Tire suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by powersmo
Thanks for all the feedback. I live in Middle Tn just north of Nashville currently and the last few winters have seen little to no snow in our area...at least nothing like I am used to up north. I have been looking at several of the suggested tires/ brands mentioned and would love to have a NTB nearby but alas there are none to be found. I did see a concern in some other forums that if I were to get tires at Walmart and they were a diferent rating (T vs H vs ?) from what was on the cars tag on the vehicle that they may not mount the tires. Anyone have issues like that at Walmart or other tires stores? I did also take a look at the Goodyear Viva 3, General Exclaim HPX and Cooper CS5 at WM when I was getting milk the other day. The each seem to be good tires but not sure about the Viva 3. Also, was considering the Cooper Evolution tires?

Of the Walmart tires, Douglas is probably better than the VIva 3

The Cooper Evolution is the replacement for the old CS3

Walmart also carries the Kumho Solus HA31 in your size. It's another 3-peak all-season

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
I am in NY and need better snow performance (Don't have space to store winter tire set). I have shortlisted to following ones for 205/55-16

- General Altimax RT43 (H-rated) (Anyone knows the difference between RT43 and Exclaim HTX at Walmart)
- Vredestein Quatrac 5 (Low tread life)
- BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport
- Continental TrueContact Tour
- GoodYear Assurance MaxLife (This seems to be the best if you go by Tirerack review numbers)

I thought of Toyo Celsius. While its winter performance is great, wet handling doesn't seem to be the best, nor the dry handling.

You're considering the Quatrac 5 and Celsius, but why not the other 3-peak A/S tires?
smile.gif

The Goodyear Weathreready, Nokian WRG4, and Michelin CrossClimate+ are also worth considering

If price is important, check out the Kumho Solus HA31

Originally Posted by supton

My vote is RT43's but TBH I've not run else. I usually run snows in winter, but, we've found the RT43's are ok for light stuff, especially when new or nearly new.

You might want to check, I've heard a few times of tire places offering storage for your winter sets. Zero idea how costly it is.

RT43 was my only option until last month when I searched a bit and I found a few times, as RT43s age, their winter performance, and overall ride quality takes a hit. Since I have never used, I have no way to confirm or deny, just few opinions over other auto boards. Hence I started looking into others. GMax AS-05 also looks good but no idea how both of these perform differently. The tread pattern is different

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

You're considering the Quatrac 5 and Celsius, but why not the other 3-peak A/S tires?
smile.gif

The Goodyear Weathreready, Nokian WRG4, and Michelin CrossClimate+ are also worth considering

If price is important, check out the Kumho Solus HA31

You are right, the cost. I want to stay below$100-110 range. I skipped all the tires that I didn't find any information on (with respect to the winter performance). Agreed those numbers are not set in stone but I need to use something to make a call.

Is this HA31 Walmart specific? Its not on Kumho's website and TA31 that's on tirerack's website are not rated highly for winter performance.

Is this HA31 Walmart specific? Its not on Kumho's website and TA31 that's on tirerack's website are not rated highly for winter performance.

The HA31 is not Walmart-specific
smile.gif

Here is the HA31 on Kumho's Canadian site
08.gif

Kumho doesn't really sell too many of their winter tires in the US, but they are willing to sell them to any American who wants them. Someone here that is near the border contacted Kumho about them, and Kumho responded in a positive manner with information about their winter tire lineup.

Tire Rack doesn't carry Kumho's winter tires.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Stay away from Conti PureContact EcoPlus tires. I've only got 20K out of them and I rotate/balance/4-wheel align every 6K miles (and 35psi). These were very well rated on TireRack at the time (and Consumer Reports as well) which I purchased through them and had FireStone install for me (for a fee).

Nope, I don't track or abuse the car or tires. They have a newer version, the "LS", which supposedly has better wear characteristics but I'm switching today to Bridgestone Potenza PE980AS.

Sorry folks, my memory is going. I got 35K out of these tires, not 20K. I'm also not going with the Potenza's, not sure what it will be at this point.

Last edited:

My vote is RT43's but TBH I've not run else. I usually run snows in winter, but, we've found the RT43's are ok for light stuff, especially when new or nearly new.

You might want to check, I've heard a few times of tire places offering storage for your winter sets. Zero idea how costly it is.

