HF Icon Tool Storage - A Game Changer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's impressively large. I'm not at all sure I like tool boxes that large.

FWIW, some HF tool boxes are good quality and will hold up just fine.

Either that man in the photo is 4'5" tall or they need to throw in a step ladder for access to the upper shelves.
One thing that I have noticed is that the prices for the premium HR products are getting closer to the name-brand products. The HF products, especially the electrical items they sell, don't have a great warranty either.

If they're willing to offer a 20% off coupon, then these are premium priced to begin with.

20% off all Icon tool boxes until Oct 31. Includes free delivery, lifetime warranty. Stores only have a few demo units, not all items. And not all HF have them, only select stores.

Last edited:
It might be.....I always thought tool storage was overpriced & I've NEVER bought a new premium tool box for that reason........Currently have a Snap-on KRL7022 roll cab/KRL1201 top chest that I paid $5,500 for in mint condition.

The ICON 56" roll cab & top chest is @ $6,000 + tax, Not really that bad IF the quality & warranty is on par with Snap-on. Drawer slides, Detents & Casters are "no questions asked" through my SO dealer.
HF/ICON might have a tough time with warranting wear items? I'd bet they're using every part they can get to build more boxes. I highly doubt they will replace an entire box over a drawer slide.

HF is wanting to wad in the deep end of the pool, I hope they're prepared!......Mechanics will surely put that 8,000# weight rating to the test, The first Detroit 60 series engine that folds one of them up, Resulting in injury/death might end this whole experiment??

In fact the 8,000# rating is pretty outlandish for 4 casters that size.

Originally Posted by Donald
Ten years latter the SnapOn is probably worth $4000 and this one $200.

A 10 year old KRL722 (The box HF is using for comparison) is only worth about $1800 in mint condition on a good day to the right person. I've ran across them for $700. The 24" depth is very limiting.

A mint KRL7022 which is 29" deep can fetch $2500-$3000 pretty easy, A KRL1022 is worth $500-$1000 more.

Would rather go for a used Snap On or Macsimiser. They will always have some significant value. HF will always be something you settle for not something you really want.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

The ICON 56" roll cab & top chest is @ $6,000 + tax, Not really that bad IF the quality & warranty is on par with Snap-on. Drawer slides, Detents & Casters are "no questions asked" through my SO dealer.
HF/ICON might have a tough time with warranting wear items? I'd bet they're using every part they can get to build more boxes. I highly doubt they will replace an entire box over a drawer slide.

Are you saying SnapOn WILL replace an entire box over a drawer slide? I don't think you meant that which makes your comparison on this issue quite meaningless.

Last edited:
Snap-on stocks drawer slides & casters for about EVERY BB slide equipped box they ever made. The KR1000 that you bought in 1985 is still under wear part warranty.

HF is touting a "Lifetime Warranty", What does that exactly mean? Are we not talking about professional tool boxes & how ICON might be a game changer?

This would be great for the Home professional, or someone starting out looking to load up on tools instead of blowing $4k on an entry level snap on box like I did 20 years ago. I would push anyone starting out to go this route, while the level of fit and finish is exceptional, at the end of the day its still a metal box that you throw tools in. Why spend 10k when you can spend 2 and itll function just as well? My biggest worries would be them actually holding up with the weight, and how do you warranty? Break the drawer down and bring it in? Or is it just honor system I need this set of slides?
My last box was almost 10k list, I believe I got it for under 7 since I paid cash, and I still somewhat regret that purchase, although I do love the white. I definitely wont be in the market for another Snap On box thats for sure.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/KRL1022DPU

If these toolboxes are good maybe this will be a wake up call to Snap On to rethink their prices if/when sales start dropping off on their high end/high priced toolboxes. Competition is good, good for the consumer.

Snap-on stocks drawer slides & casters for about EVERY BB slide equipped box they ever made. The KR1000 that you bought in 1985 is still under wear part warranty.

I have a big Snap On top and bottom, one of the KRL's. It's an 85th anniversary edition or something like that. I got it REALLY cheap because it's ugly and was on the truck for a really long time.
Anyway, when it was only a few years old, this kid that worked for me was getting something out of my box (he had permission) and dropped a big wrench on the edge of the open drawer, the bottom left one that is like 12x12x24. It left a really bad dent. He felt awful and told me he'd pay for it. I couldn't let him do that. It would have eaten up half his paycheck.
I told the Snap On guy and he placed the order. First, I got a regular red drawer in the wrong shade of red and the wrong mounting holes for the plaque that goes on the front. Then they sent the right color with only two holes instead of three and the two were in the wrong position. This went on and on and finally, after about seven months, I got the correct drawer. If I remember right, that drawer was almost two hundred dollars.
Lesson learned? Don't buy stupid, limited edition colors or anniversary editions.

I was in our Harbor Freight the other day. I looked for them, but they had none. The guy said they were only introducing them in certain stores for now. More later. I'm assuming that's to lower their inventory until they get some kind of positive sales feedback.

That kind of surprised me. There's a lot of young guys here with big fancy go fast boats, custom trucks and Harley's, dune buggy's, sand rails, and the like. If anyone likes to spend money on tools, it's those guys.

Sounds like an older box than a 85th?

It was 80th. Canyon Red with gold trim and pictures of Snap On trucks all over it.

Originally Posted by billt460
I was in our Harbor Freight the other day. I looked for them, but they had none. The guy said they were only introducing them in certain stores for now. More later. I'm assuming that's to lower their inventory until they get some kind of positive sales feedback.

That kind of surprised me. There's a lot of young guys here with big fancy go fast boats, custom trucks and Harley's, dune buggy's, sand rails, and the like. If anyone likes to spend money on tools, it's those guys.

Yup, only certain stores, the larger or heavy volume locations. Go to the Icon link and it will point out which stores.

Lots of sales training needed here. Couldn't answer most questions I had.

Last edited:
I liked the HF boxes and thought they were good for the home and some professionals too. I do think many people will still buy the "name brand" boxes to fit in and because they are staples... Also if they are gonna finance a box, they will just go big anyway and buy a name brand box... I dont think we should count out these ICON boxes at all and am glad HF is upping their game! Since (my opinion) Craftsman has gone down hill and almost faded away, we need something to fill the void under the tool truck guys.

I'm hoping they're a smashing success. Then I can pick up a nice U.S. General box on a closeout. My cheap True Value roll away is just about ready for the can. The casters move about as easily as steel wool on a carpet. And it moves only one way..... The wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back