Installing a New Transmission Gasket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hastings transmission filter I got came with a new gasket. It's made of what looks like ground rubber (black crumbs) and ground cork (tan crumbs).

It feels well made.

I was wondering if it needs a gasket sealer or if it goes into place dry and on clean surfaces (obviously).

This is for my 5R55E in my 2005 Ranger. Thanks

If I do use a sealant , I apply it to the removable part . So , if you do this again , it is easier to remove the sealant / gasket .

I use a little high-tack on the pan and the pan side of the gasket to hold it in place. I don't coat both sides. You want the gasket to swell to seal.

Some aftermarket gaskets have smaller than usual bolt holes to be a "third hand".

I use a thin coat of high tack on these type gaskets on the pan side, let it sit for 20 min before installing. With gaskets like this careful with torque they spread out and split easily.
Snug it starting in the middle criss-cross and work outward then go around one more time and tighten them lightly not too tight.
Personally I toss that type in the trash and get one of these if available, for yours it is. It is reusable.

https://globaltransmissionparts.com/5R44N-5R55WS-molded-rubber-oil-pan-gasket-xw4z7a191ba/

Does it have thin metal with both sides covered with gasket material? The Ford factory gasket is hard to beat and you can use it multiple times.
The Ford # is 7L5Z7A191A.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Does it have thin metal with both sides covered with gasket material? The Ford factory gasket is hard to beat and you can use it multiple times.
The Ford # is 7L5Z7A191A.

I totally missed this thread until I read this post. Yes the Ford one is reusable. We have a tech who has a bunch of random studs he will thread in and use as guides to hold the gaskets in place while he puts bolts in. Fel-Pro has something similar with their oil pan gaskets.

I used a Hastings kit on my Explorer's A4LD and just put the gasket on clean and dry. No leaks 5k miles later, so I think it's probably good. I couldn't reuse the original because it was brittle and snapped into pieces. The Hastings gasket is nice, not the flimsy junk in cheaper filter kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back