Pennzoil Launches Four New Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by walterjay
More time awake in the middle of the night trying to figure out if I used the right stuff in my car.

I'm going to argue that this is brilliant marketing! Think about a person of average abilities - at least, in the realm of auto maintenance - and note that half the population is on the low side of that. These are the folks that drive a hybrid, want better fuel economy, do a lot of start/stop driving, or just want their grocery getter to get there a little faster (just like everyone else does). These new oils just eliminate the decision process for the folks who dont want to overthink it!.

Uh, no!

"Average abilities........in the realm of auto maintenance.........and half the population is on the low side of that."

Most of the people you just referenced (about 85% is my guess) simply go to a dealership or a Quiki-lube and follow whatever "recommendation" is given to them by the $11 an hour employee.

Most of those same people could not remotely tell you about synthetic oils, the leading major brands, GF-5 versus GF-6, API ratings, etc.

Why?

Because they don't care. You should not expect the majority, to any degree, to educate themselves as to oil and related maintenance choices.

I like SOPUS oils but they have gone overboard with the marketing. Did you read that Gina Fishback?

You have provided way too many choices for a a huge segment of drivers who simply don't give motor oil a second thought once they leave the dealership or Iffy-Lube.

Get focused!

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Is it April 1st?

That was exactly might thought when I saw the OP.
I can almost understand the 'HYBRID' formula because, to my knowledge, nobody else has it yet (a dedicated HYBRID oil)….that would be a good strategy for SOPUS....but the other 3 are a joke....

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by fdcg27
So SOPUS finally offers an ILSAC 0W-30 grade oil?
Took 'em long enough.

Sort of. It's only 9.6 cSt @ 100

According to the pdf it is also UNBEATBALE
shocked2.gif

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...07565e3786f72a927/Max_Power_0W30_TDS.pdf

That's embarrassing. Someone forgot to proofread before publishing. That's our state of education.

Unbeat-BALE! Haha! That's AWESOME!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
mix them all together to get the Ultimate OIL!!!!

Don't give Project Farm any ideas!

[Linked Image]

I just don't see the market for this.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I CANT WAIT TO BUY THESE FOR .85 CENTS A QUART IN 2021!!!

My thoughts exactly (except for the 0w-16, no need for that in my fleet).

IMO 0W30 would have been nicer if it were on the "thicker" end of the grade.

I agree with others, give them about a year in stores like AZ and AAP and look for the $1/qt, or less closeout prices.

too bad I "can't" use the Hybrid oil in my Hybrid....since it's only in 0w16, and mine is old enough it predates the 0w20 ford spec...still calls for 5w20.( they switched to 0w20 the following MY)

looks like i'd have to get the Start/stop..

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Maybe the press release should have said Pennzoil releases 4 new motor oil LABELS.....

Annndd over here we have Duff, Duff Light, and Duff Dry

These are just flimsy attempts to charge more money for essentially the same product as before. The main difference will be the flashy label to create the impression of "new and improved"!

Why would someone buy one bottle and get one of those attributes when someone can buy any oil and get more or all? This labeling sucks so bad. Whoever came up with this needs to have their head examined. Look at the tag line under each bottle title, you can put a blindfold on and pick any oil off the rack that promises every single one of those inside a single bottle.

Why on Earth would anyone choose anything from this sad line up when each of them imply they only specialize in one attribute each, like this isn't 2019 and we can't have both "extended engine life" and "antiwear protection" in a single bottle right? HERESY. If I took these garbage labels at face value I'd seriously worry about Pennzoil being the only company that can't really make a good oil do more than one thing.

Originally Posted by walterjay
More time awake in the middle of the night trying to figure out if I used the right stuff in my car.

Right!...‚

Originally Posted by dkryan

I like SOPUS oils but they have gone overboard with the marketing. Did you read that Gina Fishback?

You have provided way too many choices for a a huge segment of drivers who simply don't give motor oil a second thought once they leave the dealership or Iffy-Lube.

Get focused!

Gena's a brand mgr, how do you know she/they didn't use focus groups to justify launching this new product line? (from a marketing standpoint, it's actually smart as most consumers want to be removed from the complexities of deciding which oil to use..they see "Start Stop" and say, "That's me..I drive in town a lot" and it wouldn't exactly be disingenuous of SOPUS if the formula is shown to better address the unique problems associated with start stop driving)

(you and I are the exception; how many people do you know that spend hours learning about wear, shear forces, VI, MOFT, fuel dilution, grp3 v. grp4 or copolymers?.. aside from BITOG'ers, not many in my circle of friends)

Last edited:
Man... ^^^^^^^^

A really good post here again Mad Hatter ... Really well stated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back