2010 F-150 5.4 3V- Issues imminent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been 550 miles so far and engine is running well. Good acceleration and no abnormal noises. Finally got the paperwork back and looks like the mechanic listed the roller followers as the culprit; which then "destroyed the cam". Metal was found in the oil filter and oil pan. Interestingly, the mechanic put a note that he recommends changing the oil at 1,000 miles after engine break in.

Do have a couple of questions though; when I come to a stop the idle isn't exactly the "smoothest". Feels like a subtle miss from the seat of the pants. I read this is normal of the 3V and may be because of the oil pressure and the cam phasers? Also, fan speed seems to be louder than before, normal?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Video of what happens when a follower eats a cam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChUcIwikVhU

Wow, complete carnage! That's what happened to mine, not sure of the extent but surprised it still ran.

What do you think about the idle and fan speed? Any experience with that?

By the way, Happy Birthday! You've helped me and many others a lot on this board, much appreciated
cheers3.gif

Did they do the intake when they did the longblock? Sometimes we have seen pieces of metal from when the engine let go in the runners.

The rough idle could very well be normal. Depending on the mileage we will try to put new coils on when we do a longblock. As far as the fans, I am not sure. Some models have a relay/module on the cooling fan assembly, but yours does not show having one.

And thank you for the birthday wishes. I try to help when I can.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Did they do the intake when they did the longblock? Sometimes we have seen pieces of metal from when the engine let go in the runners.

The rough idle could very well be normal. Depending on the mileage we will try to put new coils on when we do a longblock. As far as the fans, I am not sure. Some models have a relay/module on the cooling fan assembly, but yours does not show having one.

And thank you for the birthday wishes. I try to help when I can.

That's a good question but I don't believe they replaced the intake. I should clarify the idle I am referring to is pretty mild and I'm guessing many people wouldn't even notice it. Otherwise the power is there and she pulls well throughout the RPM range.

Appreciate the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back