Thoughts and opinions on family haulers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi

I see a lot of old Cavaliers on the road too, does that mean they're as good, or better than the imports? Your reasoning is flawed...

See, you take every single thing as some sort of criticism of Toyota. Did I ever say they were better than Toyota because these Chrysler old minivans are still on the road?

But, if one were to believe Chrysler minivans are such junk, as you and others make it sound, then those old vehicles should not be seen on the road at all. They should've been hauled to the scrap yard because they would brake often and cost lots of money to keep on the road. Why would anyone keep a generic Chrysler minivan on the road for so long if it were such a nightmare and expense to own?

This is the claim you keep making, that Toyota in the long run is cheaper to own and more reliable. So what do you base your argument on?

My thinking is that if a vehicle is decent, doesn't brake often and doesn't cost a lot of money to repair, people will tend to keep such a vehicle longer. So if I see certain old models still on the road, to me it's a sign that the vehicle is quite good overall. May not be the best, but it certainly is not a reliability nightmare.

You're right, I won't because Chryslers will never be on par with the imports...
The one new Accord I once purchased was such a POS that it wouldn't be hard for most Chrysler products to exceed it.

We all have our experiences, and whether right or wrong, we base our future purchasing decisions on them, even if we are working with a sample of 1 or 2. Even though I know that in general Honda is not bad, that one single bad experience I had made me not want to buy another Honda, ever. Irrational, but not atypical human behavior.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals

I know people have seen worse. So have I. But this is a 2012. Looks like a 2002 underneath.

Brake parts typically look like that with the vehicle only being 2-3yrs old in my area.

The rear rotors looked like that on my 2016 Subaru Forester at 2yrs and ~34K miles on the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by ram_man
They are far from perfect but they don't deserve the mind set some of you have about them imo.

Amen. Some people are just stuck in the past.

...and some of us have owned Chryslers that have been nothing but trouble...

Wasn't the last Chrysler you owned a 1998 Intrepid with the sludge-prone 2.7L? That's like somebody saying they'd never own a Toyota because the frame rotted out of their 1992 "Truck" or God help them, they had a sludger that started burning oil (hey wait, that's the same problem you had with your Intrepid....) right?
smirk.gif

Your so heavily biased I'm amazed you can stay upright. Maybe go yell at some clouds or something, since you obviously aren't managing to gain much traction in this thread.

They are far from perfect but they don't deserve the mind set some of you have about them imo.

And I had a "invincible" 1995 Toyota Camry with a good service record that left me and my very pregnant girlfriend (now wife) stranded on a 100°F humid summer day. Replaced that POS with a 2012 Dodge Caliber (which isn't a GOOD car, it's just a car), which now has more miles than the Camry did and no mechanical flaws at all
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Wasn't the last Chrysler you owned a 1998 Intrepid with the sludge-prone 2.7L? That's like somebody saying they'd never own a Toyota because the frame rotted out of their 1992 "Truck" or God help them, they had a sludger that started burning oil (hey wait, that's the same problem you had with your Intrepid....) right?
smirk.gif

Your so heavily biased I'm amazed you can stay upright. Maybe go yell at some clouds or something, since you obviously aren't managing to gain much traction in this thread.

I've got a better idea...how 'bout if I buy what I like, and you buy what you like and I'll wish you luck...and keep dreaming of those world class Chryslers, that's the only place they exist...

And I had a "invincible" 1995 Toyota Camry with a good service record that left me and my very pregnant girlfriend (now wife) stranded on a 100°F humid summer day. Replaced that POS with a 2012 Dodge Caliber (which isn't a GOOD car, it's just a car), which now has more miles than the Camry did and no mechanical flaws at all
wink.gif

My Corolla now has 390K and has never left me stranded...let's see your Dodge do that...check mate...

Last edited:

My Corolla now has 390K and has never left me stranded...let's see your Dodge do that...check mate...

That has absolutely nothing to do with me being stranded by the "world class" Toyota Camry though. Nor do I care how many miles are on your dull, uninspiring vehicle. Cant break things if you aren't inspired to push it even a little. I don't buy my vehicles to drive the wheels off of them, I get bored after awhile and buy a new one. Life is short, I'll never be caught dead in another soul sucking appliance. Check mate.

Driving s Corolla for 390K miles?
That would be my textbook definition of eternal d*mnation.

I've got a better idea...how 'bout if I buy what I like, and you buy what you like and I'll wish you luck...and keep dreaming of those world class Chryslers, that's the only place they exist...

