2019 Mazda CX-5 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Elkins45
Originally Posted by Ws6

I'd prefer a gas burner with a carb. Give me all the refined interior with all the old proven tech that's stoopid simple to work on!

In my experience modern fuel injection systems are way more reliable than carbureted engines ever were. I've never been stranded by a flooded injected engine.

My carburetor engine never stranded me. Run the fuel pump mechanically, super low pressure, just a simple rock solid creature.

I don't think these will ever sell. The low MPG and high price tag just don't make sense. A AWD Rav 4 is $10+K less and gets better MPG. Heck a Hybrid AWD Rav4 gets 41/38 and is still $8-9K cheaper.

This cx-5 just doesn't make sense. Wack $15K off its price it may sell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Elkins45
Originally Posted by Ws6

I'd prefer a gas burner with a carb. Give me all the refined interior with all the old proven tech that's stoopid simple to work on!

In my experience modern fuel injection systems are way more reliable than carbureted engines ever were. I've never been stranded by a flooded injected engine.

My carburetor engine never stranded me. Run the fuel pump mechanically, super low pressure, just a simple rock solid creature.

25 years of driving never been stranded by a Jeep, Subaru, Honda/Acura and VW ever. Many of them run into the 200k mark without serious issues. Not afraid of the boogie man.

SkyActivG.
SkyActivD...finally.
SkyActivX...still waiting impatiently.

I took a serious look at CX5 before purchasing my Lexus.

It took so long for SkayActivD, and they were originally talking in terms of 35MPG+ with some torque. The MPG numbers and inevitable expensive emission system repairswith modern diesels are deal breakers IMV.

Does anyone remember Mahindra ?

We had a couple of diesel Benz boxes years ago and liked them.
They made sense at the time given the cost of fuel as well as their operating economy, simplicity and easy maintenance.
They were also the cheapest Mercedes you could buy.
This thing makes no sense. It isn't simple, it isn't especially economical and it isn't at all cheap.
It also has nothing like the long-life potential of a W123.
I do wonder what the Mazda US folks have been smoking.
A good HEV would blow this thing away in operating economics.

"I do wonder what the Mazda US folks have been smoking.
A good HEV would blow this thing away in operating economics."

Just wait. Announcement is coming at the 2020 Tokyo Auto Salon happening in January.

I like those old Mercedes 300D, they look cool and last forever. Unfortunately they would make my 150hp 305 powered 83 Caprice feel like a race car. I'd probably end up wanting to do an LS swap which takes away the whole reason I would want one of those Mercedes (the bulletproof engine that can run on veggie oil).

Not anymore.

It's not that diesel itself is unloved. It's what's happened to it in a generation. The fuel is more costly and the engines are far more complex than my 1981 Rabbit Diesel with a mechanical injection pump and four glow plugs.

Those days are gone, so the value proposition for diesel is harder to make. Unless you need the torque for towing or do a lot of highway driving, a gasoline engine, especially in a car, makes sense in North America.

Other places in the world may have an easier circumstance to justify the use. Here in North America, it's hard to justify it today.

Originally Posted by hpb
There really isn't much love for the diesel engine on BITOG.

Originally Posted by javacontour

It's not that diesel itself is unloved. It's what's happened to it in a generation. .

[/quote]
Exactly. I loved diesels so much. At one time we had two ALH TDIs and a 12 valve Cummins, 100% diesel fleet with manual transmissions no less. Modern diesels just take more than they give back for the large majority of users. Diesel offers less, and DI Gas engines are offering very good performance compared to a few decades ago.

I had a 2014 Cruze diesel.Worst pos I ever owned.Constant emissions problems.They finally had to pull the head at 70,000 km to clean carbon from the valves.EGR and PCV kill these things.Austrailians have them and they didn't have EGR so much fewer issues.The EPA has choked the life out of diesels here in North America.My son's father in law is a diesel mechanic and said they were getting rid of their newer diesel busses due to emissions related problems.

Originally Posted by hpb

Diesels simply cost more now and don't offer much in return for the average consumer. In the past they had a place but modern tweaks like DI, turbo etc the MPG of gassers is quite incredible and far less cost.

Well, someone on the Mazda forum got one. Said they are getting mid 30s on the highway. Said it scoots along okay but they didnt drive the turbo gasser to compare. My turbo gassed gets 28mpg on 75mph road trips, for comparison.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by hpb

Diesels simply cost more now and don't offer much in return for the average consumer. In the past they had a place but modern tweaks like DI, turbo etc the MPG of gassers is quite incredible and far less cost.

It is complexity of an emissions system that is an issue. I would never get rid of my X5 diesel if it did not have SCR. Would convince eventually wife to keep it and just got minivan too. But SCR is a headache and in CO it is impossible in counties in the Front Range area to do SCR and DPF delete. Not worth for 5-6 extra mpg. Though, torque is addictive.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by hpb

It is complexity of an emissions system that is an issue. I would never get rid of my X5 diesel if it did not have SCR. Would convince eventually wife to keep it and just got minivan too. But SCR is a headache and in CO it is impossible in counties in the Front Range area to do SCR and DPF delete. Not worth for 5-6 extra mpg. Though, torque is addictive.

If it's torque and a CX5 you want, get the gasoline turbo model. Better than the diesel. Turbo gasoline engines > turbo diesel engines, nowadays. They have zero lag and make more power.

Last edited:
If it's torque and a CX5 you want, get the gasoline turbo model. Better than the diesel. Turbo gasoline engines > turbo diesel engines, nowadays. They have zero lag and make more power.

Torque is addictive, CX5 is not, diesel or gas, unlike BMW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

Torque is addictive, CX5 is not, diesel or gas, unlike BMW.

Everyone on this forum with a CX5 seems to like it.
You sold your X5 and bought a minivan.
Oh, this will blow your mind...
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123869028-Blown-away-by-our-new-CX-5-Signature
Once she gave me the green light, I did some initial research and began cross shopping the CX-5 Signature against the Volvo XC60, Audi Q5, Lexus RX, Acura RDX and BMW X5.

I truly love driving this car in a way that I simply couldn't with the last one. So much so that I find myself preferring it over the M3 more often than I thought I would.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Even I am taken aback, lol! But, hey, CX5 turbo delivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back