RT43 was my only option until last month when I searched a bit and I found a few times, as RT43s age, their winter performance, and overall ride quality takes a hit. Since I have never used, I have no way to confirm or deny, just few opinions over other auto boards. Hence I started looking into others. GMax AS-05 also looks good but no idea how both of these perform differently. The tread pattern is different

I haven't noticed an issue, but I start tire shopping around 4/32's and usually get them changed around 3/32's. And won't run them in winter when that low, plus I'll drive something else when it's snowy. I also only get about 2 years out of a set, that's around 40k, so aging issues I don't see. FWIW, if you don't have the space to store tires, you might have to settle for changing tires more often. If you find yourself going into winter with less than say 6/32's of tread, you might be tempted to replace so as to have the best traction.

Originally Posted by dubber09
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Do you have NTB I surprisingly found really great prices and service in my town there

run by Sumitomo.

Check out the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 . Should do well in rain and snow and has a comfortable ride. vs Yokos.

2nd that, Sumis are very underrated but are great tires and that model mentioned above is a good "all weather" tire.

I'm going to 3rd this. Those Sumis were a pleasant surprise as far as performance/price/wear goes. They were above average in noise and comfort but for their price, they were great. Almost made me want to buy another set instead of experimenting with other tire models.

[

I haven't noticed an issue, but I start tire shopping around 4/32's and usually get them changed around 3/32's. And won't run them in winter when that low, plus I'll drive something else when it's snowy. I also only get about 2 years out of a set, that's around 40k, so aging issues I don't see. FWIW, if you don't have the space to store tires, you might have to settle for changing tires more often. If you find yourself going into winter with less than say 6/32's of tread, you might be tempted to replace so as to have the best traction.

They do but it's the same with any other tire. I'm currently finding that the RT43s aren't as loud and bumpy per their age/mileage compared to a lot of other tire models, but I'm sure their initial softness has something to do with that too.

For keeping tires for the longest you can

1. I do not do burnouts because burnouts use a lot of tread.

2. Pump the brakes in the rain or snow because if you don't you slide more, and makes more tire wear

3. I use tire shine so I can not only make the tires look better, but I also use it to get any dirt out of the tires that in the future can dry rot the tires.

For buying tires

I would recommend buying bf Goodrich because in my experience of using them that they last a long time, I have one on my Bonneville from 2005. With still road legal tread. Of course if I wanted to get my tire worked on at Sam's club I couldn't, but they do last a long time.

Lots of good feedback and I appreciate it. A firend had recommended looking at the Consumers Reports tire edition but this years hasn't come out yet but I did look at last years (Nov 2018). I really liked the Hankook PT H737 tires and their rating for the price and long warranty. CR showed that the tire was actually expected to get to its warrantied mileage vs several I was looking at. Also, Discount Tire carrys them but when I rolled it up at the website, it was over $610 with road warranty certs, disposal, lifetime rotation/ balance etc. Do you guys pay extra for the certs? The Hankook website indcates that they cover road hazard warranty for a year and TR provides a 2 year road hazard for free with purchase. Just weighing the facts.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
My accord has Michelin energy saver A/S tires and they have over 50% tread at 50k miles. Ive been happy with their noise, handling and wet weather characteristics.

I've got MXV4's on my Corolla. 45k miles and they have 6/32 left. Feeling like I'll at least get the warranty mileage out of them.

Well, a little f/u. I went over to Discount Tire and spoke with the folks there. Ended up getting the Hankook PT 737 tires all around after reading and researching on CR and many other places. Cost OTD was $470.25 m/b which included $118.00 credit for the old tires that wore out way too soon. Throw in $86. for the all wheel alignment and a $50. rebate from Hankook and I think I did ok. Now... for the brake job on the wife's 2006 Ody. Rotor suggestions anyone?

Originally Posted by powersmo
Well, a little f/u. I went over to Discount Tire and spoke with the folks there. Ended up getting the Hankook PT 737 tires all around after reading and researching on CR and many other places. Cost OTD was $470.25 m/b which included $118.00 credit for the old tires that wore out way too soon. Throw in $86. for the all wheel alignment and a $50. rebate from Hankook and I think I did ok. Now... for the brake job on the wife's 2006 Ody. Rotor suggestions anyone?