I've got no problem with you buying what you like there stud. It's when you trot out your single personal anecdote from the 90's as some sort of universal quality barometer and scream like a banshee when somebody says something negative about Toyota, which you obviously worship at the altar of.

Unlike you, I actually own two current Chrysler products, both of which have, thus far, been excellent. I've got a far greater amount of experience with the brand than you have, and more importantly, I have a far greater amount of experience with CURRENT Chrysler products than you do, which makes my contributions in this thread far more valuable than your decades old rantings about some sludge prone weapon you leased once upon a time and now you hate the brand.

Your contribution here would be like me strolling into one of your Corvette dreamin' threads and start screaming about how the cars are garbage and oh noes the Optispark ignition! Spouting dated nonsense. Then, when that was pointed out, that the "valuable information" I was presenting was in fact completely irrelevant to something produced in the last 2 decades, I could double-down on my efforts, just making it awkward and myself look silly. If that doesn't sound enjoyable for you as the OP, having already expressed your satisfaction with the GM brand early on in the thread, then perhaps you can get a sense as to how the OP in this thread feels with your continued injection of rectal refuse that you've already made quite clear, you have no intention of moving on from.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
...sludge prone weapon...

...rectal refuse...

You sir just created 2 new metal bands in one post.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MCompact

Driving s Corolla for 390K miles?
That would be my textbook definition of eternal d*mnation.

Toyota Corolla. The official car of
02.gif

[off-topic]
Oh boy, I would not get close to the Cheerios from the guys in this thread.... are they Bitter Yellow Lemonade flavor?
[/off-topic]

back-to-topic:

My humble opinion:
-OP would choose domestics because he is more familiar with working on them
-there are more in his area
-his chances of something in good care/condition actually increase (in his area)

SO, I would recommend the OP to buy for condition and revisit in 2-3 years.

I saw a new Dodge van in traffic today. Pacifica? All blacked out. Multiple sunroofs open. Everybody plugged in. Very nice looking for a van. I was impressed I wonder how much it cost.

How is that related to someone asking about a family? Only sad insecure people brag about a Toyota Corolla.

We narrowed our choice to the caravan or odyssey. There were many nuanced things we didn't like about the sienna, and are glad we didn't get one - our friends bought one at the same time as we got our odyssey and they've had all kinds of problems, from bad door locks to leaky sunroof and a number of other things.

The prevalence of caravans in rental fleets means that their price used tends to be lower, and they're pretty prevalent.

Older Odysseys has AT issues. If you can get a good deal with the value of a replacement factored in, they may be a good deal too.

Originally Posted by madRiver

How is that related to someone asking about a family? Only sad insecure people brag about a Toyota Corolla.

It isn't. It was a reply to someone complaining about their Camry. Can't you read? And sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm neither sad nor insecure...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
We narrowed our choice to the caravan or odyssey. There were many nuanced things we didn't like about the sienna, and are glad we didn't get one - our friends bought one at the same time as we got our odyssey and they've had all kinds of problems, from bad door locks to leaky sunroof and a number of other things.

The prevalence of caravans in rental fleets means that their price used tends to be lower, and they're pretty prevalent.

Older Odysseys has AT issues. If you can get a good deal with the value of a replacement factored in, they may be a good deal too.

That sunroof thing apparently is big issue in Sienna. You know that uber, duper Toyota quality control. I think some member here had bill from Toyota dealership for $5,800 for leaky sunroof. But it is OK, it is Toyota
smile.gif

I did not think too much as AWD for me was a must, so I went with SIenna, but:
Shaky and moving mirrors.
Ridiculously rattling windows when JBL is pumping bit higher.
There is some squeak in front left corner of dashboard. Disabled speaker, tried to get to as many parts to see whether they are loose, but nothing.
Few days ago my son spilled water on carpet. For the love of God, IDK what material Toyota suppliers use, but the smell! Last year during trip to Florida I accidentally during loading opened drain plug on cooler that was in the trunk of my X5. 10lbs of ice melted and drained on carpet (and worse, battery and all electronics in trunk, but luckily except brief CEL indicating issue with battery, nothing happened). After carpet was dry, smell was totally gone. In SIenna? I am keeping windows open in garage for last 8 days, and still that moldy smell is there.

I must of had 10 lowly GM's with sunroofs and not one leak … even from car washes …

You might try some baking soda on that carpet … give it a day and then vacuum

Originally Posted by 4WD
I must of had 10 lowly GM's with sunroofs and not one leak … even from car washes …

You might try some baking soda on that carpet … give it a day and then vacuum

I have to do something. Last night I closed windows, and this morning on the way to daycare had to open everything to air out. God forbid if it was something else and not plain water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back