Flood cars from Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Floods happen in many places and don't even make the news but the cars affected will end up in used car lots across the country or even outside of it.

Buyer beware on any used car.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Looks like there is another batch of flood cars from the Houston area. Imelda turned out to be pretty bad even though it wasn't officially a hurricane.

...and from the news footage, looks like some of the flood cars were owner-caused....numerous drivers going through hip deep water.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm sure they'll find their way to NY to be sold. Let the buyer beware.

There is an endless parade of used and wholesale cars heading south through our little town. Doubt the drivers speak much English. Many will wind up crossing the border.

During the Harvey aftermath … lots of Houston traffic came through here since the rivers left the banks. They bought out all the lifted 4WD PU's… Chevy, GMC, and Ram (Ford does not sell lifted PU's here)

Insured or lienholder vehicles will end up with a salvage title. It's the paid off, uninsured vehicles you gotta worry about. Those usually find their way to a used car lot far away from the flood.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'm sure they'll find their way to NY to be sold. Let the buyer beware.

There is an endless parade of used and wholesale cars heading south through our little town. Doubt the drivers speak much English. Many will wind up crossing the border.

Just the vehicles 10 years old and older go south economically.

Originally Posted by 4WD
What's your source for that ?

Correction: Used vehicles imported into Mexico must be more than 5 years old and less than 10 years old.
Or at least that WAS the rule....I think that regulation has been removed. Sorry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I'll take my chances with a second gen Suburban that's had a short submersion.

You mean your families taking a chance on the brake system of a flooded vehicle.

And, what's considered a "short" submersion and how exactly does that differ from a "long" submersion? I always thought flooded was flooded...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

You mean your families taking a chance on the brake system of a flooded vehicle.

And, what's considered a "short" submersion and how exactly does that differ from a "long" submersion? I always thought flooded was flooded...

It's a general statement that I would buy one and try fixing it. No rust down there. Calm down big guy.

I think it matters more how high the water got and what systems were affected. I wouldn't think that brakes would be that much to worry about, it's a pretty basic system, it keeps brake fluid in the system and would also keep water out. If the flood level of the car went above the master cylinder, then I think it'd be completely totaled. You really worry about electronics, corrosion would show up a couple years later as all the wiring would start rusting away from exposure to salt water.

Hundreds of cars blocking roads. No rust. Just a lil wet..
04.gif

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/19/us/imelda-rain-forecast-thursday-wxc/index.html

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I think it matters more how high the water got and what systems were affected. I wouldn't think that brakes would be that much to worry about, it's a pretty basic system, it keeps brake fluid in the system and would also keep water out. If the flood level of the car went above the master cylinder, then I think it'd be completely totaled. You really worry about electronics, corrosion would show up a couple years later as all the wiring would start rusting away from exposure to salt water.

Wasn't aware a branded title states how deep the water was.🤔.. Nevertheless, corrosion can take some time to appear...so there's that.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Wasn't aware a branded title states how deep the water was.🤔.. Nevertheless, corrosion can take some time to appear...so there's that.

I think he meant he was taking his chances on the hopes that it was just a short submersion and not a full one. Only way to tell is to try and take a look and see if there's a water line somewhere or a good inspection like check the fuse box for signs of water etc. That would be why a pre-purchase inspection would be important. But I'd never bother with a flooded car, once it has a salvage title, any extended manufacturer warranty and any of the original warranty would be void. I believe they still have to fix it if there was a recall, but the savings and potential headaches afterwards from corrosion aren't worth it. Flood cars tend to develop odd problems that no one can figure out how to fix because it doesn't happen to anyone else because their cars weren't flooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back