That price isn't bad at all
thumbsup2.gif

For the rotors, any coated rotors will be good.
Centric Premium, Wagner E-coated, and Powerstop Geomet coated rotors are all good stuff.

EBC also makes some good rotors, but they do cost a bit more.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
General AltiMax RT43 in "H" speed rating...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=16HR6AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I have General AltiMax RT43 tires on my Saab and am quite happy with them. They're quiet, have good grip on wet and dry roads, decent in light to moderate snow, and they seem to be wearing well. Bought 'em through Tire Rack.

I've been pricing truck tires. NTB looks like the best option in my area. The tires have good reviews and competitive, at least for here, prices. For car tires, I have been happy with Goodyear Eagles. My old tires were Nexen which I liked, but they were getting a lot of miles on them and I found a good deal on the Eagles. The ride noticeably smoother and they seem to be holding up nicely although I only have about 20k miles on them.

Let us know how those Hankook's are doing after the first couple of snows.
I have the Hankook Optimo H725's on my Corolla they currently have 25,000 miles on them.
I'm happy with the ride lack of noise. We don't get a lot of snow here but when we did last winter I was getting to Safeway
when lots of other cars had been abandoned along the road in 6 to 8 inches of snow. I was using no traction devices. Tread wear is good and even.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jmlo96
My Cruze uses that size tire size. Currently I'm running Conti PureContact LS tires. I love them. They are the best set of tires I ever had. They were made in the USA. I will say I only have about 1500 miles on them. I also owned the original PureContacts which I liked, but they could have been quieter, ride a bit better, and lasted longer. 2 of those three things I can confirm are fixed. The PureContacts were one of the best all season tires I've ever experienced in the snow. They are better than some winter tires I've used.

I made a mistake and bought the Hankook Kinergy PT H737 before the PureContact LS. They were nice tires but not sporty at all. I suspect you would hate them on a car like the Passat.

The General Altimax RT43 like everyone says are a decent tire as well. They are very similar to the Contis but I'd say the Contis do everything just a bit better, especially in refinement and rolling resistance. We have the RT43s on another car and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

My vote overall is the PureContact LS. They will be a huge improvement over the ContiPros. They are probably one of the sportiest tires in the size without sacrificing ride.

I have been looking at the PureContact LS vs the Primacy MXM4. They seem to have better reviews. But I heard they becime loud and the sidewalls are soft. Is that true in your case? They are actually cheaper.

Hi folks, wanted to follow up on the Hankook tires I put on the Honda. Almost 6,000 since install and all is good. We didn't have any snow this year but have had lots of rain. No issues at all. DT was easy to work with and I even went back and got new tires for the DW van. Now I need tires for my mom's car. She really needs to sell it since she is 96 and doesn't drive but she hates to get rid of it. It's a 2013 VW Passat S with 215/60/16's. Since it doesn't get a bunch of miles on it, I was looking at the Sentury, Westlake RP 18 and the Douglas A/S. All have 40-45K warranty on them and the needs tires even if we can convince her to get rid of it. Thoughts? Especially if you have used the Sentury from DT. They are $49 per tire right now. Thanks.

It would be good to get some comments on that Sentury Touring from DT and it might be good for someone to start a new thread. We had an almost new set of Toyo Versado Noir on my daughter's car and she hit a curb last month which split the sidewall. This was while traveling out of state and late on a Sat. afternoon, so I had her go to the nearby DT. They just had a couple of options in stock so had them put on a Sentury Touring even though I'd never heard of it before.

The Sentury shows up on the Consumer Reports web site but I haven't been able to see if there was anything to read since I do not have a subscription. I liked the set of Versado Noir however was surprised the sidewall split with less than 10k miles at the time. From what I could determine, I would pick the Sentury over the other two choices you mentioned. I think the WM Viva 3 is not a bad tire for the lower price point either.

Last edited:
Sentury Touring 53 pts
General Altimax RT43 (T) 70 pts
Krzys

PS Commentary

"This is a good budget tire for the Sun Belt. Its Excellent rating for resisting hydroplaning is near the top of the all-season category, and it earns a Very Good rating for dry braking, plus Good for wet braking and handling. But it's a weaker tire for snow and especially ice, and its 50,000-mile tread life is relatively weak."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back