Best NOACK Commonly Available 0W-20 Oil (for Honda Civic 1.5T)

Girlfriend (soon to be fiance) just moved down here from Indiana, so I'll be taking care of maintenance on her 2018 Civic LX Hatchback 6-speed (1.5T).

She's had the car since buying new last fall and it has around 16,000 miles now. Up until this point, she's been going to the dealership up there for oil changes. No idea what they've been putting in it.

I am aware of the fuel dilution issues with this engine, and, if it was my car and it wasn't under warranty, I might just put Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 in it. Last time someone checked that oil a few years ago, it was 4.7% NOACK, which is one of the best NOACK ratings of ANY oil, regardless of price. That's what I ran in my 2016 WRX (also a TGDI engine), despite the fact that it called for a 5W-30. But it didn't bother me because, hey, still a 30W oil. But it's not my car, and it's a 5-year, unlimited-mileage powertrain warranty (Honda upped it from 5/60 due to the fuel dilution problems).

So, I think, while it's under warranty, I'll stick with a 0W-20 that's commonly available at Walmart, and probably an OEM Honda filter, and keep all the receipts.

A couple of the oils I have in mind are M1 0W-20, which I understand is a very good oil with significant PAO content, and PPPP 0W-20. I have not compared specs between those 2.

Any others I should consider?

55BB431C-CABE-43CA-B008-1E82EEA6ECC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ignatius
Ravenol ECS 0w-20 at a NOACK of 7.4 is the best that I am aware of having researched this very subject myself recently. It is available at Blauparts, follow link below:

https://www.blauparts.com/r/1iV7agvr/

Thanks, but not interested in a boutique oil. Need something I can get at Walmart. Doing her oil change today, and I like the convenience of being able to just pick up the oil when I need it.

May just go with standard M1 0W-20 (does that exist, or is there just the AFE?). This will be my first time buying 0W-20. Seems to be a good choice simply because of the wide availability, relatively low cost, decent specs.

I doubt I'll spend the extra cash on the EP version since we'll never do long OCIs on this car due to the fuel dilution issues.

Fuel dilution is an issue in these engines, but mostly in cars subject to very short trips in very cold weather. A low NOACK oil is not going to help with that issue.

Either use a thicker oil to give some protection against diluted ( thinning ) oil, or change the oil more frequently.

Seeing as you are reluctant to go with thicker oil, buy the cheapest 0w20 you can find, and change it frequently, as in NOT what the car is telling you ... but every say 3000 miles.

Another vote for Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20. That's going to be your best off-the-shelf option.

Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20 and Driven DI20 0w-20 would be great boutique options.

What will be her driving routine in Tennessee? Short trips? Highway? The weather might be more favorable than Indiana as well. Cold temps tend to aggravate fuel dilution.

Instead of focusing on Noack I would select a major brand of d1G2 / SN+ oil of your choice and focus on the OCI instead.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Fuel dilution is an issue in these engines, but mostly in cars subject to very short trips in very cold weather. A low NOACK oil is not going to help with that issue.

Either use a thicker oil to give some protection against diluted ( thinning ) oil, or change the oil more frequently.

Seeing as you are reluctant to go with thicker oil, buy the cheapest 0w20 you can find, and change it frequently, as in NOT what the car is telling you ... but every say 3000 miles.

Yep yep... without data to go off of this is the route I'd take - probably 4k top's. Pick a lube with a high 100c kv for a 0w20... fwiw, ST FS 0w20 is just $14 and change.

Alternatively, you could do a series of UOA's w/dilution to establish trends, %'s and use that to pick your lube.

Originally Posted by PimTac
What will be her driving routine in Tennessee? Short trips? Highway? The weather might be more favorable than Indiana as well. Cold temps tend to aggravate fuel dilution.

Instead of focusing on Noack I would select a major brand of d1G2 / SN+ oil of your choice and focus on the OCI instead.

I agree with PimTac.

However, if you're after a low Noack that is readily available and PAO based, Mobil 1 EP 0w20 is a great choice. Any of the major brands in the d1G2/SN+ spec will be good options. I'd consider changing the oil at moderate intervals, especially if you find the oil level rising above the top hole on the dipstick. That happened to me once during a cold winter and a lot of short trip driving. You may also want to look at Castrol EDGE or Magnatec, those would be two interesting options in this engine due to the unique chemistry. Castrol is one of the only companies that talks about the performance of their oil in the Kurt Orbahn shear stability test.

Kurt Orbahn Shear Stability
Test evaluates the shear stability of polymer-containing fluids. The test method measures the percent viscosity loss at 100°C when evaluated by the European diesel injector apparatus. ASTM D6278 is typically run at 30 passes, but can be customized. ASTM D7109 requires data to be collected at 30 and 90 passes. Reported in cSt. KV at 100°C before and after shear and % loss in viscosity. Both methods are ISO 17025 Accredited.

Originally Posted by PimTac

+1

NOACK is meaningless for these. I'd use D1G2 or Idemitsu's 0W-20. Honda did release a new calibration for the older 1.5Ts to fix fuel dilution issues and your GF/fiance's car might have the updated one. If not, push a dealership to do it. Hondas in general aren't picky about oil.

The reason I think a D1G2 oil is better in this case is minimizing the risk of low-speed preignition which is a concern in small displacement turbo engines.

Originally Posted by CT8
NOACK what is the big deal? It is like a new word BITOG people learned.

It may point to base stock quality or just DP pack diluent and intentional solvents

I don't like the test ut ubi est

Id like to see intial % off, then cool to STP and remake % off . show both numbers:

Like: A= 6%, B= 3%

Or anticipated in a 85% high group synthetic

A=7%, B=2%

M1 0W20 EP ( pao synthetic) over AFE ( synthetic blend )

purportedly

Back