Angry at Walmart service center

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father wanted to get his oil changed today and I didn't feel like doing it, so he went to the dreaded Walmart to get it changed. The horror of finding the using a vacuum tube to suck the oil out and not use the drain plug. It took them two hours to do the job and they didn't even do it right. The oil is still dirty too, so they certainly didn't get it all out. I'm so mad and this isn't even my car. I've promised to never let him go there again. They said to me that it was corporate policy to not take the drain plugs out. That's not changing oil right at all. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and is there any recourse since they weren't up front about it?

I figure the oil filter is okay, but I'm pulling the drain plug and changing the oil the right way soon. I'm thinking 2k on this nasty used oil frankenbrew and then on 5k changes.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
My father wanted to get his oil changed today and I didn't feel like doing it, so he went to the dreaded Walmart to get it changed. The horror of finding the using a vacuum tube to suck the oil out and not use the drain plug. It took them two hours to do the job and they didn't even do it right. The oil is still dirty too, so they certainly didn't get it all out. I'm so mad and this isn't even my car. I've promised to never let him go there again. They said to me that it was corporate policy to not take the drain plugs out. That's not changing oil right at all. Has anyone else had this happen to them, and is there any recourse since they weren't up front about it?

I work for Walmart.
1. Its not corporate policy.
2. A lot of stores have gone to the vacuum tube so they do not screw up drain plugs.
3. On a lot of cars you can actually get more out using the vacuum tube, on others you can't get any out. What Make/Model we talking here?
4. Its not corporate policy, but they can choose to do it how ever they like.
5. You paid them to change your oil. They took the old oil out, and replaced it with new oil. They rendered the service you paid for. It could be argued that they didn't correctly though.
6. Call them tomorrow and ask to speak with the ACCM or Automotive Care Center Manger Salaried. Explain that the oil is still dirty looking after changing it. Either he should do it again, or refund you.
7. Its not corporate policy. My store doesn't do it.
8. Its not corporate policy.

Being polite to the manager is going to help you. Nothing worse than a guy acting like he knows better yet he brings his car to Walmart.

Not as good as draining the oil via drain plug but better than nothing.

Its very common on boat engines to suck the oil out of the dipstick. No real way to get to the drain plug in many engines. It leaves maybe 1/2 cup of old oil.

I might not go there again but I do not think its a big deal. Run a normal oil change.

Drain the oil now, refill with your choice and use the new filter for your preferred OCI. 5 quarts of oil isn't worth the stress you're putting yourself through. If you don't you'll be mad until dad puts 2k on his car. Put it behind you.

OP, are you angry with yourself or Wallyworld?

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I work for Walmart....... Nothing worse than a guy acting like he knows better yet he brings his car to Walmart.

Huh?
33.gif

It's a 07 Acadia. And that is not how you change the oil on a car. Lawnmower sure, car heck no. I was completely cordial with the technician and the cashier. I just can't believe how dirty the oil is after a change. And I suspect the method is the reason. The only thing I use vacuum pumps on are transmissions without drain plugs. Which makes the job way less messy. Just seems wrong the way they did it.

It's a 07 Acadia. And that is not how you change the oil on a car. Lawnmower sure, car heck no. I was completely cordial with the technician and the cashier. I just can't believe how dirty the oil is after a change. And I suspect the method is the reason. The only thing I use vacuum pumps on are transmissions without drain plugs. Which makes the job way less messy. Just seems wrong the way they did it.

The Acadia with ecotec is a good one, not sure about the V6. Contact the ACCM tomorrow. Explain your concerns, and the color of the oil. He should make it right. Did they change the filter? Probably impossible to tell if you have the ecotec.

Although I have changed oil in some cars, and they are pitch black after running them after 20 sec. but they are usually extremely neglected.

The Mityvac company as well as many exotic car owners would disagree with you. A vacuum pump is still a legitimate way to change the oil on a vehicle.

Would you prefer if WM had drained the oil via the drain plug, but then cross-threaded the drain plug upon reinstall?

The Acadia with ecotec is a good one, not sure about the V6. Contact the ACCM tomorrow. Explain your concerns, and the color of the oil. He should make it right. Did they change the filter? Probably impossible to tell if you have the ecotec.

Although I have changed oil in some cars, and they are pitch black after running them after 20 sec. but they are usually extremely neglected.

It's the V6. And I can tell the oil filter was changed I mark the old one with the date it was changed last.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I work for Walmart....... Nothing worse than a guy acting like he knows better yet he brings his car to Walmart.

Huh?
33.gif

I'm just associating past interactions with customers, that end up getting very hostile in tone, tell me they could do the oil change in 10 minutes, yet they bring their cars to Walmart. Some people live to complain. Although OP seems to have a valid reason with the dirty oil. Just because OP thinks its wrong to suck oil out, doesnt make it wrong. They can certainly do it wrong, and they probably did. I know I have, but I also have more than 3 brain cells so I can correct my mistake.
Did you know even Mercedes has factory guides on how to do it?

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Huh?
33.gif

I'm just associating past interactions with customers, that end up getting very hostile in tone, tell me they could do the oil change in 10 minutes, yet they bring their cars to Walmart. Some people live to complain. Although OP seems to have a valid reason with the dirty oil. Just because OP thinks its wrong to suck oil out, doesnt make it wrong. They can certainly do it wrong, and they probably did. I know I have, but I also have more than 3 brain cells so I can correct my mistake.
Did you know even Mercedes has factory guides on how to do it?

Good post man...

Yeah some people live to complain... Spot on with that.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

The Mityvac company as well as many exotic car owners would disagree with you. A vacuum pump is still a legitimate way to change the oil on a vehicle.

Exactly!

Actually if you had a Mercedes, that's how the dealers do it. All the time. Others have checked, they vacuumed the oil from the top and then opened the drain plug. Nothing really came out. Probably depends on the car and the skill level of the one doing the job, maybe they didn't put it in far enough or it's not the kind of car that it works on. They keep trying to tell me to get one, but with 10k oil changes, I only do it once a year and don't feel like spending $100+ for the vacuum.

Buy your own extractor and do it for your pops next time..or tell him waiting a few extra days until you have the free time isn't going to grenade his engine. But using an extractor is better than having someone of unknown experience touch the drain plug IMO. (not every lube tech's a moron who cross threads but they're out there)

Fwiw, sounds like that Wally's needs a higher quality pump.

MB and BMW use the vaccum method. when i had the BMW i sucked it out of the dipstick tube. since the filter was on the top it was the easiest thing to change the oil. nothing got dirty other than my hands.

i once poured the old oil i got out from the BMW and measured it. the thing holds 7 qts and i think i got 6.8 . good enough for me

My parents have a Traverse (nearly the same vehicle as an Acadia). Even changing the oil via the plug, it is still pretty dark after running it. It gets oil changes about every 6k or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back