Mechanic says it would be too much money. Is that a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald

The hull is never an issue, it's the wood they used in the transom, stringers, floor and seats. Much is fiberglass covered. But water can still get in.

Boat builders have gotten better over the years with using treated wood or less wood. So less of a problem with newer boats.
Before you spend the money on new engine/outdrive maybe get it surveyed to look for any soft wood. If everything is good, then great, repower.

^^This 100%

Bought a new outdrive leg today, rebuilt, repainted, looks brand new. $2900.00 I figure I can be in this thing $13,000 or so. I can live with that.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Bought a new outdrive leg today, rebuilt, repainted, looks brand new. $2900.00 I figure I can be in this thing $13,000 or so. I can live with that.

You did get the survey to make sure the wood is in good shape right? When planning to dump money like this into an older boat, NO MATTER ITS OUTWARD APPEARANCE, it is important to get a proper survey!!!

He's like we can still fix this thing without jumping in the deep end. My thinking is that I want a piece of mind, not just fix one thing then let it be good for a year or two then you're in it again fixing something else.

If he can fix this thing and you get to use it a year or two before it needs another fix, well then you just hit the lottery with a 30 year old boat. I would suggest following the advice of your mechanic, it sounds spot on.

Never have I known anyone doing a new (or rebuilt or reman or whatever) engine swap end up just swapping the engine. Some of the engine bolt ons may not fit and new ones need to be purchased. Once the engine is exposed all sorts of things can be seen. Waterlogged transom or stringers. Engine mounts. Bad wiring. Rusted fuel tanks. The list goes on and on. Once the engine is out, and you see all of these potential issues, most folks tend to say it will be cheaper to repair or replace now while the engine is out, I better do this now.

On average of the folks I've known that went down this road, the final bill for the work done came in at about 50% higher than the initial estimate.

As they say with old cars of questionable reliability, drive it like you stole it.

Originally Posted by SeaJay

He's like we can still fix this thing without jumping in the deep end. My thinking is that I want a piece of mind, not just fix one thing then let it be good for a year or two then you're in it again fixing something else.

If he can fix this thing and you get to use it a year or two before it needs another fix, well then you just hit the lottery with a 30 year old boat. I would suggest following the advice of your mechanic, it sounds spot on.

Never have I known anyone doing a new (or rebuilt or reman or whatever) engine swap end up just swapping the engine. Some of the engine bolt ons may not fit and new ones need to be purchased. Once the engine is exposed all sorts of things can be seen. Waterlogged transom or stringers. Engine mounts. Bad wiring. Rusted fuel tanks. The list goes on and on. Once the engine is out, and you see all of these potential issues, most folks tend to say it will be cheaper to repair or replace now while the engine is out, I better do this now.

On average of the folks I've known that went down this road, the final bill for the work done came in at about 50% higher than the initial estimate.

As they say with old cars of questionable reliability, drive it like you stole it.

I swapped out a Mercruiser 305 with a bare-block 350 that I built from the ground up in just this way. My only expenses were the bare block I bought and had machined, rotating assembly (purchased as seperate components), bearing set, gasket set, and assembly lube. I brought over everything from the 305 including the heads, camshaft, intake...literally everything. Everything bolted up and dropped in like a charm. It was a 4 bbl carb with minimal electronics...so quite simple.

Yes, I know I did not have the up-top horsepower I could have if I moved to new heads and cam, but I was after raw low end torque to pull skiers and tubers. She ran perfect for what I wanted, and would still top out at 59 mph in a 20' boat.

They've been putting 350's in boats for well over 3 decades. There shouldn't need to be too much custom work that needs to be done to get it to fit in there. As far as the stringers go I did take it to a fiberglass shop to check the stringers and they were solid, although their was a little moisture in them because he checked them also with a moisture meter.

So my final suggestion (assuming you are still going-ho) is to have the shop pull everything out that will be replaced or rebuilt and access the situation. Then order the replacements. That way if you find out something that is a show stopper, you are not stuck selling a new engine on Craigslist for 1/2 of what you paid. Good luck.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you're keeping it as an SBC I would choose an L31 crate over a Goodwrench 350. You want Vortec heads, they make a big difference even with a stock cam.

If you want reliability, ditch the carb and get a fuel injection set up. I think I would fix the outdrive and invest in a FI setup for the engine rather than replacing the engine. It shouldn't be too hard to find a marine FI setup for an SBC. You will never have carb tuning issues again. If you end up replacing the engine anyway, you will still be further ahead than if you kept the carb.

Funny cause over at the boat forums they all preach to stay with the carburetor setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it do the.long block route I'll probably do a 383 stroker, but if I do a drop in crate marine engine with all the accessories already on it then I'll stay with the 350 with vortec heads.

What if you dump this money pit and buy a proper pleasure boat, one with a mast and sails?
Your combustion engine problems would immediately disappear and you'd have a fun and cheap to enjoy toy.
Just a thought based upon my personal preferences as well as what I've run on Lake Erie.
All you need with even a good sized sailboat is some little engine to make it easier to get the boat out of its mooring and to return it there.
Yeah, if you're traveling from Florida to San Juan a diesel or two would be nice, but you don't really need that sort of thing for weekend pleasure boating.

What's your definition of a money pit? My definition is going out and spending $70k on a new boat. I'm not even a 3rd of the way there yet. This is the whole reason I bought this boat is that if something like this happens, then atleast I can just repower it and still be in better shape than the guy who spent $70k on it. New boats have problems too, straight outta of the factory even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back