2000 Honda CR-V Ex transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new Honda owner and want to change the transmission fluid on my automatic transmission. The manual calls for oem Honda fluid but it is not in any parts store or dealership nearby. Is it important to use Honda oem fluid, if not what is an alternative?

I would only use Honda fluid. You must really live out in the sticks if there are no Honda Dealerships around
smile.gif

You can get it on Amazon or Ebay by the case for decent money. There are also plenty of people that use Valvoline Maxlife with good results, or one of the other DW1 'replacements' (Idemitsu/Aisin/Etc)

I have used Honda fluid, Maxlife, Castrol and Idemitsu Honda spec.
All good. Idemitsu is my favorite.

If it has never bee done, do a few spill and fills.
Your CR-V will thank you. You will feel the difference; it will be smoother and pull better.

Good luck.

If I am only changing the fluid with Valvoline maxlife will it be ok to do 1 or 2 changes? The reason I am asking is because I assume the fluid in the transmission is oem honda fluid, but it is not to dirty. I am just changing the fluid for preventive maintenance.

each time you change it you are getting half the fluid out, so its basically youre call as to how much is enough. They should mix fine.
Also, im not sure about the 2000 but on 2002 changing that rear diff fluid was almost more important. A few years ago that was a honda-only fluid

The 'official' Honda method is 3x drain/fill with a short drive in between. If you're sure its never been done, it would be a good idea to get as much of the old out as possible. I would at least do it 2x and then perhaps another time at the next oil change.

In my CRV, I've used Castrol MultiVehicle, Mobil1 and Mag1 Fully Synthetic ATF, with good results. Use the same fluid for the rear differential if yours has the Realtime AllWheel Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back