run in warmer weather and higher speeds without worry about the engine. That's what attracted me to it.

From what I've read about Ural's, when pushed hard especially at highway speeds , they tend to get hot enough to be considered "Overheated"., They are 750cc air-cooled motors, and from the factory do not come with an oil cooler. But I saw where they can be fitted with one as a aftermarket item. They claim they can be run on the highway at between 65 and 75 mph, but most u tube posters say they wouldn't do those speeds for extended periods. I went to a dealer 2 weeks ago to try one out for size. I would have to change a few things before I hit the road on one. If you have never rode a sidecar rig before, they can be a bit unsettling, as the handle way different then a 2 wheeled motorcycle.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back