2017 Chrysler Pacifica Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did infact pick up the 2017 Pacifica I asked about last week. The oil was very black so I changed it Sunday to PUP 0w20 with a Purolator One filter. I noticed high oil temps on the drive home. After changing the oil it's down a little but still higher than expected on interstate driving. before the oil change it maxed out at 240*F. Now the highest I have seen it is 232*F. This is at around 1,750RPM at 75 MPH. I do have another chance of PUP and a Wix filter for my next oil change. After that I was planning on regular Pennzoil Platinum and following the Oil Life Monitor. With that high of temps I was wondering if I should use QSUD which has a little more focus on anti wear but then is it going to leave more deposits due to the oil temp? Help me choose between QSUD and PP 0w-20 for my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L w/ 3.6L Pentastar (5 Quart Capacity Sump NOT 6) W/ 9Spd Auto

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the engine? You mentioned the oil being very black when you picked it up -- wondering if there's residual dirt still working its way through. The lower temps after the change are promising, but still on the high side.

Originally Posted by Hoot_r
Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the engine? You mentioned the oil being very black when you picked it up -- wondering if there's residual dirt still working its way through. The lower temps after the change are promising, but still on the high side.

It had about 11,500 miles on it when I bought it. It was a 1 year lease in 17 that ended up sold at auction. it still has bumper to bumper warranty. I know the engine is still breaking in and that could be part of the higher temps but I have a 2015 Charger 3.6L AWD I bought with 32k miles on it and now it's about to hit 70k. On the interstate even pushing 82MPH temps dont normally exceed 195. It also has the 6 quart sump though.

Yes either oil is fine. You'll be fine, don't sweat it.

If that was me and I was that concerned, I'd probably run some cheap 5w-20 through it for a short 1000 OCI to see if that cleaned it up.

Originally Posted by Mathew_Boss

It had about 11,500 miles on it when I bought it. It was a 1 year lease in 17 that ended up sold at auction. it still has bumper to bumper warranty. I know the engine is still breaking in and that could be part of the higher temps but I have a 2015 Charger 3.6L AWD I bought with 32k miles on it and now it's about to hit 70k. On the interstate even pushing 82MPH temps dont normally exceed 195. It also has the 6 quart sump though.

Lease? With oil as dirty as you described, I wonder about maintenance during that 1 year period. Were there any service records that came along with the vehicle?

Lease? With oil as dirty as you described, I wonder about maintenance during that 1 year period. Were there any service records that came along with the vehicle?

No service records. My charger oil life is always exactly 10k miles and I know the van is rated up to 10k miles. Worst case scenario I did the first oil change it ever had and it was 1,500 miles late. I think the two oil changes of PUP would clean any deposits that may be there. There didnt appear to be any sludge on the cartridge filter. The filter. Was also not installed properly so there a chance it was. Changed at some point. With the Pentastar the oil filter snaps onto the end cap and this on was just placed down in the engine with the cap screwed on.

Last edited:
What is the water temp when the oil is 232°? My 2018 RAM 3.6 the oil temp will slowly follow the water temp, higher and lower. The water will go from 195° to 230°.

Originally Posted by oldhp
What is the water temp when the oil is 232°? My 2018 RAM 3.6 the oil temp will slowly follow the water temp, higher and lower. The water will go from 195° to 230°.

Yeah water temp was right around 230 as well. On my dash it was still below half way on the temp gauge. My Charger water temp also follows the oil. It didnt seem concerned but everything just seems higher than I expected. I know oil does help cool the engine. the Pacifica forum folks say its normal. Maybe it's just a byproduct of the 5 quart sump.

For oil choice would go go for anti wear QSUD or extra detergent on PP

Originally Posted by ATex7239
Have you checked the fans, radiator, coolants, etc for levels and obstruction as well?

All fluid levels are good with no leaks. I dont recall checking the fan. We bought the van on Saturday and my Niece was diagnosed with Leukemia Monday morning so we have put almost 700 miles on it driving back and forth since then. I'll check tonight to see if the fan spins.

Originally Posted by ATex7239
Have you checked the fans, radiator, coolants, etc for levels and obstruction as well?

All fluid levels are good with no leaks. I dont recall checking the fan. We bought the van on Saturday and my Niece was diagnosed with Leukemia Monday morning so we have put almost 700 miles on it driving back and forth since then. I'll check tonight to see if the fan spins.

The fan on my wifes Buick was squeaking last week and engine temp was hotter than normal. WD40 fixed it right up. But my fan issues were at idle, I wouldn't imagine (referencing your problem) it is on at highway speed.

I have however rigged up the fan to run all the time in past, when the car has over heating issues... but that's a broke and need my old junky car fix... not a new car fix

Originally Posted by oldhp

Yeah water temp was right around 230 as well. On my dash it was still below half way on the temp gauge. My Charger water temp also follows the oil. It didnt seem concerned but everything just seems higher than I expected. I know oil does help cool the engine. the Pacifica forum folks say its normal. Maybe it's just a byproduct of the 5 quart sump.

For oil choice would go go for anti wear QSUD or extra detergent on PP

I put QSUD 5W20 in the wife's Charger 3.6. I like the amount of moly it has in it.
I just bought the Chevron Supreme 5W20 5qt jug 6 pack form Walmart for $73.19 to my door. This is going in my 2018 RAM 3.6.

Last edited:
Those oil temperatures are probably within reason especially if it's a hot day.

So I figured out the oil/water temps today. I80 from Lincoln to Omaha was down to 1 lane and temps were fine until I hot up to speed after construction. The Pacifica has Grill Shutters that prevent air from going through the grill. After I use my two PUP changes I will try PP and do a UOA then try QSUD and do a UOA to see how much wear difference there is. Thanks for all the help on this one. Cant believe I didnt think of the active shutters sooner.

I took two of the shutter flaps out of the Grill shutters on my 18' RAM 3.6. Just those two make all the difference in the world. 75MPH...95°....used to be 225°'ish...now 203°-205°..and oil stays with the water temp too. If I'm putting around the back roads @ 7-10MPH around the water temp will still up to 230° but go down fast if you get above 25MPH, oil temp will follow.

Last edited:
So I figured out the oil/water temps today. I80 from Lincoln to Omaha was down to 1 lane and temps were fine until I hot up to speed after construction. The Pacifica has Grill Shutters that prevent air from going through the grill. After I use my two PUP changes I will try PP and do a UOA then try QSUD and do a UOA to see how much wear difference there is. Thanks for all the help on this one. Cant believe I didnt think of the active shutters sooner.

A UOA isn't going to give you the information you are looking for there.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

A UOA isn't going to give you the information you are looking for there.

How does a UOA comparing oils not give me info on how they affect wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back