Time for a new phone! Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just helped my good friend who's older and not tech savvy update from a Moto x 2013 to the s9. He's blown away by the difference so far. I prefer phones with stock Android, but in this case the Galaxy s9 offered the best value out of what he could get through his carrier. It was that or the a70 which seems like Samsung's first attempt at making a decent mid range phone, but the size was too much for him (6.7").

It's also nice that it still has a headphone jack and SD card expansion slot. Plus ip68 water resistance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by Ignatius
LG V40

I have had one for about a year now and have been very happy with it. Functionality is terrific and simple. It has 5 cameras and they work well. Quad Dac and DTS 3D sound make listening to anything over headphones or Bluetooth of great quality with a wide range of customization. Also this thing charges up so quickly!

I know that the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy are always the "sexy" phone choices but in my experience LG tends to consistently make excellent products that are of high quality and easy to use.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I went from Samsung to LG and regretted it. Sprint and Verizon's G4 had the boot loop issues with the G4, then the G5 had issues with the GPS, then my current G6's USB-C and aux port are complete garbage and the vibration hasn't worked since week 3 of owning the phone. Isn't there another LG phone with black/bleed-through issues on their screen too? Last time I'm using LG for phones.

Yeah, the boot loop problem is pretty common. My sister had the same problem too, I wouldn't bother with LG.

I'm on a Samsung S8, got it almost two years ago, black friday, $370. Now that the S10 is out, I might go for that depending if there's another almost half off sale again this year.

Bjornviken said:
Oneplus7 pro[/quote

01.gif

I'm on the LG phoenix plus from AT&T prepaid. good battery life good signal in my location pretty snappy performance and nice screen resolution for a $59 phone. I have a nice case on mine.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
...and despite my initial fears of it being banned and bricked by Google and Cricket in August....

Where did you get this from? Yours isn't a piece of network infrastructure equipment

If it's not an iPhone, I speak highly of the Google Pixel series. And they are all unlocked and ready to go with any wireless service unless you buy one at Verizon. The Pixel 3a is a $400 phone, and it does have the best camera south of an iPhone X/11 series.

The Samsung Galaxy S series does have impressive specs, but I'm not a fan of Samsung's everything and the kitchen sink approach and the crap they load on(as well as any carrier bloat). There's a reason why Samsung has to offer more RAM, more CPU and an recent iPhone does well on the latest iOS - optimization. Although, I really like Dex on my work S10e(and running Linux in DeX is a cool nerd party trick), iOS works for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Y_K
...and despite my initial fears of it being banned and bricked by Google and Cricket in August....

Where did you get this from? Yours isn't a piece of network infrastructure equipment

He's worried there would be no access to Android updates or Google apps. Huawei still has access to Android for the time being - but their latest phone release doesn't have Google apps - you will need to unlock the bootloader and sideload them.

I have a Huawei Mate with a Cricket plan and no issues with the LTE access. It's a good quality phone and despite my initial fears of it being banned and bricked by Google and Cricket in August, it looks like Trump has backed down for good.

You dont say what model Huawei Mate.
They have half a dozen or more models. We have 3 in our family and absolute amazing price/performance.

Huawei is facing political issues in some countries but do not discount that they are almost tied with Apple as the second largest cell phone maker in the world. They do have some fantastic reviewed phones but until the political issues are solved, I dont think I would invest in the latest newest phone from them... but ... well... whatever ... who knows...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I have a Huawei Mate with a Cricket plan and no issues with the LTE access. It's a good quality phone and despite my initial fears of it being banned and bricked by Google and Cricket in August, it looks like Trump has backed down for good.

You dont say what model Huawei Mate.
They have half a dozen or more models. We have 3 in our family and absolute amazing price/performance.

Huawei is facing political issues in some countries but do not discount that they are almost tied with Apple as the second largest cell phone maker in the world. They do have some fantastic reviewed phones but until the political issues are solved, I dont think I would invest in the latest newest phone from them... but ... well... whatever ... who knows...

Yeah, the p30 pro that's been out for a while now looks pretty amazing, but I would stick with pixels or OnePlus phones if you want likely regular updates for a few years.

There is also the new ZTE axon 10 pro, which is getting really amazing reviews. It has a great camera, stock Android, latest hardware, etc.

ZTE is in better graces with AT&T and T-Mobile, they along with TCL make their "budget" smartphones.

The Chinese have been hitting it out of the park lately with their phones. I'm an Apple person but still. I think Samsung should worry more about Huawei, Oppo, OnePlus and ZTE instead of Apple - it's more of an equal(Android, flagship, identical specs and same Qualcomm SoC) comparison, not an apples to oranges comparison. Huawei even makes their own SoC to rival Qualcomm's Snapdragon and Samsung's Exynos series - the Kirin SoC.

Google has their AI driving things behind gCam and the Google Assistant and I wished my new iPhone had some of the Android smarts such as a built-in call screener and an always-listening feature for music. Apple has the hardware advantage with their SoCs despite having less RAM than their Android counterparts but iOS is more efficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back